Robin Hood Arms Clipper Headstamp

MichDig

Forum Supporter
I found this shotgun brass in my yard, oddly enough. I live in west Michigan, and not much here is really very old. My lot was carved out of the oaks and sand dunes about 20 years ago. Before the oaks came in, this area was covered with white pine, which was completely logged off, so maybe this was a remnant of those days.

It appears to be one of these from the early 1900s: http://www.soldusa.com/rainworx/detail.asp?id=52828 but I'll let Turtlehead and others chime in...

Attachments

• robinhood.jpg
    robinhood.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 1,785
picture.php

That is a great find! Robin Hood heads are some of my very favorite of all! The clipper is a classic Robin Hood headstamp. It is definately a rare find! I don't have good production date at all for this company, so the best that I can give you is the "company dates".

Robin Hood Ammunition Company was created by the Robin Hood Powder Company in 1906 and was purchased by the Remington Arms Company in 1916. Shells were still procued with the Robin Hood Ammunition Co. headstamp until 1919. Basically, 1906-1919 is the most probable date range for your headstamp.

It really is an amazing find! Congratulations!
Doug

Turtle, I had no idea. I almost pitched it, along with the other shotgun brasses I dig up. Is it worth anything? It's not in very good condition.

Believe it or not, it is in excellent condition for a RHA Co. headstamp. Here is the best quality Clipper that I have in my collection.

http://headstamps.x10.mx/rhaclp12_001.html

You asked if it is worth anything. Unfortunately, no. There is a very, very small amount of headstamps that will be worth anything. All brass shells, some bullet casings and complete shotshells is a different story though (especially boxes).

The true value is shotshell heads is what they can tell you about the area you are detecting, the person that lost or discarded the shotshell, general information about the community you are hunting in or near, and to an extent national "thoughts" during that time period.

There is a small group of people who are avid collectors of shotshell heads though, me included. Many people collect them for many reasons. For me, it is an obsession. I want to see just how many different lines and varieties within the lines I can identify. I want to learn what I can about these lines of shells, how they were marketed, who they were marketed to, why the companies chose the names, what the names meant during the time they were sold and so much more.

My personal collection consists of over 5,000 shotshell heads from all over the world. My shotshell heads include pinfire heads found in Civil War battlefields, shotshell heads found on the Jersey shore, from early New England home sites, silver mine and gold mine areas, city parks and so much more. I have a dozen different gauges so far.

You truly have a great find!
Doug

Turtle, I had no idea. I almost pitched it, along with the other shotgun brasses I dig up. Is it worth anything? It's not in very good condition.

turtlefoot would be willing to save that shotshell from cluttering up the landfill ! he accepts donations and he is very deserving and with his knowledge and help here he is most deserving of it. No pressure though ! :grin:

Very cool. Found my first rha today. I just rinsed it with water. It's in pretty nice shape.

Attachments

• IMG_2014102625564.jpg
    IMG_2014102625564.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 1,230
Clipper RHA Co. Head stamp Find

I found this one today, Had no idea the age until I read the postings.

Attachments

• Robin.jpg
    Robin.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 514
cool find. I miss turtlefoot, has anyone heard from him? His webpage has been down for forever as well. Guy was a wealth of knowledge on headstamps

Back
Top Bottom