New Idea has anyone tried?

Because some people readily admit to detecting on private property without permission, seemingly operating under the principle that: "If I ain't caught, then it ain't illegal".

Hey there F.O.: I invite you to go back through this post, and see where any of this topic dealt with private property. And/or "without permission".

On the contrary, it was just about golf courses in general. Read it again and you'll see. And so that you know (this might come as a surprise), but lots of golf courses are public. Many cities have municipal courses.

Thus again I ask : Why this starting premise, that some people here have, that every passerby automatically reviles md'rs ?

Bear in mind this notion of "black eye" also comes up in the discussion of "do we need permission to detect city parks ?" (or to "inquire if it's legal"....etc...) The same pushback gets floated: That UNLESS you do so, you are a "black-eye" to the hobby. But don't you see how this just hinges on the notion that md'ing is abhorrent, reviled, dangerous, hated, etc...? Why this starting premise ? :?:

If the discussion were about "Is it ok to hop fences and trespass ?", then yes, your black-eye observation would be appropriate. But notice that was NOT the subject of this thread. Ok ?

Because some people readily admit to detecting on private property without permission, seemingly operating under the principle that: "If I ain't caught, then it ain't illegal".

Who has posted such a thing? Where did you read that?

Hey there F.O.: I invite you to go back through this post, and see where any of this topic dealt with private property. And/or "without permission".
Really? OP never stated he was referring solely to municipal courses, actually…just old ones, active or shut down. Those can be private, you do know this, yes?

Also, I invite you to go back and read the post to which I was responding. It was actually from you, where you asked why there is a constant drumbeat that md’rs are reviled. I simply answered your question, never once mentioning golf courses in doing so.
However, I will add that in this very thread, some people have mentioned that they feel getting permission is important, and possibly required. So I think you’re maybe being just a bit disingenuous with your response.

On the contrary, it was just about golf courses in general. Read it again and you'll see.
I did…
Golf courses, in general, can be private, public, or municipal…and all three can have someone arrested for trespassing.

And so that you know (this might come as a surprise), but lots of golf courses are public. Many cities have municipal courses.
OK…so…what’s your point? Are you suggesting that trespass laws don’t apply? If that were the case, then why do I have to pay a fee to use the course, Tom? Why can’t I just walk out there and start playing? Plus, many golf courses are not public. You do know that being open to the public and being publicly owned are not the same thing.

Thus again I ask : Why this starting premise, that some people here have, that every passerby automatically reviles md'rs ?
No one stated that that is the starting premise. You always make that the starting premise though, so you can go on your “no one cared until some one asked” rant.

…But don't you see how this just hinges on the notion that md'ing is abhorrent, reviled, dangerous, hated, etc...? Why this starting premise ? :?:
No one makes this their starting premise.

If the discussion were about "Is it ok to hop fences and trespass ?", then yes, your black-eye observation would be appropriate.
Then why wasn’t it appropriate when I’ve brought it up in many other threads? Also, just to be clear, I never made any "black-eyed observation" comment.

But notice that was NOT the subject of this thread. Ok ?
Lol...you saying that it's "NOT" the subject of this thread does not make it so. Based on a few responses in this thread, I think that it is, indeed, at least part of the discussion.

..... Also, just to be clear, I never made any "black-eyed observation" comment.....

You're right . GTS225 said this first. But in post #40, you seemed to concur with the notion. Eh ?

But back to the issue of the thread : Assuming that it is not "trespassing" to be on a golf course (or that someone has permission), then : That's where I question the notion that MD'ing = a black-eye. And or "Can't do it till someone else gives you a green light and red-carpet-rolled-out".

The golf courses I'm talking about are courses where no one would bat an eye if someone were walking through there. For example: The one in my neighborhood is where people take their daily walks, etc....

But sure, if you have an image of Fort Nox type private resort , then sure, Ok.

I'm going to make one last post on this thread, and then no more.

Maybe, regardless of legalities, we all should consider something about MD'ing on properties that others might find inappropriate behavior.

Ready for it? BECAUSE THEY DON'T WANT US THERE!

Golfers don't want to see us digging holes in "thier" course. Softballers don't want to see us digging holes in "thier" fields. Track competitors don't want to see us digging holes in "thier" tracks and fields. It matters not that we might do a damn good job filling in our plugs.....they still don't want you doing it.

Why do you think we (collectively) stay out of cemeteries, even though there might be no written law against it? Because it's unacceptable behavior.

IT AIN'T THAT HARD TO FIGURE OUT! Some of you will tell yourself anything to justify to yourself that it's ok to go over there and dig a hole to get what's buried.
And going to do such deeds at night, or very early in the a.m., or when traffic in the area is low, is just phony justification for doing it.

I suggest this; Those of you that use any arguement to justify to yourselves that it's OK to pirate anywhere you want, need to re-examine your own personal standards of conduct.
(You know who you are.)

Off the soapbox.....Roger

Maybe, regardless of legalities, we all should consider something about MD'ing on properties that others might find inappropriate behavior.

Roger, bummer that you won't chime in further.

But to answer your last post : SURE ! Some people find md'ing to be "inappropriate behavior" AGREED ! And that's not only for golf courses, it's also for : Beaches, parks, schools, forests, deserts, etc.... What you are saying can be said of EVERYWHERE.

Because, SURE the "connotation" (image) of a man-with a metal detector is : "Gee, he might be about to leave a hole" or he might be about to "take some old thing". I GET IT !! :shock:

So : If the day comes when we are to supposed to make sure every-last-one of those persons "signs off" on us, then you almost have to ask yourself : Why then did you take up this hobby ? YOU CAN ALWAYS FIND SOMEONE to "take offense". If I scour the general public long enough, I can ALWAYS find someone to think md'ing is weird, harmful, and inappropriate.

But I have long-since given up thinking that's its my duty to convert every last person on earth. Do I wish those few kill-joys didn't think this way ? OF COURSE ! But will I convert them ? OF COURSE NOT .

Heck, I even had a lady accost me on the beach one time, because she thought my detector was emitting sounds/frequencies that only dogs could hear (and thus was harming or bothering her dog ? :?: ) Yes, I understand that golf courses "carry much more connotation". I get it. But just saying that if our standard-of-measure is that we have to make sure that every last person doesn't think it's "inappropriate", is the day when you might as well give up md'ing anywhere :(

I'm going to make one last post on this thread, and then no more.

Ready for it? BECAUSE THEY DON'T WANT US THERE!

Golfers don't want to see us digging holes in "thier" course. Softballers don't want to see us digging holes in "thier" fields. Track competitors don't want to see us digging holes in "thier" tracks and fields. It matters not that we might do a damn good job filling in our plugs.....they still don't want you doing it.

Why do you think we (collectively) stay out of cemeteries, even though there might be no written law against it? Because it's unacceptable behavior.

IT AIN'T THAT HARD TO FIGURE OUT! Some of you will tell yourself anything to justify to yourself that it's ok to go over there and dig a hole to get what's buried.
And going to do such deeds at night, or very early in the a.m., or when traffic in the area is low, is just phony justification for doing it.

I suggest this; Those of you that use any arguement to justify to yourselves that it's OK to pirate anywhere you want, need to re-examine your own personal standards of conduct.
(You know who you are.)

Off the soapbox.....Roger

Nobody in their right mind would dig holes in a golf course or a cemetary

unless they got permission from the owner of the properties,

But if those permissions were granted, Just because someone else doesnt

want us there, does not make those people automatically right.

Ther are alot of things in life I dont like, but I do have to accept them.

This coming weekend I got a permission at a horse track, I was told not to dig too deep and fill in the holes or the horses might break a leg and I am fine with that. Some people seeing me dig on the track might be upset, so be it.
J/K
:laughing:

This coming weekend I got a permission at a horse track, I was told not to dig too deep and fill in the holes or the horses might break a leg and I am fine with that. Some people seeing me dig on the track might be upset, so be it.
J/K
:laughing:
Don't step on the road apples! :laughing:

You're right . GTS225 said this first. But in post #40, you seemed to concur with the notion. Eh ?
I concur with the notion that detecting on private property without permission makes detectorists, as a whole, look bad , yes. You disagree with this assessment, I assume, eh?

But back to the issue of the thread : Assuming that it is not "trespassing" to be on a golf course (or that someone has permission), then : That's where I question the notion that MD'ing = a black-eye.
Ummmm if “you’re” not trespassing or if you have permission, then who thinks you’re gving MD’ing a black-eye? You seem to love to create all of these fictitious villains just so you can once again go on one of your infamous “No one cared until someone asked” diatribes. I will admit that you may have a point however, as “location is everything”, and elaborate more on this shortly.

The golf courses I'm talking about are courses where no one would bat an eye if someone were walking through there. For example: The one in my neighborhood is where people take their daily walks, etc....
Look, we undoubtedly have different life stories. Maybe where you live golf courses are free, open spaces where anyone can just wander out there and use the facilities as they see fit, free of charge. A wonderous Utopia where harmony and goodwill abound. I don’t live there though.

Yes, I have seen non-golfers walking on a golf course, sometimes even with a dog! Most commonly, I’ve seen this behavior on courses that are lined with homes, and I assumed that person walking probably lives in one of those homes. Regardless of who they are or where they live, I don’t care that they’re out there walking…good for them, it’s a nice, healthy thing to do.

Additionally, if someone was out there metal detecting and being courteous to golfers on the course (i.e not slowing up pace of play, replacing plugs, etc), then I wouldn’t care about that activity either. But not every detectorist is as perfect as you Tom, and not all golfers are as mild-mannered as myself. I have serious doubts that, at least on any of the courses that I play, none of the other golfers see this person as anything other than…well… a “black-eye” on our hobby. Of course, a positive interaction between the two parties could alleviate any concerns, and possibly change the golfer’s opinions about detectorists, buuuuuuuuuuuuut, that’s not the World we currently live in. And even if close to 99% of the golfers were courteous and couldn’t care less about the MD’er, it only takes that 1 or 2 % to raise a stink.

What’s funny is how for you this sort of thing is never the issue when it comes to detecting being “banned” somewhere. Nope, with you it always the enigma of: “No one cared until someone asked”. It’s not someone detecting on private property without permission. It’s not someone detecting on a soccer/baseball/football field. It’s not someone detecting on a golf course. Nope, none of those things lead to “bans”. It’s always and only because someone had the gall to ask permission. If I went detecting on my local course…even I at night…and were confronted by an agent of the course (owner, manager, police officer, etc) and asked to leave, I would be very surprised if that within a day or two, there wasn’t a sign posted banning all metal detecting, even though I didn’t even bother to ask permission to begin with.

But sure, if you have an image of Fort Nox type private resort , then sure, Ok.
Where do you come up with this stuff? Who said anything about “Fort Nox” type private resorts? I’m beginning to think that your middle name is Hyperbole. Any golf course, be it private, open to public, or municipal, can have someone trespassed, Tom. For me personally, I cannot, for the life of me, imagine myself wandering out onto ANY golf course with a metal detector and not expect to be confronted by some one at some point, asking me what the hell I was doing. Again, maybe in your Utopian World this is not the case, but I unfortunately do not live in a place like you apparently do.

....You disagree with this assessment, I assume, eh?

Yes. I disagree that : Trespass was the topic of this thread. Instead I propose that : Golf courses was the topic of this thread. Ok ?

....then who thinks you’re gving MD’ing a black-eye?....

You did. In post #40, you seemed to concur with the notion. And you confirm this notion further in your post #50. Eh ?

....But not every detectorist is as perfect as you Tom....

Ok. And not every driver is as good as a driver as you. Should we disallow driving automobiles for everyone then ? No . Instead, we reprimand the bad drivers. Not castigate driving in-general.

But let's just say that a detectorist were "as perfect as me", then ... I think we're getting somewhere : Then you'd agree that they can hunt a golf course then. Right ? :cool3: PERFECT ! Then the solution is not "never hunt golf courses". The solution is : Be a better md'r ! I think we're on common ground now F-O :cool3:

....I have serious doubts that, at least on any of the courses that I play, none of the other golfers see this person as anything other than…well… a “black-eye” on our hobby....

Yes. I agree that is our difference here. And the reason is simple : Because you are *starting* with the premise that : MD'ing is harmful, reviled, abhorent, a black-eye, etc...

....And even if close to 99% of the golfers were courteous and couldn’t care less about the MD’er, it only takes that 1 or 2 % to raise a stink....

Sure. And the same addage can be applied at other places we detect too. If we can agree that "99% of passerbys can care less", yet : It's still our obligation to worry about the 1% that does. And get their permission, approval, convert them, etc.... Right ?

If so, then I disagree with you. If the day ever came when it's our obligation to "convert every last person " (before engaging in our hobby) is the day we all might as well give up md'ing. There will ALWAYS be someone (the 1% that we both agree that exists) that doesn't like md'ing. Eg.: Archies, karen's etc....

Since were on a golf course discussion. :p

A couple weekends ago I detected a dirt path and an old rock foundation

(looked like some kind of chimney or rock stove :?: ) that ran right along a well

known golf course. Across from the foundation only maybe 15 feet was the

fence that divided the trail and golf course, there was an old gate that opens

right into the golf course, Obviously there was something else there on the

course across from the foundation and Im thinking damn, that would be

awesome to give it a try, but a big no no....

Yes. I disagree that : Trespass was the topic of this thread. Instead I propose that : Golf courses was the topic of this thread. Ok ?
Nice try…the topic is whether or not one should metal detect on golf courses, and trespassing is an important aspect of that conversation. Try to keep up.

You did. In post #40, you seemed to concur with the notion. And you confirm this notion further in your post #50. Eh ?
Is being disingenuous and taking statements out of context a habit for you?
Trespassing to metal detect gives the hobby a black eye…even if it occurs on a golf course. Do you agree with this statement, Tom?
Oh, and next time you want to accuse me of saying that metal detecting has a “black-eye” connotation associated with it, make sure to include my entire statement please.
I mean, do you notice how I always include your entire quote? I do this purposefully so people reading it can see exactly what statement of yours I am responding to, and why my response is relevant. From there they can either agree or disagree with my assessment. You constantly include only portions of what I write, and then try to score points to make it appear as if I have said/claimed something that I haven’t actually said or claimed. Please stop.

Ok. And not every driver is as good as a driver as you. Should we disallow driving automobiles for everyone then ? No . Instead, we reprimand the bad drivers. Not castigate driving in-general.
Analogies only work when they’re making a legitimate comparison, Tom. I mean, I can tear this one apart if you want me to, but I think…deep down…even you understand that it is not a very accurate representation of what I stated.

But let's just say that a detectorist were "as perfect as me", then ... I think we're getting somewhere : Then you'd agree that they can hunt a golf course then. Right ? :cool3: PERFECT !
If permission is required (i.e the situation for quite a few golf courses, since they may be, Private: members only, Private: but open to the public, and in some cases, Municipal: where permission may or may not be required), and you have obtained permission, then sure, go ahead and detect.

Then the solution is not "never hunt golf courses". The solution is : Be a better md'r ! I think we're on common ground now F-O :cool3:
The solutions are both to not trespass AND to be a courteous/better MD’r.

Yes. I agree that is our difference here. And the reason is simple : Because you are *starting* with the premise that : MD'ing is harmful, reviled, abhorent, a black-eye, etc...
Jumpin Jesus on a pogo stick, where have I ever started with that premise? You do this constantly in these threads. You take things out of context and then make baseless claims. Here’s exactly what I said:
Originally Posted by FliesOnly in post #50:
“Additionally, if someone was out there metal detecting and being courteous to golfers on the course (i.e not slowing up pace of play, replacing plugs, etc), then I wouldn’t care about that activity either. But not every detectorist is as perfect as you Tom, and not all golfers are as mild-mannered as myself. I have serious doubts that, at least on any of the courses that I play, none of the other golfers see this person as anything other than…well… a “black-eye” on our hobby. Of course, a positive interaction between the two parties could alleviate any concerns, and possibly change the golfer’s opinions about detectorists, buuuuuuuuuuuuut, that’s not the World we currently live in. And even if close to 99% of the golfers were courteous and couldn’t care less about the MD’r, it only takes that 1 or 2 % to raise a stink.”

Now, notice that what I am actually claiming is that some of the golfers on the course might very well view the MD’er as giving the hobby a “black eye” if for no other reason than simply because they’re doing it on a Golf Course. I absolutely did not start with your ridiculous premise, even though that’s the only portion you posted in BOLD print and then stopped, thereby ignoring the additional information I wrote.
What I did was to explain why a golfer may view our hobby in a negative way, nothing more. So please stop accusing me of stating things I have not stated.

Sure. And the same addage can be applied at other places we detect too. If we can agree that "99% of passerbys can care less", yet : It's still our obligation to worry about the 1% that does.
I did not say that we have to worry about them. I simply said that they are the ones that raise a stink.
Tom, when trying to critique something, keeping it in context is important.

And get their permission, approval, convert them, etc.... Right ?
And again you’re being disingenuous and making silly statements just so you can attempt to score points.

If so, then I disagree with you. If the day ever came when it's our obligation to "convert every last person " (before engaging in our hobby) is the day we all might as well give up md'ing.
See my previous statement, Mr. Hyperbole.

There will ALWAYS be someone (the 1% that we both agree that exists) that doesn't like md'ing. Eg.: Archies, karen's etc....
Yep. And sometimes they will complain and possibly get metal detecting banned from certain areas. So, as it turns out, “No one cared until someone asked” isn’t necessarily the be all-end all to bans being implemented, right?
Oh, and I’d be tacitly compliant if I didn’t address your “Archies hate detectorists” statement. I know a few archeologists and I really don’t get the same vibe from them that you do. I’ve even had one of them provide locations for me to metal detect. Maybe it’s you Tom…maybe they just don’t like you?

....maybe they just don’t like you?

A buddy of mine was an archaeologist (now retired). We detected several times whenever I was in his part of the state. He had to keep his hobby a little on the "hush -hush" side, when mingling with fellow archies. But as soon as they were done assessing sites, he'd be back in after work hours :roll:

I hobnob with other archies locally, d/t my museum docent duties. And we get along just fine (although I tend to avoid the subject of md'ing).

Thus Sure : Some are apathetic towards md'ing. Others hate md'rs.

But as for the rest of everything you've said in your post #54 : I'm gonna let you have the last word F-O. See ? I'm a good sport :friends:

There is a course near me that was moved for a highway and when it gets a little warmer here in the frozen tundra I will try and hit it. It has been abandoned for fiftie years or so, not an easy task detecting it or getting to it, wish me luck.

There is a course near me that was moved for a highway and when it gets a little warmer here in the frozen tundra I will try and hit it. It has been abandoned for fiftie years or so, not an easy task detecting it or getting to it, wish me luck.

I can just imagine rings falling off and coins marking the ball locations being left behind.
Let us know if you find anything.
Good Luck.

If asking permission, I'd ask to just go around the edges and maybe some of the ruff and mention you will stay way away from greens. It's the thought of someone doing damage to the greens that cause the staff to shudder in fear. I used to golf when I lived in Central Florida. I've seen the rangers go after guys for leaning on their putter while on the green. :cool: Once your out there a quick sweep or two around the tees and benches should be OK. just play it cool.

Tom in CA. I’m wondering if you actually asked and got permission from the golf course owners? If you did that’s great;you’re lucky. I know around here it would never be allowed. They put too much money into keeping the course groomed to let detectorist’s do their thing. The only kind that could possibly be ok would be a defunct course no longer used. Even then getting permission is always a hit or miss unless it’s owned by the city and considered public property.

Back
Top Bottom