Any MD'ers who are hams here?

joecatch

Any metal detector people here also radio hams? I got an extra class about 3 years ago but never really got on the air much because of the low sun spots and lack of a good antenna. I now have a nice vertical that needs some minor repairs and then I can put it up and the sun spots are picking up. It seems like it would be neat to talk to other MD'ers over the air. I hear some hams shooting the breeze about garbage stuff and are very boring. I would like to pratice using my license talking to other hams out there about our super hobby. If you want, send me a PM.

JC

de k4vw

Been a Ham radio operator for 49 years. Join our little net on 7.198, weekdays at 6:30 CST. Ole Goats Net.

73's Jim, k4vw, DFX-300, V3i

Any hammers here have one of these antennas? :D

maco_logo.gif

Been a ham for about 20 years. kf4isi technician class, just couldn't get the code to stick in my head. Hadn't talked on one in a while though.

Kc4uri

Been a Ham radio operator for 49 years. Join our little net on 7.198, weekdays at 6:30 CST. Ole Goats Net.

73's Jim, k4vw, DFX-300, V3i

Sounds like I need to put the dipole back up. the worse the wx the better the ant. Been a ham for 22 years now. Kept my novice call, extra for 21 years. Code for me was the easy part. I could not copy at 5wpm or 13 wpm. 21 words per minute, solid copy! 45 wpm soild copy, I came in byway of commerial ship to shore.:laughing: I will look for the ole goat net.

Metal detecting attracts a lot of hams.

After all, it's just another way to do radio. Except you're going for horizontal depth rather than vertical distance.

And in metal detecting, eight inches is a good DX catch!

---Dan Hughes, N9XDK

I was on Citizens Band for years and got my ticket in 2000, upgraded to General. I have a few nice radios and stuff. For Field Day our club usually does well. We are out of the Queen Mary, W6RO. I am sure many of you have heard us out there. I better hook up the "Old Henry" Amplifier when the sun spots come back. Shoot in the 90's the spots were so good ya only needed one watt. Just think how the Henry would do on a good day. 73's!! HH

Oh how 11 meter used to be so fun...LOL......I like HF and some VHF and UHF Freqs......But I think HF is the best. It is just cool to skip around and hit some nice radio operators.

The Oct snow storm took down my vertical. I have a dipole too but it doesn't work as good. Last night I went to Lowes and bought a 4' mast (you know it is really hard to find stores that sell them anymore). Next few days will try to put it back up. But it is very hard for me to raise the antenna alone on my roof and line it up with the mast. The antenna is so high there is a large moment of force. Maybe I can find someone to help me with it.

Once up we'll have to see if we can get a metal net up ;)

JC

N1KWW
October storm ruined antenna farm, will rebuild in spring.

Back in the 70's when I was a CB'er a ham friend gave me a 3 element 10 m beam that I converted to 11 m. On top of my high roof on my parents house I got out really good with it. Was even on SSB with my Tram. Boy, I wish I had that beam now!

JC

Oh how 11 meter used to be so fun...LOL......I like HF and some VHF and UHF Freqs......But I think HF is the best. It is just cool to skip around and hit some nice radio operators.

Back
Top Bottom