**UPDATE/CONTACT*OMG!!! The biggest baddest 10K gold ring...EVER!!!

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Ok...Dan Hughes was nice enough to post the MP3 of the phone call when I contacted the owner.
Go to page 4 and see UPDATE
Thanks Dan!

Or at least the biggest one I have ever found...and maybe ever will!
Still hard to believe it.

Ryanchappell, (Michael) and I went to another town looking for silver.
Still trying to get away from this iron ore in our immediate area, and hitting some older sites to find some old silver.
We parked at an old abandoned grade school, got out of his vehicle, put on our gear and started to swing in the sandy, grassy area that was in front of the school.
I was using the F2 which I always do at first to get the lay of the land.
Within 10 seconds I got a solid quarter signal and dug a quarter about 2 inches deep.
About 3 swings and 5 seconds later I got a zinc signal, used the Propointer and determined this was also about 1-2 inches down, bent over, put my Lesche in the ground 2 inches expecting to pry up a zincoln and surprise of surprises, this huge honking class ring popped out instead!
Michael was 10 feet away, I called him over to look before I even knocked off all the dirt...he had to do that.
I remember watching him do it from about 10 feet off the ground.
It seemed like that, anyway.

Looking closer, this did not seem like an ordinary class ring.
The size was unusual, it had jewels which I suspect are diamonds, not cz's, and the owners names were on both sides.
I never had a thought of keeping this, and I believed it would be easy to track down the owner because of the name and 3 initials inscribed on the inside, but doing some research that might not be so easy.
The dragon on the side is not the mascot for the local school, and checking Josten's ring site this is not one of their standard rings...it is highly personalized.
[EDIT] Actually it is not...this can be made up this way on the Josten's site under the high school section...St. Ives model.

There is a local college, (UAB), that has a dragon as their mascot so maybe this is a class ring from that school.
No such ring on Josten's site with all these modifications so I am sure this was specially made.
The year on the ring is 2002.
As I wore that ring throughout the day and stared at it, (and kept showing it to Michael :D ), I also noticed that under the clear amethyst stone was a confederate battle flag, so I know a good ole southern boy owned this ring...and he was a big one.

Still some more research to do, and I will try to contact Josten's, but I will get it back to the owner if I can locate him.
After showing it to everyone I know for the next few days, of course!

The weight, don't know, I misplaced my scale so I am not sure but I have an old style wedding band that weighs 12 grams and this is way heavier than that.

Throughout the rest of the day we continued to hunt this place and another small local park.
I found about $2.50 in clad, mostly high tone signals because we were still looking for old silver coins, but never did come across any.

I dug that clipboard charm that was a high tone silver signal, and it does ring out and sound like silver when dropped on a hard surface, but no marks.
I am not sure, but I might have dug gold and silver today, however that is not important.
That ring is the thing, and man am I happy!

All kinds of personal records were broken by me today with this ring find...hope yours was just as good!

HH

Attachments

• P1010780.jpg
    P1010780.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 1,702
  • P1010779.jpg
    P1010779.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 1,597
  • P1010783.jpg
    P1010783.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 1,714
  • P1010784.jpg
    P1010784.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 1,829
  • P1010785.jpg
    P1010785.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 1,471
WOW! Nice ring!

I probably would have to stop and go home after that one.
John

I had $3.01 in clad. I had 26 pennies which is the most I can remember. I see you have 33, and only $2.48. Sorry. I am sure you are real upset.

That ring looks like the quarter could fit inside it! The dragon looks Chinese, not like Blaze.

---Also, the black crud that they color the recessed parts with is still original. It looks like it was dropped yesterday.

It is a BIG ONE as far as finds go!! WAY TO GO!!

It rang up 12-34 and 12-35 in an air test with the E-Trac. No different from a Zincoln cent.

Congrats, she's a BEAUTY! I wish you luck on the "return" attempt! HH and be well......... Jan

Attachments

• thumbs-up.jpg
    thumbs-up.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 1,332
So Ryanchappel did more research and found this style in the high school ring section on Josten's.
The colored Confederate battle flag under the top stone is not an option, anymore...politically incorrect, probably.
$700 for a $300-$400 melt value ring with cz's, add $700 for real diamonds.
What a racket!
Looks like 5 facets on the face of all the stones so these are cz's.

Found a not exact but similar style ring on fleece bay...says it's 21 grams.
This is size 12 or bigger so I assume a little more weight to mine...minus the stones.

The city is small, I should be able to track this kid down.
Today is going to be bragging day to everyone that gets near me.
The search continues for the owner, this kid did graduate from the high school in this city in 2002 and he still lives there, according to classmates.com.

Misplaced my scale but I will find it tomorrow.
Not sure, but I suspect somewhere in the 15-20 gram range...maybe more.
Like I said...it's heavy!
prob about right I found one[10 k HS class ring] in 1990.. it weighed 15.9 grams
NICE find....

Back
Top Bottom