Dollars

maxbet

So I never hear about people roll hunting dollar coins.. is this because there is nothing to find or because they're hard to get or pricey?

What's the deal??

Anyone ever try it?

Well for one there is no silver and looking through tons of dollar coins just to find missing edge lettering errors just doesn't seem all that fun to me.

I agree with you (about not wanting to meticulously look for errors but I'm sorta wondering if there's anything old,foreign or cool that is the appropriate size to be misplaced into dollar rolls

The only reason I'm not looking through them is everyone hates them, and I don't want to be the bad guy bringing in $1,000 in dollar coins to the bank. they would hate that. Everytime I bring in change I ask for any big dollars and they always try to pawn off the gold dollar coins to me. They have more than they know what to do with.

If that wasn't an issue, I'd get a bag from the bank. 2012 and 2013 dollar coins are in limited supply as most were only released for collectors. Plus, you never know what you could find in a bag of those. Got this in a bag of halves, so anything could be in the dollar coins.

Attachments

• 20130725_192701~01.jpg
    20130725_192701~01.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 281
I was buying loads of them just to fill my treasure chest to see how much it held.....then my wife decided we need a vacation and overnight...poof...:laughing:

I ask for dollars whenever I am at the bank.

But usually they will not have them.

Unless you order them.

Come to my banks. They have bags in the machine, and rows of them in their tray. Last time I was in my change came to $57.?? and they offered to pay the whole thing in dollar coins. I was like, no thanks.

On a side but slightly related subject. I would be all for the coin if they would just stop the paper dollar, but as long as that is around, the dollar coins are just going to sit. Plus, detecting dollar coins is SWEEET!!

That's what is good about Canada, $1 and $2 notes replaced by coins, larger coins to drop and to be found. Clad totals there multiply a lot faster than US totals

I always ask my teller for funky or old coins... halves or anything and she only ever seems to have the gold dollar coins. I've been saving the 99-2000 Sacagawea dollars, but toss the others in a coffee can to juice up my rainy day fund.

Maybe one day my teller will have something good... at least I hope!

I always ask my teller for funky or old coins... halves or anything and she only ever seems to have the gold dollar coins. I've been saving the 99-2000 Sacagawea dollars, but toss the others in a coffee can to juice up my rainy day fund.

Maybe one day my teller will have something good... at least I hope!

Inspired by this thread I headed over to the bank during my lunch.. I haven't been there in a few weeks.

Of course my teller wasn't there, so I asked the other lady for anything she had as far as dollar/half dollar coins. She pulled out a few gold dollar coins and I said I'd take them... and then as I'm looking at them she pulls out three halfs. I asked her if I could have those too, and sure enough they were all 40%'ers!

I couldn't believe my luck... I've been doing this on and off for a year or more and haven't scored any silver from my bank!. I'm glad I was checking out the board and decided to go ask. :lol:

Attachments

• coins.jpg
    coins.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 147
Inspired by this thread I headed over to the bank during my lunch.. I haven't been there in a few weeks.

Of course my teller wasn't there, so I asked the other lady for anything she had as far as dollar/half dollar coins. She pulled out a few gold dollar coins and I said I'd take them... and then as I'm looking at them she pulls out three halfs. I asked her if I could have those too, and sure enough they were all 40%'ers!

I couldn't believe my luck... I've been doing this on and off for a year or more and haven't scored any silver from my bank!. I'm glad I was checking out the board and decided to go ask. :lol:

Are you kiddin me! I've gone 6 times to two or three banks and they haven't had loose halves! What kinda bank were they at? Could that help me?

Well I've asked probably 40-50 times over the past two years, this is the first time I've gotten anything... maybe it's right place right time, pure dumb luck, or it's a numbers game??

I for one agree that using dollar coins instead of paper dollars is a good idea... but only if vending machines can take dollar coins. I know it sounds stupid, but I think that is part of the reason that it hasn't taken off.

Back
Top Bottom