Consequences for detecting in parks without permit?

... or a ranger gives you permission to use a spade on land other than a beach is an ethical question beyond the scope of my reply.

So, let me see if I understand this correctly : If a ranger gave stetam the go-ahead to use a shovel (ie.: they "had no problem with it" as he said), then you're saying : It's STILL UN-ethical , to use the shovel ?

If I was in-compliance with a ranger (a duly appointed LEO rep, after all), then it seems to me that that's about as ETHICAL AS YOU CAN GET . :?:

then you're saying : It's STILL UN-ethical , to use the shovel ?

No Tom, I did not say that. Please don't put words in my mouth. Following, is what I actually said, quoting from my own post --

Whether you wish to comply with the posted rule, or a ranger gives you permission to use a spade on land other than a beach is an ethical question beyond the scope of my reply.

He can bring a backhoe in for all I care. Quote content from my post where I said what he did was "unethical". As quoted above, you just said that I said he was unethical, but you cannot quote from my post where I claim lack of ethics.

What I was actually doing was quoting the DCNR rules from the DCNR website when he told me I was wrong, which I was not. The DCNR rule is that a screwdriver is the only permitted digging tool on DCNR managed land where vegetation is present. I even provided a link to said rule.

First I'm told I'm wrong, when I can provide an official link that proves that I am right. Then I am told I am claiming someone else is unethical, when I don't really care if they are or not.

I was just stating the PA DCNR rules for those who care. And I am being attacked for it. And I thought this was a "friendly" forum.

No Tom, I did not say that. Please don't put words in my mouth.

I was just stating the PA DCNR rules for those who care. And I am being attacked for it. And I thought this was a "friendly" forum.

Yes, this IS the Friendly Forum!

Please let's all remember that!

My question is, has anyone ever had their metal detector confiscated? Has anyone gotten fines? My imagination tells me that what usually would happen is a warning and I leave. But I am a little worried about risking my new Equinox 800! Maybe I'll carry my old old Garret in the trunk as a sacrifice! I guess it's just easier to follow the rules, but, geez, they make it so tough sometimes.

Has *anyone* *ever* ...? Probably. But the reality is, unless you are detecting the white house lawn or area 51, or some other place you obviously shouldn't be, you'll most likely just be asked to stop detecting, possibly issued a "verbal warning." Researching local ordinances, I ran across parks department records showing just a handful of verbal or written warnings given out over many years, and iirc one citation to a repeat offender. Be respectful, don't be dumb, you'll be fine.

... but you cannot quote from my post where I claim lack of ethics....

well then I stand corrected. I thought you were addressing "ethics" (d/t I saw that word in your quote). And not the technical "allowed vs not allowed" part of the discussion. If I misunderstood, then I stand corrected. Please accept my apology.

Most Michigan State Parks allow detecting in certain areas and a minority of parks ban it.
They have a website detailing where you can dig at the permissable parks. Generally the campground and beach areas are a go and the forest is a no go.

Most Michigan State Parks allow detecting in certain areas and a minority of parks ban it....

Guess how they came to "moment or realization" that they needed to "allow" or "disallow" certain parks and/or certain areas. Care to take a guess ?

Back
Top Bottom