Another First!!! (Class ring!!)

jwebs

Elite Member
I went out on my lunch break today to an empty house plot close to the base that i work on, and I dug this ring ... Before I dug it, I thought I was digging another penny, as it was ringing up with the VDI of 58-61, repeatable. I was in utter shock when I tapped my plug to reveal a slightly tarnished 1968 7.7 gram 10kt gold class ring! It's absolutely beautiful, and again, I'm still in awe...i've been rubbing it in my pocket all day since I cleaned it off.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I was wondering whether or not I would try to track down the owner...this find has significant value to me now too. I got back to work, and I was chatting with my supervisor, and I think my initial feeling that I had was solidifed after talking with her, and hearing about how her husband's wedding ring was returned after 13 years of being lost.

I called the school, and they directed me to the board of education for that area, and the Assistant Superintendant is in the process of trying to track down the person to see if they are still around/alive, and if they have any interest in the ring being returned. It was a great feeling hearing the enthusiasm of the Superintendant, and his appreciation...he mentioned that he graduated the same year, from a HS right down the road from the one of the original owner of my ring, and that he would be beyond himself if someone else would do the same for him. I'll keep updates posted. He said that he would call me back regardless of whether or not he finds the person.

Would love to hit one of these!:yes:
Congrats on a great looking ring and kudos for your efforts in trying to find its owner.:clapping:

I would return lost pennies if I could... basically there is no better feeling than returning something to someone who has lost their beloved item... guess I get to keep the pennies since no one loves them though haha! :lol: You're doing the right thing by trying to find the original owner! :urock: Good Luck!

The feeling you get when you return a ring to an appreciative owner far outweighs the value of the ring itself. Unfortunately, as we all have read on here some people are unappreciative. I hope that if you do find the owner they are of the former rather than the latter!

Karma points +10 for you!!:urock:

Nice ring. I wonder how long that's been in the ground? It'll be interesting to hear the story if you do find the owner.

I'd imagine the owner being much older will appreciate you returning the ring. People in my generation are generally fools and take everything for granted. You'll be dealing with a baby boomer. I think he'll be extremely grateful and who knows..you may get some prime detecting spots and leads. Maybe a handsome reward too. Keep us updated on the return and don't forget to take a pic of the owner with his ring.

Good for you for trying to return the ring. Whenever I see posts like these I am reminded to dig those supposed "zincolns"! I must confess that I don't always dig them.

Jweb congrats on the ring.I think that is pretty cool that your tracking the owner
down.Looking at the date on that ring he may have went off to Nam after graduation. Hope ya find the owner.. Happy Hunting to you.

The ring is from a place up near you, Bonesquat: Pisgah High School ... It's in the extreme NE corner of the state. I get the feeling that what you say is right though, if I'm able to track the owner down. Even the older gentleman(the superintendant) that is helping find out who the owner is was extremely impressed that there are people out there that would do this, and i could hear the appreciation in his voice when he talked about how happy it would be if it were him(as, like i mentioned, he said he graduated the same year from right down the road).

I will definitely keep the post updated, and thanks for the congrats, and the moral support :D

Jweb congrats on the ring.I think that is pretty cool that your tracking the owner
down.Looking at the date on that ring he may have went off to Nam after graduation. Hope ya find the owner.. Happy Hunting to you.

It's possible. I found it about 400 yards from the perimeter of the base the I work at...I hope he's still around too. thanks, and HH

Congratulations on another "first". The ring is a beauty. You will never forget the excitement of finding it. You will also ALWAYS remember exactly where you found it. Good luck with finding the owner. If you don"t find him, you deserve the ring. At least doing the right thing means more than the money. It shows your character.:yes:

Back
Top Bottom