Weird Artillery Shell

bearbqd

Elite Member
So I found what I'm reasonably certain is part of a Hotchkiss artillery shell with lead sabot still intact. It was found 14 inches down at a battle site. What's odd about this piece is that the bottom of the sabot seems to have remnants of neon orange paint. First of all was neon paint even invented yet during the civil war? And second, why would it have paint anyway if this part was attached to the bottom part of the shell? It even has fire grooves so that helps identify it further. Ok shell experts, whats the deal?

Attachments

• sabot.jpg
    sabot.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 376
  • sabot..jpg
    sabot..jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 414
  • sabot...jpg
    sabot...jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 390
  • sabot....jpg
    sabot....jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 334
  • sabot.....jpg
    sabot.....jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 368
  • sabot......jpg
    sabot......jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 359
  • sabot.......jpg
    sabot.......jpg
    21 KB · Views: 387
I think Cannonball guy from the Treasure net forum cleared it up nicely. Here' what he says:

You've found the exploded base of a civil war Dyer 3"-caliber Common-Shell. By the way, the term "Common-Shell" does not mean plentiful, it means a "plain" or "ordinary" shell, which contained only an explosive charge ...it did not contain any antipersonnel slugs (which were called Case-Shot).

The orange color on your Dyer's sabot is original Ordnance Department color-code paint. The color-code enabled an artilleryman to very quickly identify each type of ammunition in the cannon's ammo-chest. Orange signified Common-Shell. Red meant Case-Shot. Black meant Solid-Shot.

The color-code paint rarely survives on projectiles which have been in the ground for about 150 years ...so your Dyer shell-base still showing some color-code paint is a very scarce find. Congratulations! Smiley

The sabot on your shell was made of a solder-like alloy, not lead. (That is why it doesn't have the smooth white patina typically seen on Minnie-balls, which were almost always made of pure lead.)

The presence of very deep "cast " (not cut or chiseled into the sabot by hand) flame grooves on your sabot means your shell is the second version of 3" Dyer, which made its first appearance in combat during Spring 1862.

Makes sense...Cool!

Back
Top Bottom