No Way! Couldn't believe it.

PhotoRob06

Forum Supporter
My 4" sniper coil came today for the F2, and back from my parents' I decided to hunt the yard where I rent, since there's so much iron.

Well, I poked around a bit in the back, then around the side of the house beside the driveway near the road. There's a very small garden strip where I used the 4" coil and got a very steady zinc signal next to a small bush. Pinpointing indicated a depth of "00" right on the surface.

So just a nasty Zincoln I thought, and bent down to see if I even needed the pinpointer, which I didn't because it was just sitting on the surface. So I picked it up and it felt a bit rough like a zincoln, but looked for a date to be sure it was zinc and not copper.

This is what I saw :shock:: see pics.

Now, this isn't just some abandoned cellar hole in the woods - we're talking about a high traffic driveway in Salem. The house was built in 1876 I believe, or around there. Somehow this penny never sunk and just sat there for over 100 years in the same spot as people went in and out of the driveway day after day after day.

What I would give to see a time-lapse video of this penny sitting there on the surface for over 100 years in such a busy area. Blows my mind!

Attachments

• IMG_0291.jpg
    IMG_0291.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 628
  • IMG_0292.jpg
    IMG_0292.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 625
  • IMG_0289.jpg
    IMG_0289.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 623
Wow how did people not notice it after almost 140 years???? you'd think someone's eyes would have passed over it in the daylight, or when gardening or SOMETHING. Great find. I've only ever found one IH penny, a 1906 - had to pound through 5 inches of river rock and compacted gravel to find it though.

What a great find and very strange story... but then again, stranger things have happened in Salem! I was there for the tercentenary commemoration of the trials--what a great little town. There is plenty of history there to dig. Keep us posted.:goodluck:

Wow how did people not notice it after almost 140 years???? you'd think someone's eyes would have passed over it in the daylight, or when gardening or SOMETHING. Great find. I've only ever found one IH penny, a 1906 - had to pound through 5 inches of river rock and compacted gravel to find it though.

Yeah, that's what makes no sense to me that it didn't get moved or buried somehow... unless it got pushed up while gardening. It does seem to be the one part of the garden that has no plants, like maybe it wasn't tilled or disturbed... somehow.

I guess it could have been buried at one point and dug up while gardening. My theory is that it was just sitting there though. The other one I dug was 5 or 6 inches.

Just goes to prove the theory that things can sink and be brought back to the surface, but you never know, it might have been there all along, not likely, but maybe.
Did you find any other coins in the area?

Sorry... another thought... has there been any recent construction on the side of the house? new siding, new roof, window replacement?? Just a thought.

Just goes to prove the theory that things can sink and be brought back to the surface, but you never know, it might have been there all along, not likely, but maybe.
Did you find any other coins in the area?

Not in that spot, but 10 feet further down the garden strip I found a 31 wheat. It was directly under a dead plant, about 4 inches deep.

No construction that I'm aware of.

Last edited:
That's amazing!!. Dude, that 4" coil is awesome in trashy areas. I love my almost better than the 8". I found alot of great finds with it. HH

Congrats on the IH! You just never know, pays to go back over those areas again and again no matter how small.

Back
Top Bottom