Necklace Pendant

TootallTy

Hi! This is my first post and I signed up because I love history and learning about it. Recently, I found what appears to be a filigree necklace pendant that looks really old. Oddly, I found it on public property in the soil surface after a rain. I just picked it up. I found it in northwest San Antonio, TX. Unfortunately what I don't know is, could it have been from the 1700s to early 1800s (colonial Spain) or from the Victorian Era (later part of the 1800s)? Could it be newer than these time periods? Thanks infinitely for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_8390.jpg
    IMG_8390.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_8389.jpg
    IMG_8389.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 243
I think alot of times when we find public park/areas surface finds of costume jewelry, it is usually from a theft. They takes someone's jewelry box and toss out all that is not gold or silver. And pawn the rest.
Unless that was worn and dropped recently. Which is possible but less likely. Ive seen dozens of posts here where a bunch of costume jewelry is buried or tossed from a car.

Thats usually how u find a 1800's cameo on the surface

Thank you

I REALLY appreciate that informative response! Something I know now! VERY interesting! However the color though looks like it could've spent numerous decades in the elements. If this pendant were in someone's jewelry box, wouldn't the pendant be looking a lot nicer than this?

How'd it get there? You'll never know. Possibly your "public space" had some fill dirt brought in to level or augment the soil. Maybe they regraded the surface to make it more level. Maybe they dug up an old water or sewer line and distributed the dug soil all over. Some of my best coin finds, old coins, I find quite shallow. Usually where digging, grading etc has taken place.
It does look Victorian. A jeweler may be able to ID whats left of the cameo. Worth a try.

The thing about Victorian Cameo pendants, is they made them for a very long time! I think they still make authentic carved ones, and I know they currently make cheap imitations.
The only thing about yours is the condition shows damage and some years of dirt time. Could be 12 years old, or 112 years. I would wild guess it at closer to the 112. But, even if it is 112 years old, it might have been dropped 12 years ago, and hit by a mower. The only monetary value is in the scrap metal. Maybe a penny or 2 worth of brass? Other than that, it is fun to find, and shows that someone was there at some time.

...but then after reading some of Flyguy's link, and looking at your photos, I would guess it was carved in shell. They say the brass mounted ones were cheaper ones from the 1940s.

Still a cool find, and even better that you learned something new! Thats all part of the fun for me too.

My appreciation

Thanks ALL for the feedback! To me it looks Victorian from the style, toning, and structure. My guess on the metal is either brass or gold. I've put it in mouthwash (only solution I had with me) because it's acidic in order to get some of the true color to expose and for some of the dirt and grime to go away. It's sat for around 8 hours and it's still quite a bit dirty. VERY hard to clean something so old. Definitely discovered from cleaning with the mouthwash it's got age and a lot of it.

Back
Top Bottom