choices, choices, choices

sillygirl

Hi all you metal detector fiends! Okay so I'm new to the whole metal detector thing. I'm so new that I haven't even purchased one yet! For the prices I have so far seen I'm really between choosing the Bounty Hunter tracker iv or the garrett ac4e 250. I'm hoping someone can help me make my decision. I live in upstate new york in a home that is 240 years old. There is an old root cellar, outhouse, and a huge cellar. There have only been 3 owners before me. Can anyone help based on what I plan on using it for which of the 2 they might recommend. Thanks so much, Stephanie

The Ace 250 is the more popular on this forum anyway. I started out with the Tracker IV and can't say enough good things about it. You can check out my finds from the first year at:

http://www.metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=12926

If you plan on just going over your property and really rooting out all the old stuff, you may want to shoot for something a little higher end if possible with better depth. I'm sure others can recommend lots of options.

Good luck!

Of the 2 you mention I would recomend the Ace 250 , The 250 is way more versitile, it has small and large aftermarket coils availible, also Sunray makes an inline probe for the Ace..........Good luck.

Welcome to the forum sillygirl. I'm sure you'll enjoy either detector. The Ace 250 is probably more user friendly though.

I'm sure all of us "fiends" can agree... we can't wait to see what you find. :yes:

Welcome!
waytogo.gif

Can't wait to see what comes out of your yard!

I think you need a personal metal detecting trainer... namely ME!... j/k sounds like an awesome place to hunt... I always recommend the Ace250 a an excellent starter machine that will do just fine in your location and the type of hunting you'll be doing... Can't wait to see what you find!

Welcome to the forum Stephanie. As a beginner, you'll be digging a lot of signals as you get to know your detector well. This is where investing in a good digging tool will pay the most dividends. As for metal detectors, how you swing it and where you hunt has a higher correlation with finding the good stuff than what model you are using (unless you are hunting areas with adverse ground conditions like heavy mineralization or under water.) In other words, if you have good soil, either model will do.

HH

Sillygirl,

Both of those units have a good reputation as low-end detectors. Your home grounds sound very promising. Hopefully they haven't already been plundered.

Your name, Stephanie, was our choice for a girl's name back when we were expecting our child. Turned out to be a boy so we named him Stephan. :)

I started out with ace 250 and still like it very much. And I hate to confuse you even more but another detector I would like to try is the Fisher F2 priced about the same and it comes with 2 coils

Cliff

Welcome SillyGirl, the Ace 250 is a really nice machine and have enjoyed the heck out of mine and is very user friendly, but I like the Tesoro Silver Umax better, it has better discrimination,deeper and has .a bullet proof lifetime warranty and only 35.00 more than the Ace. The only thing is that is don't have is a visual ID like the Ace which many people likes, but if you decide on the Ace 250 you will have a really nice machine backed by a great company.

Welcome Stephanie.... where in Upstate NY?... I am currently vacationing in the Catskills... grew up here.. LOTS of history like your area... should be great MD'ing.... RickO

Welcome to our family Stephanie. Nothing better than starting off in a great hunting location. Sounds like you should have great hunting conditions. Good luck!! and keep us posted.:yes:

welcome

Welcome to the forum Stephanie. I have an Ace150, and I concour with the others. The Ace150 and Ace250 seem to be good for shallow treasure hunting, although I have detected and recovered a wheat penny, about two feet down. But I have also recovered alot of pull tabs and pop cans in the one foot range as well. And I mean.. ALOT! :D
My advice might be, decide how much you want to spend, and find a detector that suit's your needs for now. You'll probably want to upgrade in the future. I know I do.
Dusty Eagle (contemplating/dreaming of a White's PrizmIV)

you sillygirl!,

i have the fisher f2 which i would characterize as a excellent lite coin shooter.

i do not own the ace 250 and have never used it but i think it might be slightly more versitile then the f2.

i think the f2 is the lightest thing around. weight makes a difference when you swing these things for a couple of hours.

i must say that my f2 is a joy to use. it's not quite a new pair of feragamo
loafers but as close as a metal detector will get.

what ever you do get a pinpoint probe. i was greatly frustraighted with out one when i started. it is much harder to find stuff when you dig the hole then you think it will be.

don't forget to check the cellar of your house. allot of people put caches in their cellar. also check the garden areas. many a housewife of yore stashed her secret rainyday fund in the garden for herself. check fence posts and along old stone walls. look for trees with nails in them. sometimes caches were marked with nails in trees. also check between old trees sometimes theses were markers for caches and check inside old trees themselves. sometimes people put money into the hollows of old trees and they have grown over.

check under laundry lines. sometimes money fell out of pockets of clothing that was hung out to dry.

check around the mailbox too. people used to leave money in the mailbox for stuff that was postage due.

i love my f2 but i recommend the ace 250 as a first detector.

zander

Back
Top Bottom