Digger27's' Compadre log...More insights added below!

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Hey everyone!
My experience with a new detector, tips and opinions on this beautiful working unit for those of you thinking about getting one.
Sit down, grab a drink, it's long but hopefully not too boring. :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So last week, the first time out with the used but new-to-me 7 inch coil Compadre from Skiwhiz went well.
Even though I didn't have more than an hour, I did hit some grassy areas and a tot lot at the park right next door.
Found a few coins, a few pennies, a quarter and a nickel on the surface under the chips, and that lone disc knob seemed to be right on.
Coins disced out where they should, the quarter woud not disc out at all, nor would copper pennies or dimes.
A few tabs I came across disced out right on the tab mark.
On my Vaquero, it is very similar except on this one I could sense there was a little more precision, like a fine tuner.
The stay-tabs made a tone right up to the mark and just past it was gone,
On the Vaq, there might have been a lttle spill over, a tiny bit of breaking then the silence, but not on this.
Solid beep...then gone.

I like it....check that...Love it!.

I also found one lone bead from the kind of chain that comes on nail clippers, you know the really tiny ones.
My detectors at home with larger coils and different electronics could not pick this bead up, the Compadre did in the field and at my house.
A solid, repeatable, dig it for sure tone.
I was blown away, to say the least.

Throwing some coins down on the carpet at home I discovered the recovery speed was as good as most any other detector I have ever held, and I pick my detectors because of this.
I am a fast swinger, you see, and I can slow down if I think about it but my natural swing speed can still be pretty fast so why not just use and own detectors that are forgiving in this respect?
Line up several coins close to each other and I know the detector is for me if I hear that machine gun tone...beep, beep, beep beep, beep.
This one was great at this, and so was the target separation.
Placing 2 coins next to each other, a quarter and a zinc penny, I swear I could get them no more than 1 1/2 inches apart and still hear two distinct tones as I passed the coil over them.
This is the other thing I require in my detectors and my Vaq and F2 can do it too.
Now I have a third, so the arsenal is coming along nicely.

This hunt last Sunday was going to be about experimintation and getting to know my latest and greatest.
I just love playing with new detectors for the first time, don't you?

I went to an area where I have been many times before, but within a mile there are several different kinds of areas to hunt.
Many grassy island areas in a high school student parking lot, a park on the other side of a school with picnic areas and a tot lot, some grassy areas and a couple of large soccer fields, one one which holds a free concert every summer with thousands of people walking and sittng around all over it.

About a mile from here and on my direct route to home was another school with a tot lot, play filed and a large sports complex that is used by the high school.

I started at the grassy islands in the high school parking lot because I have found so much here in the past.
I hit these islands several times and got a bunch, then a few months ago I changed the way I hunted to a very tight pattern and made an effort to slow down, and these islands that I had thought were cleaned out became alive with good targets again.
Much more clad and other cool stuff and even a gold ring came out of here since I changed, but I have done most of these this way all summer and it was slowing down a bit.
Still more here, however so this will be a good test.

A soaking rain the night before was a welcome sight, and I was looking forward to digging actual plugs again instead of a crumbly mass of dirt, and it is still blazing hot around here as the day wears on so I got to the site at 5:30 am to get a good start in a little bit cooler temps.

Put on my gear, popped on my caplight since it was still dark and began the hunt.

She was working well as I aquired and dug my first targets.
A stay tab was first up, it disced out right at the tab mark and the tesoro shake over the target that made the signal break up a bit as I whipped that coil told me this was probably a tab.
Had to dig it anyway, and I was planning on digging every solid target all day because this is how I learn my detectors.
Solid signal, disc it out, make a guess, dig it and see if I am right.
I stuck my lesche into the grass and ..heaven!
The blade penetrated down to about 5 inches and I made similar cuts on 2 other sides and popped the plug.
I didn't think it was that deep, but I wanted to see how moist the ground was underneath and how far down the rain had seeped.
It was wet to about 4 inches and then some very dry sand type dirt on the last inch.
Got the propointer out and found a tab about 1 inch down in the middle of the plug so my guess was right on.
Replaced the plug and moved on.
For the next couple of hours I located and dug target after target...lots more clad, some more tabs, foil, a couple of pop tops.

I was not doing the slow and tight search pattern that found so much more in these islands after I thought they were done, because this was not a day for that type of hunting.
Today I was swinging just to find solid signals of any type and see what kind of information I could get out of these signals, whether they were good targets or suspected trash.
I was also hovering around iron and all metal throughout the day, usually I would place this thing below foil and dig everything else from there on up.
This one is more sensitive to gold than my others and if there was a tiny gold stud or fine chain in my travels I would find it at these lower settings.
Also, as most of you know, all metal will give you the most depth and you lose some as you move that disc knob higher.
In my difficult soil even my Vaq that will go very deep in milder soil or in tot lots, can't really get too much deeper than about 7 inches at most of my sites around here, but I wanted to get as much as I could out of the new one and see how far she really could go.
Air testing I was getting 6-7 inches on coins and rings and Skiwhiz said he checked it before sending it to me and the sense was set almost at max, which I take that statement to mean higher than factory settings.
Even so, I like the fact that I still have a little more left to go, and I had no issues with falsing at all thoughout the day.
I was very happy about this.
I hunt on max sense always and I have learned to recognize and ignore most false signals from real ones so they never bother me.
I usually get more of them on a usual hunt, but not today.
I don't remember getting even one except around the big metal in the tot lots.

I did try sizing the targets with some quick passes from a few different angles on several signals throughout the day.
Sllingshot said this thing is great at this and of course he was right.
Maybe it was this smaller coil, but I could almost see the size in my mind when it was a coin size object, and the slightly larger size of a piece of can when I ran over it.
I could almost swear that I could even tell that a tiny piece of foil was smaller than a coin in my head, which it was, but I am sure that cannot be possible.
I am not that good at this...maybe Tabdog might be but I don't think I am.
Maybe it was a dream, but all I know is everything I tried had an air of surgical precision to it.
Pinpointing, sizing, the disc knob...all of it.
My Vaq is great at this stuff too, this one is just a little better, a little tighter.
Seems like that, anyway.
Also want to add that like my Vaq, if you turn the discrimination knob up and dial down till the signal comes in, this is more accurate than doing it the way the directions say and turn the knob up till the signal fades out.

I dug a good amount of clad, even though I wasn't exactly coinshooting, and the only coins that were a little strange were a couple of nickels.
They were actually weird all day no matter where I was hunting.
Some disced out right at the 5 cent mark, but some were higher and some were lower.
One I do remember was sideways in the ground, but I still got a good signal on all of them and I have dug gold around this mark so I am digging all these signals...always.

The sun was starting to blaze, it was heating up so time to move to another place.
Next stop was a little park and tot lot on the other side of the high school.
Not so much interested in the picnic table area, even though it was covered with trees and cooler, but I have not been to the tot lot in awhile so that's where I was headed.
There was a covered pavillion near the bathrooms in this park, and I have found clad around this thing before and it was nice grassy soil and easy digging so I decided to walk around this thing once.
I have hit this area too, with all my detectors a few times, but I still managed to find some more clad.
It seems no matter how clean you think the site is, this thing will still manage to find a little more.
A few beavertails and parts of beavertails showed up here and I noticed that different parts disced out at different areas on the disc, and rarely at the tab mark, but I know from experience this is normal.
A quarter, pennies, a dime or two, I have searched this area several times with my other detectors and it is not huge but I stlll managed to find a little more clad.
Then I headed down to the tot lot.
This is one of those kinds that have a plastic interlocking boarder surrounding the area, about one foot tall sticking out of the ground and old grey wood chips about 1/4 way up...usually.
As I got closer, I noticed that something looked different.
All the chips were a nice, red cedar colored and now they were all the way up to the top of the boarder...spilling over in some spots.
Not a piece of trash laying ontop in sight.
They must have just filled this within the last day or two.
How nice that this city has it together enough even in these tough economic times to be able to afford to lay down a huge new blanket of chips here and fill it up another 8 inches to make a nice soft blanket for the kiddies.

Annnd...I'm screwed!

For the Vaq, this would be no problem.
I have picked up studs off of jeans one foot down in chips with no mineralization using it, but this one has a limit of about 6-7 inches on the solid tones so I don't think this is gonna work out so well for me, today.

I stepped in and started to swing and as I feared, well, what is that old Simon and Garfunkle song..."The sounds of silence."
No signals at all...none.
Like I said, they must have just filled this recently and it has not had a chance to fill up with much of anything, yet, and any target in the origional chips below is out of range.
I did find 2 signals here, however.
One was a scratchy, not so solid one but it did repeat and I dug down a measured 8 inches through the new chips and found a quarter laying just below the surface of the old ones.
Good to Know
Deep targets at the limit of my field might not be super solid but they do repeat.
Found a zinc penny the same way.
Not sure if it will work the same way in soil, but I will dig some real iffy signals in future hunts and see.
Sure hope it works the same.

I decided to move to a soccer field that has thousands of people milling around every summer because of a free concert put on every year with "A" list country talent as headliners.
I have been here before and I always thought there should be a bunch more stuff to find than I usually do, but the area is huge and I never gridded it so I usually just wander around when I am here hoping to get lucky.
Ryanchappel did find his first ring here when I took him to all these same sites on our first hunt together.

I know where the stage is set up and where all the food and drink venders set up too, so I concentrated on those areas and did find some more clad and some trash.
I hit a very nice loud signal and dug up 2 quarters laying together.
I can tell quarters sound different on this one, fully round and long.
Still did the sizing thing and I was getting pretty good with that by now, and xing is laserlike just like all the Tesoros, so it was very easy to zero in on the targets all day.
My Propointer brings me to the exact spot I need to dig so I never really have to make huge holes or dig big plugs.
In my first short hunt I noticed I had to supertune the Propointer more than usual to find a lot of my targets thoughout the day, which tells me the Compadre seems to be internally ground balanced pretty good to match my difficult soil.
Even with manual GB on the Vaq, most targets I seem to dig are about 2-3 inches or so, sometimes more.
With the compadre, I was digging several that were beyond the range of my PP unless supertuned and they were at least 4 inches or more.
I can't believe I can get more depth with this one than the Vaq, bit it seems that way.
I think I will send the Vaq in to Tesoro and let Rusty have at it just to ease my mind.

I wandered around this area for awhile, started to get bored and moved to my next spot.

This was a middle school with a large playground, tot lot, and a sports complex on the same site.
This is one of my go-to places and it is huge,.
That playground is where I found my first rings, just junk, lots of clad and even a dime from the Bahama's...and how that got here is a mystery.

This site also has a little fair with carny rides set up every summer, and I have started to grid this place on one end and do my slow and tight thing, but today I was just wandering.
I found some more clad, and several nickels.
Nickels are one of the things this thing seems to like, they go out at least an inch more than quarteres in air testing, and decent size gold rings get out to about here too...or close.
That I like to see.
I know this thing is a great coinshooter and all around unit, but the real reason I got it was that small and fine jewelry...especially gold.

Nice size gold comes in at about nickel, so this is nice to see.

I hit an area in the sports park that is a practice/training area for the high school baseball team.
It is behind fences but they are usually never locked.
I don't really go in here much because I don't want to take the chance of leaving any holes that the kids could catch with their cleats, but last year one of the coaches stopped me and said he lost his gold wedding ring somewhere in the area.
I asked him where and he really didn't know and he was wandering all over this place and in other areas around it when he lost it so it is pretty big.

I took his # and put it in my phone and said I will call him if I ever find it.
Every time I come to this spot I hit these specific areas for at least a half hour hoping to get lucky and find his ring for him.
Nothing so far, but maybe one day.
Did that again today, still no luck so I moved on to another tot lot near to the school.
This has pebbles in one part, chips in the other and old chips.
I have cleaned this place up too but it is pretty easy to find fresh drops so I still come back from time to time.

I found a few more coins and I noticed that I still was not getting close to the big metal legs of the equipment at all.
Watching videos from other users, they seem to get much closer before the machine signals, but my sense is turned up a lot on mine and that is fine with me.
I did try something, though.
I threw a penny down on the chips about 3 inches out from one of the large metal legs on the swings.
As I moved around the legs this unit will sound off as you move it.
Super slow it does not do this as much but I just can't go that slow so the heck with that.
I noticed as I moved around the leg I was getting constant tones but as I moved over the penny I did get a distinct double beep.
You will get this same type of signal if you move over a shallow or surface target, or if you scan two targets close to each other.

This was great information to know, even though I can search around big metal with the Propointer if needed, this double beep thing can alert me to targets in the area of this big metal stuff without having to get down on my knees so much.
Wandered around the chips for awhile, found a little more clad including another nice double quarter signal which perked up my ears...these quarter signals are something I have gotten to really know well in my head.
Kind of like when you hear the ring of a silver coin dropped on a hard surface.
It's almost instinctual at this point.
On all my detectors I can usually be sure 99.99% of the time when I roll over a quarter.
It looks like I can do that on this one too.
The heat was getting to me at this point, so I sat down for a minute on a bench under a shady tree to rehydrate.

I was getting very tired, the heat was intense, I had a pocket full of clad even though I wasn't really looking for it, and I learned a bunch throughout this hunt.
I decided to hit the playfield a little that starts just outside this tot lot and then walk back to the truck and get back home to the AC.
I remember saying to myself I wish I could find some kind of jewelry to finish off this hunt, and a minute later I dug the junk ring that came in at about the nickel mark.

Allright!
Then I said to myself I wish I could find that treasure chest full of gold coins, but no such luck on that one.
I guess I get one wish per hunt so I will be more specific in my wishing, next time.

I ran over that large carabiner thing in the tall grass on the way back, probably left over from the Carny's and their rides, a few more coins too, then all my energy was gone and I was done for the day.
Pics of the clad and trash from this hunt below.

This was fun.
I learned a ton, got some great practice in, and due to my experience with my Vaq, it all felt like second nature.

I can see that a total newbie might not not have such an easy time as I did at first, without my experience, but I also know that this one can be pretty easy to learn if you just put in a little time and dig a bunch of signals.

That's the best way to learn, you know.
Analyze all signals, then dig, dig, and then dig some more.

Luckily, that process is also a lot of fun with this mighty impressive Compadre.

HH everyone!

P.S.

I hope this thread might be the start of something like my innocent F2 review thread I posted last year.
I am thrilled to report that that thing has now grown to about 9000 views, about 50 added to this number every day, and plenty of people have told me they picked the mighty F2 as their first because of the information contained in it and are very happy that they did.
Several have surpassed me in their quality and quantity of great finds which thrills me to no end.

Since the Compadre is also one of the most recommended units for newbies, I hope that anyone that has any tips, tricks, revelations or insights will feel free to post to this thread so it can be used as an honest resource to anyone new to this, or even the veterans thinking about getting one as a specialty unit.
I will do this myself as I discover even more wonderful things as I learn them.
I think it is special, and I am very glad I have one in the arsenal.

HH

Attachments

• compadre 1st hunt clad.jpg
    compadre 1st hunt clad.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,173
  • compadre tras.jpg
    compadre tras.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,162
I recently got a Compadre since I missed having a Tesoro when I sold my silver umax. I am pleased at how firm the knob is on it. There is no bumping that sucker by accident! My coil cover was loose, so I just put some caulk/adhesive on it and it works well. I like how close it gets to the bars. I'm glad you're enjoying yours! Nobody seems to say a bad thing about these little workhorses.

Trash talk!

I went on a trash hunt last Sunday with my new Compadre.

The disc is so good, so razor sharp, that I was hoping there was a way to figure out trash signals better than I could on my other detectors.
My Vaq is good, this one seems a little better.

So I went looking for trash.

Headed to a very trashy park where there hasn't been a garbage can in many of the older areas for about 90 years.
That's the way it seems to me, anyway.

When I have to clean out 15 pop tops, beaver tails, can slaw, foil and other trash shallow and down to 3-4 inches deep in sometimes a one foot square area just to clean out a space to ground balance my Vaquero, that's pretty trashy.

The object of this hunt was to see if I could figure out if I was swinging over trash or treasure by using this beautiful machine, and use every trick I have learned in my short time in this great hobby.

Throughout the hunt, I dug up a lot of trash...and I did learn some things.

Just like on my Vaquero and even on my F2, I learned that coins have a distinct sound.
Rounded and fully formed.
Hard to explain, but they ring out loud and the tone seems to continue on a little further, further than a pull tab or other trash.

If I was new with this I could not tell the difference, but thousands of signals I have listened to with my Vaquero have given me a few new skills I did not have when I started.
When we tell you newbies you have to put in the hours to learn the language, this is one of the things we mean.
I am by no means fluent in the Tesoro language, it's gonna take much more time and hundreds more hours for me to even begin to think I am, but I can tell the difference in many types of tones that I could not in the past.

So I know that coins hit hard and in this hunt I could usually tell instinctly I had a good coin signal at first swing or two.
Sometimes, I did have a pretty good signal from other trash targets and the object of this exercise is to see if I could figure out the trash, so I tried a few other things on most of the signals I dug in this hunt.

First, I hit all signals from different angles...at least two.
On coin targets I got a solid repeating tone, always.
On some trash signals like a folded over beaver tail pull tabs, too.
And larger solid trash pieces, also.
Some signals did not repeat from a different angle, or broke up bad and some even went away, totally.
Every target that did not hit from all angles was trash...today.
Just to let you newbies know, this is not always the case.
Sometimes good targets act like this too.
Most times not, but once in a while they do.

Obvious lesson one...trash targets mostly don't repeat from all angles.

Second thing I did on all signals was shake the coil, whipping it at different speeds and up to warp 2, or as fast as I could, anyway.
The construction is very solid on Tesoro's, and this is a very light unit so I could whip it pretty fast.

The object here was to see if I could get the signal to break up, or if I got a solid beep every time the coil passsed over the target.
The quick recovery on this one can give you a pretty good idea if you found some kinds of trash because a lot of it did break up when I did this.
Small pieces of foil and can slaw did it most times, pieces of beaver tails broke most of the time, a large amount of pop tops did too.
Flattened older pop tops usually did not, folded over beaver tails usually didn't either.
They look and act exactly like coins to most detectors if we are just going by sound.
Also large pieces stayed solid, like sterno cans and other large trash like big mouth screw on tops.
As a matter of fact, aluminum and zinc screw on tops gave me fits all day.
I hate those things!
Not quite a fully rounded signal as a coin, but close.
Some kinds of this trash did break if I hit it from different angles, though, like older steel caps.
Coins never broke up no matter how hard I whipped or from any angle.

Lesson two...coins stayed solid no matter how fast I whipped, a lot of trash did not.

Keep in mind after analyzing every signal I dug every one to see.
The proof is in the pic below.

Now these first two lessons I already knew, most of us do.
I did find out that these techniques really work on this unit...a little bit better than my others.

The Vaq is close, but the standard coil is bigger than the 7 inch on this one and my 10x12 DD coil, well, that's a whole new ball game using that one, too.
There is something to be said for, and an advantage to, using smaller coils, I am quickly learning.
I assume the 5.75" coil on the newer Compadres might be even better at these things.

This next lesson was the real reason I went on this trash hunt.
The discriminator!

The compadre and my Vaq are from the same company, but they are not built the same.
Different frequencies, which is not a big deal, and discriminator circuits, which might be a bigger deal.

Test number three that I did on all targets...thumb that disc!
Up, down, constantly on every signal and several times, too.

Most of you know, or should, that Tesoros and I assume other detectors that use a disc knob, will be more accurate if you turn the knob past the fade out point of the target and dial back down to see where the signal comes in.
I belive most directions and manuals say dial up till you lose the signal, but nothing else.

The compadre manual is pretty simple and really does not mention any of this at all.
Somebody ought to rewrite that thing and give people a little more info, I think.

Well the good news here is that I think I discovered a few things while getting a sore thumb turning that disc all day.
Coins do not seem to break up very much at all when you bring that dial down and they come in.
I am talking about copper, zinc and nickels of course, because dimes and quarters will not disc out.
Every coin I found the unit was silent till I got to the, I guess we'll call it, "entry point".
Silent, silent, silent then bam...a solid signal!
There might have been a little breaking on a few but I don't remember any, and if there was it was so short that I really didn't take notice.
Trash was a different story.
A ton of my trash broke up going up and coming down.
Not all of it, most of those stupid screw caps did not, and some other coin looking trash like those folded beaver tails, again, but most of the other stuff did.
I am thrilled about this.
I have been a dig it all hunter since I started and I am always going to dig a lot because in this business you just never know, but I also dig most everything because I always get that, "what if", nagging feeling when I leave a target in the ground.
By using all these techniques I am hoping I can read these signals and get enough info to confidently walk away from some that in my heart of hearts I KNOW is trash.

I went out on another hunt today at the same site, and practiced all of this again and dug lots more trash.
I listened closely to the tones, whipped the coil, played with the disc knob and listened not only for the break but what kind of break and how it broke, and I am glad to report that all the signals that I thought were trash today were trash, and the few coins I came across I recognized as a good target before I dug it.
There were several signals that I wasn't 100% sure of, even by doing all of this, but I did have a good suspicion and I was proven right most of the time.

I am not an expert, far from it, but I think I have a good start on getting a handle on using this fine detector and maybe I can concentrate less on digging every blasted signal I come across and spend a little more time learning ways of recognizing the difference between good and bad, even the iffy ones.
I want to get good at this...Tabdog good, and dig more good targets and less bad ones.
I have a long way to go, but I believe I am on the right road.

I learn by doing, and the best way to learn about trash is to dig trash.
A picture is worth a thousand words, and if you look at the pic, for me, learning is worth digging a ton of trash.
I learned a bunch...it was worth it!

HH

Attachments

• copadre trash.jpg
    copadre trash.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 1,139
When's your new book coming out? I'm ready to get one:lol::lol:
I've firmly decided the Compadre is a specialty detector and just can't get the the nerve to go above iron nails. I have to use another detector in trash hell but am getting more and more to where I'd just as soon to use just the Compadre. Can't wait until it's cooler. I just use "magic eye" pinpointing-where I freeze my eyes on the spot where the Compadre beeps-and can usually hit the target on the second sweep.;)

When's your new book coming out? I'm ready to get one:lol::lol:
I've firmly decided the Compadre is a specialty detector and just can't get the the nerve to go above iron nails. I have to use another detector in trash hell but am getting more and more to where I'd just as soon to use just the Compadre. Can't wait until it's cooler. I just use "magic eye" pinpointing-where I freeze my eyes on the spot where the Compadre beeps-and can usually hit the target on the second sweep.;)

Yea, I will write a book, sell millions of copies, and get rich.
It will be a fantasy about a boy with a scar shaped like a Lesche on his forehead, and his adventures with his fantastic Compadre.
I think I will call it, "Larry Potter and the magic detector!"
I don't think I can get in too much trouble, do ya? :D

This is just a start.
I haven't even started on specifics using that disc knob, your paperclip setting and crackle tip, and all that sort of stuff.
I took 25 seconds and read the directions supplied with this, and there is not much information there.
I guess Tesoro thinks a simple one button detector deserves a simple 3 paragraph instruction sheet.
With the things this thing seems to be able to do, I think it deserves so much more.

Feel free to contribute anything you want to this thread.
I was going to copy some of your tips and advice about settings and post them here, crediting you of course, but if you want to post them yourself, go for it.
I would be honored.
You know more about the disc and have more experience than I do, this is still one of the most recommended starter units on the forum, and all the newbies will probably like some info to get a running start...especially if they are just starting out with this as their first detector.
I bet there are probably some vets out there with one of these in their closet that was bought as a child or guest detector that might not know what kind of gem they have sitting there gathering dust.

Like I said, have you read the directions?
Kind of a joke.

I wish Tabdog was still around because I would get him in a headlock and force him to write down everything he knows here.
That guy should write a book about using this, and there are a few others.

My F2 thread is closing in on 9000 views, and several people have contacted me and said it really helped in their decision to pick a first detector, and is very helpful to get over the learning curve quickly when they started using it.

Hopefully, this one could be just as informative with tips and insights by myself as I learn and discover them, and contributions by other informed users like yourself.

The Compadre really is this hobby's little secret, except to people that use them, of course.
We know how good this thing really is.

With it's true 180 ED, adding a bigger coil would still make it a different beast than the Silver.
If Tesoro changed them and this had the ability to easily use bigger coils, who knows how much more popular it could become in this starting price point?

HH

This is a reply I wrote and posted on another thread about the basics on using this one in response to a newbies question.

"I have been having lots of luck finding coins but want to make sure I am using the discrimination correctly. I am trying to avoid digging up every single thing I detect. I have found quarters, dimes, and pennies, but I still am not certain what I am digging for, until I find it. I just want to make sure I am not missing anything "big". Will gold or silver throw a signal like a coin does on the dial or am I missing something? Why is a nickel lower on the discrimination whereas a penny, quarter, and dime are higher?
Thanks"

I wrote this before I ever laid a hand on one.
I hope this will be helpful to some so I will repost it here.
If you read post # 5 above, you can see I used every technique I wrote about in this one.
I just imagined how I would hunt if I took all the knobs off my Vaquero except the disc knob.
Hey, what works, works!

Look at the picture below.
Here is where metals will show up on your dial.
Forget the numbers, just study their locations.

The way you figure out what you are digging before you dig it, which is never 100% by the way, is to "thumb" that disc knob and figure out where the metals in the range you see in the picture go away or "disc out".

*Tip*....It is more accurate to turn the knob way up and then turn it down slowly as you are swinging over the target and stop at the area where you hear a tone come in, than to turn it up until it fades out.

Now you have done this and lets say it was silent till you got to the zinc mark.
Now you have a clue, and this hobby is all about taking all your clues and putting them together to make an educated guess.
From studying the picture, you remember that this zinc area should sound off if you have a zinc penny or other zinc item, an Indian head penny, a screw-cap or gold.
Might be some other things like can slaw, but it could be one of the first four, too.
Maybe you want to switch to all metal, now, and run your coil around the target area and try to size the target.
Where does the tone sound loudest and then fade out?
Hit it from a different angle and try to get a picture in your mind on how big it is...coin size, maybe a little bigger?
In all metal or turning it back below zinc on the disc knob, how loud does it sound when you scan it?
Really loud, maybe medium loud or softer?
This gives you a clue on the depth.
Another depth trick is lift the coil and swing over it.
Do you lose it at 3 inches above the ground, 4-5?
If you know your limit of your detector, and subtract the height of your coil above the target where it goes silent, this can give you approximate depth.

Now you decide to whip your coil over the target real fast and see if the tones stay solid from all angles or breaks up.
If it breaks up it could be trash, if not, still might be a good target.

All of these techniques are aimed to give you clues, and those clues will lead you to an educated guess and that will lead you to digging a hole...or not.

As you put in your time, you also start to hear slight differences in that tone.
A zinc penny might sound very solid and full and the same all the way through, but a screw-cap might not sound so full.
Maybe you noticed after locating and scanning hundreds of these that a screw-cap doesn't stay full, but maybe breaks a little right at the end.
It gets a little fuzzy.
You never could tell the difference at the beginning, but now, after much practice, you can hear that difference, and so you have another good clue as to what you might have sitting in the ground below you.

Solid tone, rings true, no breaking of the signal, small like a coin, really loud tone, can raise the coil pretty high before it fades out...I think this is a zinc penny that is about 1 inch down...then you dig it...and it is.
Or maybe not, like I said, not 100% in this hobby...ever...but you cut your odds down some on digging trash, and you made a good guess.

It's a process.
As you progress, your guesses get better.

The universe must be laughing at us that do this hobby because it made so many bad things ring up in the same areas as so many good things.
Aluminum hangs out where the high tone coins do.
Nickels and gold live in the same neighborhood as pull tabs...as a matter of fact, gold seems to live in almost all the neighborhoods.
Nobody is perfect, we all dig lots of trash, but the better you get the less trash you dig and the more treasure you find.

Study the picture, know your metals and where they line up in relation to your disc knob.

Then practice, practice practice.
Really listen and try to remember that tone you hear before you dig a target, then remember what target you dug after that specific tone.
It takes time for your instincts to kick in and this stuff becomes second nature, but it will eventually happen.
Once you dig enough holes.

That's how I would do it.

HH

vdi scale.jpg

"I am not an expert, far from it"
really?? I have learned more about detecting from reading your posts about the Compadre and F2 than from anywhere else in the last 10 years! Please don't stop testing and posting about these machines. This forum and others are very lucky to have you posting all this info. I actually dream about purchasing a Compadre so I can go out and put your words to the soil myself. You sir are a Compadre "god" Great job!
HH

OK, Digger,
I do remember one more thing I read from Tabdog,(besides the fact that his 30 years as a surveyor helped him hear sounds better than most). I asked him about raising the coil till it reaches the signal's softest or "threshhold" sound and listen for what the signal does. In all honesty, it works just like the whipping technique, but can be analyzed at a slower speed. I've noticed the tiny foil breaks up quicker as you raise the coil while solid targets stay till the "threshhold of sound". It really works good with the Silver umax. Can't wait for your tests. Am I working you hard enough?:woohoo::juggle:

Well thanks Sllingshot, now that's a great tip!
I think I have read most of Tabdog's posts on at least 2 forums but I missed or just don't remember that one.
Going to try that on my next hunt.
Man I hope that guy is ok and comes back to the forums ASAP!

I am going to try to see the difference between the f2 and f5, I'll give a small report when I get out there.

Digger has good solid reports on the machine. Actually, Digger should be contacted by Fisher and include some of his posts in there manual and/or website. Digger, you are giving them free work and they should give you a free MD to test for months at a time and then write a report on it. At least it will be real life hunting not some air test which means nothing.

I am going to try to see the difference between the f2 and f5, I'll give a small report when I get out there.

Digger has good solid reports on the machine. Actually, Digger should be contacted by Fisher and include some of his posts in there manual and/or website. Digger, you are giving them free work and they should give you a free MD to test for months at a time and then write a report on it. At least it will be real life hunting not some air test which means nothing.

Nice purchase on that F5 from Bart.
Take your time and get to know it...it is a whole lot more machine than the F2.

Any company that wants me to test and report on any machine and wants to give me a free detector to do it, I will be happy to accept. :D

I wonder if Cadillac needs reports and consumer testing on their STS models?

"I am not an expert, far from it"
really?? I have learned more about detecting from reading your posts about the Compadre and F2 than from anywhere else in the last 10 years! Please don't stop testing and posting about these machines. This forum and others are very lucky to have you posting all this info. I actually dream about purchasing a Compadre so I can go out and put your words to the soil myself. You sir are a Compadre "god" Great job!
HH

Why thanks!
I do these reviews and tip threads because I remember how hard it was for me at the beginning, with no experience and using a bad machine.
That was not fun and it was very frustrating.
Luckily, I was way to stubborn to quit.
However as I learned more, everything got better and more enjoyable.
Anything I can do to shorten that learning curve for anyone is my honor to pass on.

Couple of thoughts after using my Compadre with 7 inch coil for about 3 hours ....

1. Sensitivity - you better like digging foil and little bits of everything, but you can tell they are little because when Compadre hits them, it is a short little clip or choppy/scratchy noise. Coins have a longer, steady tone.

2. If you notch out the foil, you are going to be close to killing nickels too.. at least with the machine I have, and any rings that might be in that range.

3. With this machine as with all my others, if you check the discrim and it stops beeping after the once cent mark, most likely that is EXACTLY what you have ... a penny... BUT could be a ring too.. so dig-dig-dig (or scoop)

4. I can get no closer to playground equipment than I could with my Ace 250's (except the Ace with the Sniper coil, and that thing could get right next to a pole without falsing).. I think the lack of a external sensitivity control is hurting Compadre in that area, but remember that it is designed to be a low cost entry level machine with good performance.

Next trip out I'm going to drag my son along (he is too "cool" to detect) and make him carry Sovzilla .. going to find lots of targets with Comparde, mark them with golf tees then follow up with SovZilla to compare and listen to the targets - see if Sov sees them all too...

Next trip out I'm going to drag my son along (he is too "cool" to detect) and make him carry Sovzilla .. going to find lots of targets with Comparde, mark them with golf tees then follow up with SovZilla to compare and listen to the targets - see if Sov sees them all too...

Thanks, this should be interesting.

FYI.
My sense is turned way up, I can't get closer to big metal than one foot.
However, if there is a target anywhere near that metal, not only will the unit sound off, so will the target.
Listen for a double beep, there will be a target under one of them.

HH

While we are talking about discrimination, lets talk about where Compadre loses the gold...

On my unit, testing two rings ... both are 14K, one is my Dad's Masonic ring, the other my Mom's gold fashion ring.. its kind of an open/woven type of gold.. can see space through the band, etc.. with a topaz.

Mom's ring disappears and won't register if I move the discrim any higher than the F in Foil.

Dad's Masonic, ring, a small, solid 14K white gold ring, won't register at all unless I'm at or below the I in Iron.

So... you see, I'm back the same LA Trash Dilemma I've been whining about for two years... To find gold, I'm will HAVE to dig a great deal more trash than I am used to digging, or if I tune it out, I will never find gold.

That may be the advantage in a true multi-tone detector (a-la-Sovereign) when it comes to trash - the ability to listen and KNOW it's trash.

Have any of you noticed that trash (like a gum wrapper) produces a different type of tone? Curious about that... On my Sov, gum wrappers warble..same with bottle caps... Wondering if they break up the beep somewhat on Compadre?

Compadre hits HARD on small bits of foil that these tot lots are full of, literally a pop or crackle every swing. Tune out the trash, lose the gold.

I love the pinpointing ease with Compadre. Don't need any big holes with it.

Absolutely a clad killer, even if you did tune the jewelry out.

Going to take it to a woodchip lot on Tuesday and mess with it some more.

Don't get me wrong.. this a a powerful machine, but realize that the high frequency needed to find small gold also puts that gold, and larger (at least on my Compadre) down in the discrim range that includes lots of common trash.

Last edited:
Another question for Compadre owners...

My Lower Rod uses a METAL screw that mates with the knob that connects the coil and tightens it down.

Do YOU have a metal screw down there? That DON'T seem quite right.... :?:

Affirmative on the metal screw.
Weird.

And ya know, you can dig as much trash as you want to.
If you want to go above iron you might miss some stuff, but you will still get a lot.

I dig all foil and up...on my Vaq, I have lowered that down over time to almost iron.
I still don't think it will pick up all the Compadre will.
So dig less trash, maybe get a little less gold...but you will still get some.

Back
Top Bottom