What do you say?

Silver_Seeker

Elite Member
OK folks.

What's your dialogue? What exactly do you say when you knock on a door and ask the homeowner if you can dig a couple of hundred holes in their lawn? Obviously, you don't say that....what do you say?

"hi i'm sorry to bother you, my name is Sean &#$*&#&^ I live *&%*%&*. I was in the area looking for some old woods to do some metal detecting in and I noticed your house. It's a beuatiful home.. I was wondering if maybe I could spend some time in your yard doing some metal detecting?, (at this point depending on the pause I can tell if I should push a little more if they say no), "you would never even know I was here, I make a plug (explain what a plug is) and then i replace it and youll never know i was there. If I happened to find anything personal or of true value I would certainly return it to you", " This is where they will ask you what are you looking for ? Have you found anything worth money? (this is where I say Im really looking for old coins, The oldest I have ever found is a 1722 colonial copper,,,They will usually say WOW I bet that was worth some money, simple answer) " I wish, its worth about 6$".... This is where they realize they dont have treasure in their yards and usually say sure....

(mind you manicured yards are alomost always a NO)

What up yo.

Here's the dilly..

I be lookin for some loot and yo crib lookin fine mang..

Axing if it be coo wit you?

<*)))>{

Appearance plays a major factor here. You can be smooth as silk but if you look sketchy, no dice. Shave, tuck your clean shirt into you clean jeans. Wear a belt and smile. If someone feels the least threatened your done.

I agree with the look neat statement 100%.

My pitch is the same every time.

First.. Leave your detector in the car and dress neat. Always smile and be friendly and try to catch them in the yard, but if you do have to knock, when they open the door step back and make sure they see you step back... This will make them feel less confronted for their first impression.

My pitch:

Hi, My name is Sean (Extend my hand to shake) are you the owner of the property?

(If yes)

I was wondering if I could have permission to do some metal detecting on the property to look for old coins, buckles, buttons and things like that.

That's it... Straight forward and simple.

One thing that I make sure of is that I refer to THE property not YOUR property. This takes away the personal connection.

Usually they say yes, but some times they hesitate and I say I'm respectful of the property, I'm neat when I recover targets and chances are that you won't even be able to tell where I've been (make sure you are capable of keeping your word) and if I find anything interesting or something that I think you'd like to see I'll gladly show you.

Now they say yes. Then I'll ask if they mind if I come back this weekend and they say yes and I have a new place.

I close it with... Thank you very much. I appreciate it greatly. If you see my green truck over there (and I point to where I'm going to park) or you see me out here you will know it's me and what I'm doing.

Hopefully I'll find some neat stuff to show you.

That's it... then I leave.

I've only had 1 person say no, but this was at a church and the woman that I asked said yes, but I'm an idiot and instead of detecting on the spot I asked if I could come on the weekend and she said she had to call the pastor.... He was ok with it, but had to talk to someone else. I got the number to call back and I never did. I most likely could have got permission, but I just gave up.

So far I have never been denied permission to detect a single property that I've asked permission for.

Now... get out there and knock on some doors!

Great stuff Sean.

There is a property right next to the HS I work at. 1880 construction on a road that dates from the 1730s. I'll start keeping an eye out and hope to catch the owner in the yard if not, then eventually I'll just knock.

Appearance plays a major factor here. You can be smooth as silk but if you look sketchy, no dice. Shave, tuck your clean shirt into you clean jeans. Wear a belt and smile. If someone feels the least threatened your done.

I don't know that might get you shot in one of my neighboring towns, there idea of dressing up is putting on shoes...:lol:

I don't really plan what I say when I knock at a door, but it pretty much comes out exactly like this-

"Hi, my name is ___. I live [down the road/in x city/] and noticed that you have an old looking house and was wondering if you would mind if [me/me and my dad] went metal detecting around the yard (at this point I usually turn and wave my arm around the front yard) to try to find some old coins and things."

I'm very polite and not at all intimidating looking, so people almost never say no.

I ask my girlfriend to put on her bikini. Then we ride around and look for guys outside in yards. She asks if she can lay out in their yard and get some sun while I detect.

Lol...just kidding.

Clean, courteous, eye contact. Get to the point and be ready to detect immediately if you get a yes. I have never mentioned plugs, digging, etc...just detecting.

When they open the door just slap them as HARD AS YOU CAN. then tell them to get you some lemonade because you're gonna be around for a while.

Get to the point and be ready to detect immediately if you get a yes.
Good point. A lot of yeses are out of being neighborly. They could have some reservations or concerns, but don't want to say no. You want to detect these homes anyway, their concerns will fade. If you come back the next day or hour, the deal could very well be called off.

Also, I like what was said a couple of times here about not taking no for an answer, like a sales person would. Just keep small talking them again, until they say yes because they either want you to shutup or you actually win them over. Either way it is a win. Not that I would be very good at it, but if I keep at it... You have to do it right, or they might call the cops, lol!

When they open the door just slap them as HARD AS YOU CAN. then tell them to get you some lemonade because you're gonna be around for a while.

Oh my gosh! Too funny!!! I just started laughing when I saw this!

Gordon, yours was halarious too!

My last two permissions were granted while I was standing dripping wet with sweat, fresh from the dirty wood. My line is nothing fancy: "Hi, my name is Don. I live just a few blocks, next town over, etc. I do metal detecting as a hobby and would like permission to hunt your property. I'm pretty much just looking for coins but if you lost something I'd be happy to search for it for you."

So far I'm batting a thousand on permissions granted versus denied.

Back
Top Bottom