Florida Keys hunting

Briman05

Elite Member
Are you aloud to hunt on the beaches in the keys I am having my honeymoon there in march and was going to take my detector. I was just wondering if you can hunt there.

LOL Briman you are addicted if you taken your MD with you on your Honeymoon. Not a good way to start off your marriage buddy. :lol: :lol:

Are you aloud to hunt on the beaches in the keys I am having my honeymoon there in march and was going to take my detector. I was just wondering if you can hunt there.

Yes you can...but, there could be some beaches that are off limits because of salvage claims or state park restrictions. Don't take anybodies word for it,
including mine. You could get in a lot of trouble for detecting in the wrong place, and even have your metal detector seized(stolen). Check with the proper authorities before you hunt. Make sure you spend more time with your bride than your m-d. Congratulations :D

Search for "Florida Keys", there have been other posts on this.

I found the beaches down there thin and gravelly, sometimes concrete
hard but I did like Smather's Beach in Key West. It's out by the airport.
If you're lucky, you'll get some days like this...

Attachments

• Key west 015.jpg
    Key west 015.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 5,722
What part of the Keys? The keys are quite long and very few good beaches to hunt. What CreepyCrawler said is right on. Some private condos have man made beaches that can be good, if you are staying at one of those.

I've checked this out

Its slim,slim pickings in the Keys.

Alot of it ,like 3/4's are not permissible.

Some local's May let you hit the area; this I do Know Islamarada. hehe:lol:

A HoneyMoon and a Detector? oh man what will your wife think. lol. I could just hear mine right now. YOU LOVE THAT DETECTOR MORE THEN YOU DO ME. YOU NEVER WANT TO SPEND TIME WITH ME ,ITS ALWAYS THAT DETECTING . YADDA,YADDA,YADDA,.

oK maybe I over exaggerated a bit. lol

Congrats to you. tho

Best bet is when you hit the keys. Ask a Monroe County Deputy...A seasoned one. Also check with Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission "The FWC", they should know. State parks are OFF LIMITS (eg. Bahia Honda, John Pennekamp and Long Key). You'll likely find more fishing hooks, bottle tops and pull tabs than anything.

But you never know.

Smather's is the only beach actually ON Key West.

Key west

I had no problems there, I hunted there in late 2009. I was able to detect most beaches, I checked in with rangers at the state beaches, some places you could not hunt in the water.

I just got off the phone with Bahia Honda State Park. The said you can m-d
in the water only, from the mean high tide line down, not in the dry sand.
That is the exact opposite of most other restricted beaches down here...but,
that is where you want to be anyway, in the water. And Bahia Honda SP is a very popular place, I would not pass up the opportunity if I was down there.
Hopefully, you have a waterproof machine.:D

bahia honda state park

I just got off the phone with Bahia Honda State Park. The said you can m-d
in the water only, from the mean high tide line down, not in the dry sand.
That is the exact opposite of most other restricted beaches down here...but,
that is where you want to be anyway, in the water. And Bahia Honda SP is a very popular place, I would not pass up the opportunity if I was down there.
Hopefully, you have a waterproof machine.:D

I hunted there in the water it was loaded with clad!! Got some silver jewelry there. Here are some photo's of the beach where I was.

Attachments

• 9134_1175521742944_1075099308_30512627_7066775_n.jpg
    9134_1175521742944_1075099308_30512627_7066775_n.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 5,543
  • 9134_1175521822946_1075099308_30512628_6022598_n.jpg
    9134_1175521822946_1075099308_30512628_6022598_n.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 5,592
Lol, why don't they just repair that bridge... make it a biking bridge or something.

Lol, why don't they just repair that bridge... make it a biking bridge or something.

It would cost billions to restore that bridge. What you are looking at is the original railroad bridge built by Henry Flagler in 1910. In 1938 they built a highway on top of the railroad bridge. Train on bottom, cars on top. I used to go down to the keys when I was a kid, and that bridge was still in use. Let me tell you, it was harrowing, to say the least. Look how high the road is above the water. Look how low the guardrail is, and especially look how narrow the lanes are. Much narrower than todays lanes, and the average car was a lot bigger than todays autos. No shoulder whatsoever. There was absolutely no room for error. Looking down, out the car window, all you could see was water, if it was daylight, or blackness, if it was night. Now picture Winnebagos,tractor-trailers, and cars pulling big boats on trailers, going in both directions with people trying to pass them. It was terrifying, and a recipe for disaster. Head-ons were usually deadly and would shut down the road for 10 hours or longer, and that was the only road in/out of the keys. Some vehicles even ended up in the water.

Attachments

• bridge.jpg
    bridge.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 5,313
  • bridge2.jpg
    bridge2.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 5,411
  • bridge3.jpg
    bridge3.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 5,282
:oldguy: I used to live in the Keys (1974-1980). I managed the ice plant in Marathon and we delivered ice from Key Largo all the way down to Key West. On two occasions I was driving one of our trucks southbound on the old 7 mile bridge and met a north bound 18 wheeler. We slapped mirrors as we passed each other! Let me tell you that experience called for a change of underwear!!! I was picking glass out of my ear for an hour afterwards!!

Head-on accidents were fairly common on the 7 mile bridge and the road would be closed for hours while the wreckage was investigated and cleared!:mad:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom