Hey rock hounds

IowaChris

This isn't a metal detecting find, but I know some of our memebest are experienced in this. My sister found this on a beach near Key West. This particular specimen is smaller than a quarter, and is kind of shaped like a shark tooth, but thicker. The "crystal" is kind of a pale yellow color and the base rock kind of looks like limestone.

Attachments

• 20171230_115031-1.jpg
    20171230_115031-1.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 374
  • 20171230_115017-1.jpg
    20171230_115017-1.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 356
This isn't a metal detecting find, but I know some of our memebest are experienced in this. My sister found this on a beach near Key West. This particular specimen is smaller than a quarter, and is kind of shaped like a shark tooth, but thicker. The "crystal" is kind of a pale yellow color and the base rock kind of looks like limestone.

You should PM Glennz in Alaska, he is a HUGE rockhound:yes:

Could be several things, quartz, calcite, sea worn amber, tumbled glass even among other things. Can't say for sure on just pics.

Initially entering the water, ambergris has the look and odor of something that's been stuck in a whale's intestines for several months -- dark and deeply dung-like. But as the buoyant material bobs in the ocean for decades, exposure to sea, air and sunshine gradually oxidizes the ambergris, lightening the color, hardening the texture and mellowing the aroma into a complex, yet sweet fragrance.

When people first found ambergris washed up on a beach over a millennium ago, the material seemed magical. Ambergris looked and smelled like nothing else, and its origin was a complete mystery. Ambergris was used as a medicine for centuries but when people started large scale production of perfume, the demand for the material soared. Besides its own sweet and lingering smell, ambergris makes all the other aromas it is mixed with last longer too. That's just what the perfume industry wants and they will pay a high price to get it, which is why high quality ambergris can be more valuable than gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SmXfzR5sIQ

You could do a hot pin test, heat up a pin and see if melts a spot otherwise not Ambergris, man never heard of this before and is another treasure, some
countrys not sold.

Last edited:
My guess is a water worn piece of crystalline limestone. Another guess of mine...maybe a water worn piece of agatetized coral?

Back
Top Bottom