Man Caught Digging For Treasure In Cemetery !

It is unfortunate to see these kind of things happen. But in these tough economic times, coupled with the high price of gold, I am afraid we are going to see more and more of these stories. Some people are metal detecting now to help pay the bills or to hopefully strike it rich finding gold. They are not in it just for the enjoyment of metal detecting, and are not too concerned with the ethics involved.

According to the police searching for old coins in a grave yard is not against the law, sort of makes one wonder how one can get told not to detect a public park, but digging in a cemetery is ok.

Respect

It is a shame common sense is missing. Will you find stuff if you hunt cemeteries - guaranteed. But why don’t we, because we respect the rights of others. You see those crosses on the side of the road at the site of fatal accidents. Some look like mini shrines. Cemeteries are not different. People grieve in different way and some go to the cemetery and leave thing as part of their grieving process or want to continue the bond with their loves one. Everyone may not feel the same way but people need to at least respect that privacy and leave it these special ground alone. They would not go onto their neighbor’s private property and start digging, so they need to thinks each cemetery plots as being private property. Enough said – Happy hunting everywhere else.
DFX Bob

Here is the "Code of Ethics."
Metal Detectorist's Code of Ethics
I WILL respect private property and do no metal detecting without the owner's permission.
I WILL fill all holes and excavations.
I WILL appreciate and protect our heritage of natural resources, wildlife and private property.
I WILL use thoughtfulness, consideration and courtesy at all times.
I WILL build fires in designated or safe places only.
I WILL leave gates as found.
I WILL remove and properly dispose of any trash that I find.
I WILL NOT litter.
I WILL NOT destroy property, buildings or what is left of ghost towns and deserted structures.
I WILL NOT tamper with signs, structural facilities or equipment.
There seems to be no mention of cemeteries, maybe they closed the gate once they were in, maybe they filled their holes. Maybe they asked, "excuse me I know you're dead, do you mind if I look around your headstone? Thats newspapers for ya they only give part of the story.

Stories like that explain why so many places are banned from hunting for us anymore . People who don't respect anything or anyone will hurt us all .
Theres probably a no metal detecting sign at there gate now .

HH Harold

I have never called the law on someone for anything being a cop caller is last thing in the world that I am but if I saw someone detecting in a cemetary there is a possibility that I would, thats if I didn't beat the snot out of him first. Steve.

Imho

I think detecting in a cemetary is completely uncalled for. There are plenty of other places to hunt. People pay for their grave sites, so each grave is owned by a different person or family. The person in charge of our cemetary better not give someone permission to hunt on my relatives graves. I'd go see him after I finish with the MDer.

Perhaps it is different in other areas but here the individual plots have to be purchased by someone and are deeded just like land you buy to put a home on. The person that takes care of the cemetary cannot give you permission to hunt any land with gravesites because they don't own it. I don't know what I'd do if I went to visit my parents graves and found somebody digging for treasure. I can only imagine how a parent would react to someone desecrating their child's grave. I would never hunt in a cemetary for exactly that reason.

I looked over some of that site, it is a whole nother metal detecting forum and the link i included tells how to obtain permission to hunt cemeteries! Very interesting to say the least.

Personally, I would feel really weird hunting in a cemetary -- even with permission from the caretaker. Just seems wrong some how. I guess some people may be okay with doing it, but I do think it looks bad for the hobby as a whole when they see someone with a metal detector in a grave yard. Kind of ghoulish if you ask me.

Speaking of ghoulish, I just read an aricle last night in the May Lost Treasure Magazine. It was written by some guy that hunts cemetaries. One of his "tips" was to be sure to hunt around headstones that are husband and wife, but one of the spouses is surviving. His thing was a lot of times in situations like that the surviving spouse may leave their wedding bands on the headstone and you can score them by searching the ground around it. Now, I don't care how you feel about hunting cemetaries, but if you see nothing wrong with doing that there is something seriously wrong with you.

Dave

Personally, I would feel really weird hunting in a cemetary -- even with permission from the caretaker. Just seems wrong some how. I guess some people may be okay with doing it, but I do think it looks bad for the hobby as a whole when they see someone with a metal detector in a grave yard. Kind of ghoulish if you ask me.

Speaking of ghoulish, I just read an aricle last night in the May Lost Treasure Magazine. It was written by some guy that hunts cemetaries. One of his "tips" was to be sure to hunt around headstones that are husband and wife, but one of the spouses is surviving. His thing was a lot of times in situations like that the surviving spouse may leave their wedding bands on the headstone and you can score them by searching the ground around it. Now, I don't care how you feel about hunting cemetaries, but if you see nothing wrong with doing that there is something seriously wrong with you.

Dave

I think if a person took a wedding ring from around a headstone of someones spouse they just paved their way to HELL. Just my opinion...Tom

It is most likely folks are brought up being told certain things are a no-no. Hunting cemeteries is one of them, marrying 1 st cousins is another, taking your sister to the prom is one that is taboo in most states! LOL

It is most likely folks are brought up being told certain things are a no-no. Hunting cemeteries is one of them, marrying 1 st cousins is another, taking your sister to the prom is one that is taboo in most states! LOL

That reminds me of a funny story. At least funny to me. I married my wife back in 1999. We live in a pretty rural county in Maryland. When we went to get our marriage license the clerk started asking all the normal questions as she filled out the form. Then she asks us if we are first cousins.

My wife and I werre kind of stunned at first, and tunred and looked at each other. The clerk must have mistaken our stunned looks for a look of perhaps apprehension becuase she quickly jumped in and said, "Oh, it is OK if you are first cousins. You can still get married!! We just need to note it on the license that you are related." My wife and I just busted out laughing.:lol:

Dave

Yes and unfortunately most people that read a story like that, dont realize this is a far-cry from how most involved in this hobby operate.

It is people like these, grave robbers with metal detectors, that give the rest of us a bad name and make it hard for people outside the hobby to see most of us are not like that.

Cemetary caper

Man Caught Digging For Treasure In Cemetery

A man with a metal detector was caught searching for treasures on sacred ground in Nevada County, but was not arrested.

Georgie Coulter and her son noticed a man using a metal detector and shovel at St. Patrick's Cemetery in Grass Valley.

They say the man and his son were digging near a tree where they discovered a cast iron decoration which is most likely part of an old grave.

"He had been here for maybe an hour before my son said: 'We better call police, it just doesn't look right'," said Georgie Coulter.

"It's really kind of sacred ground," explained Matthew Coulter. "There are a lot of people...most of the graves you'll see in here are from Irel and, England, all over the world, and all died before 1900."

Police questioned the man with the metal detector and he told them he was just out looking for coins, which is not a crime. He was not arrested.

The cast iron decoration he found is going to be given to the Catholic church that oversees the cemetery.

(© MMIX, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

:shock: People like that give us a bad name I don't care how old the cemetary is I wouldn't want to find anything from there because there loved ones left it there for them and who know's the person you took it from might come looking for it:lol:.

Back
Top Bottom