A New Police Encounter for Me!

ScubaDetective

In Memory Of
Forum Supporter
Relaxing in my hot tub today I get a phone call. It is a Michigan State Trooper wondering if I am home!

I was and he said he was in my driveway. I told him to let me get dressed and I would be right out. I went out and met him. He said there were complaints about my truck!!

I told him I talked to the state police and have all the information of who I talked to and when. My truck was legal per Michigan law and my bubble on top was only protection for a stuffed octopus.

He took down the information of who I talked to and he was very polite. Told me he would get back with me in a few days.

Love my adventures and this hobby!!

I don't see a close resemblance.

Huh ? Someone griped about the rotating beacon light on top ? Why ?

I'm in the street sweeper business, and all our units have a similar light, like that, on top. They come that way from the manufacturer. No one ever told me they didn't like it. :confused:

Maybe the complaints were from drivers who thought you were "official" and drove the speed limit for miles until they realized you were not "official" and got upset because they could have been speeding the whole time :laughing:

(you might thereby unintentionally be doing them a favor by reducing the number of speeders wherever you drive, good for you Robert !)

Nice that the trooper was polite, he might not have had a problem himself but simply had to investigate because complaints were made.

Last edited:
My dad was a volunteer fireman, and they gave them blue dash lights for when they had a fire call. He got pulled over in Kentucky and was told he had to remove the lights because some of the Kentucky cops had blue and red lights. The trooper said he could "impersonate" a cop and try to pull someone over.:laughing:

My dad was a volunteer fireman, and they gave them blue dash lights for when they had a fire call. He got pulled over in Kentucky and was told he had to remove the lights because some of the Kentucky cops had blue and red lights. The trooper said he could "impersonate" a cop and try to pull someone over.:laughing:

I never understood why volunteer firefighters were given blue flashing lights. PA does that and I don't get it. Why not give them flashing white and red lights? Or flashing red lights? Or any other color than blue?

Not allowing non-police the right to have flashing blue lights is a good rule. If I recall correctly, growing up there was a rash of rapes (and robberies too, I think) by individual(s) impersonating law enforcement. And all they needed was a flashing blue light on their dash to commit the crime by pulling over the unsuspecting woman, claim they were in an unmarked vehicle, then have their way with her.

Huh ? Someone griped about the rotating beacon light on top ? Why ?

I'm in the street sweeper business, and all our units have a similar light, like that, on top. They come that way from the manufacturer. No one ever told me they didn't like it. :confused:

My beacon isn't a beacon. It is an empty shell with a stuffed octopus in it. Completely legal in Michigan

ScubaDetective said:
I don't see a close resemblance.

You're probably the only one.

I'm a car guy, rarely speed enough to be noticed, and I'd still be slowing down if I saw that behind me, even more so now that you show me what the your HP drives.

It's legal. Fine. It has an octopus, not a light. Fine. Trying to find a polite way to say... IMO it's a feminine hygieney way to get attention. Are you like 16? Did you post this on April 1st?

I'm a car guy, rarely speed enough to be noticed, and I'd still be slowing down if I saw that behind me, even more so now that you show me what the your HP drives.

It's legal. Fine. It has an octopus, not a light. Fine. Trying to find a polite way to say... IMO it's a feminine hygieney way to get attention. Are you like 16? Did you post this on April 1st?

:laughing:

This happened today and that is why the post today. I enjoy standing out and grabbing attention and that is why the truck. A marketing gimmick. I am well liked where I live and for what I do and I have over 4 thousand followers on Facebook.

A LOT know of my encounters with LEO and I have posted many of my adventures on here. I have received 6 citations for metal detecting and diving and I have won every one of them. I also have had well over 20 encounters with LEO and have had some interesting conversations. Some agree with me others do not. NOT my problem.

This hobby brings me a lot of fun and a lot of adventure and I love and enjoy it.

Some feel I should bow down to any officer that confronts me. BUT everyone that knows me on here knows that will never happen. I will govern myself the way I feel is best for me. If anyone doesn't like it, move on to the next post.

Awesome

Now, that is awesome! I like your marketing gimmick. Yes, it’s borderline skirting the law, but it gets you attention... so it is doing it’s intended purpose.

I also like the fact that you were able to beat any metal detecting citation you were given. As a private citizen it is good to understand the law and fight back when uninformed officers issue illegal tickets.

Now, that is awesome! I like your marketing gimmick. Yes, it’s borderline skirting the law, but it gets you attention... so it is doing it’s intended purpose.

I also like the fact that you were able to beat any metal detecting citation you were given. As a private citizen it is good to understand the law and fight back when uninformed officers issue illegal tickets.

As most here know I do have a slight advantage as a private citizen. I was a state police officer for 9 years.

Maybe the complaints were from drivers who thought you were "official" and drove the speed limit for miles until they realized you were not "official" and got upset because they could have been speeding the whole time :laughing:

(you might thereby unintentionally be doing them a favor by reducing the number of speeders wherever you drive, good for you Robert !)

Nice that the trooper was polite, he might not have had a problem himself but simply had to investigate because complaints were made.

You really do not know how much truth is in your statement!!

I don't think you'll be hearing any more about the non-light from the state hwy patrol. An octopus is allowed to ride on the roof, and they have better things to do. :stop:

You should put a "doughnut" in there with the octopus... that might tweak them if they don't have a sense of humor. :police: :clapping:

You really do not know how much truth is in your statement!!

It would not surprise me at all if that's who complained, and I wonder if the LEOs realize you are likely helping keep the roads safer where you drive :yes:

Thanks for knowing the laws Robert and standing up for what's right knowing you've done nothing wrong.

Good for you Scuba! There are too many people who allow others to walk right over the top of them. Those who would complain about your truck are the kind that would whine if their ice cream was cold! If you used a color scheme similar to an F-16 would you be impersonating an air force pilot? :laughing: Let 'em pound sand!

I think the Michigan police need to move into the 21st century. Haven't seen one of those bubbles in many years around here. Most cop cars now have the bar of lights on top or hidden lights in the grille. Hard to sneak up on anyone with that huge bubble on top! LOL!

I think the Michigan police need to move into the 21st century. Haven't seen one of those bubbles in many years around here. Most cop cars now have the bar of lights on top or hidden lights in the grille. Hard to sneak up on anyone with that huge bubble on top! LOL!

True using those bubble tops went out with Mayberry , haven't seen one on a police car in years except in old movies. :laughing::police:

True using those bubble tops went out with Mayberry , haven't seen one on a police car in years except in old movies. :laughing::police:

I was thinking the same thing.

On the one hand, the truck looks a lot like a law enforcement vehicle. On the other hand, when was the last time you saw a law enforcement vehicle with that type of emergency light?

What kind of side arms are they carrying, 38 special revolvers? And I bet their radios use 9V batteries, too.

Back
Top Bottom