First Gold, Before & After

z118

Forum Supporter
In January, on the last weekend I was able to detect before winter finally set in, I somehow found not only my first but also my second gold items in one day. One of the items was a large crucifix that was marked 10k 417 but was not even close to looking like gold. I posted these on the board. The discussion is at:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/index.php?topic=6999.0

Long story short, the crucifix was gold, and I had it cleaned. When I went to pick it up this week, the jeweller told me that she had had such a fun time cleaning it up and that the transformation was so amazing that she was not going to charge me for the cleaning! I protested, but to no avail, so I promised to pay the deed forward.

At any rate, below are the before and after photos. The metal detecting lesson (which was new to me) is that lower carat gold item WILL tarnish.

Check it out, and thanks for looking!

Attachments

• Crucifix After 1.jpg
    Crucifix After 1.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 6,833
  • Crucifix After 2.jpg
    Crucifix After 2.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 6,770
  • Crucifix Before 1.jpg
    Crucifix Before 1.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 6,912
  • Crucifix Before 2.jpg
    Crucifix Before 2.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 6,767
Nice find, looking at the uneven design marks, I would say that it has been hand worked(to some degree) and not a simple casting. Really nice find. Kinda suprised its only 10k for the work that was involved.

WOW and WTG! Thats all i can say.... It puts a tear to my eye..... Not because i didnt find it because its a perfect story... : ) ha :lol: :lol:

Congats on the gold ! It sometimes works that way in this hobby ; go forever with nothing worth mentioning, and then 2 or 3 real keepers in a weekend...HH Roadrunner

Rusty cracks me up.
WTG -Z- Very exciting finds.
Hopefully there are many more in store for you as the weather begins to warm up.

:wow: Nice pics! I laughed out load when I was finally able to tear my eyes away from the cross and realized the ring had Tweety on it! :lol: What a great combination find.
By the way, does anyone know the difference between a cross and a crucifix? :?: Not the beginning of a joke, I really don't know.

B. Positive said:
:wow: Nice pics! I laughed out load when I was finally able to tear my eyes away from the cross and realized the ring had Tweety on it! :lol: What a great combination find.
By the way, does anyone know the difference between a cross and a crucifix? :?: Not the beginning of a joke, I really don't know.
Doesn't a crucifix have a body on it?

Huh! You learn something new every day. I guess my initial post was incorrect, it is a cross, not a crucifix, as it does not portray Jesus on it. I had no idea there was a distinction, even after 12 years of Catholic school!

Thanks for the education, and thanks for all the great comments! The ring is a Tweety bird, and is marked .417. It is tiny - it barely fits on my pinky finger. I didn't take the time to remove it from my before photo... And the penny I only put in the image to give an idea of the size.

Anyway, thanks again!

z118 said:
Huh! You learn something new every day. I guess my initial post was incorrect, it is a cross, not a crucifix, as it does not portray Jesus on it. I had no idea there was a distinction, even after 12 years of Catholic school!

Thanks for the education, and thanks for all the great comments! The ring is a Tweety bird, and is marked .417. It is tiny - it barely fits on my pinky finger. I didn't take the time to remove it from my before photo... And the penny I only put in the image to give an idea of the size.

Anyway, thanks again!

Very nice gold finds. On a side note all of the ventage gold that I have found tarnishes black but I can instantly tell that it's gold. If you dont' mind here's a pic or two, if you mind, I'll take them off.

Attachments

• 10k PSG Hunt Multi View.JPG
    10k PSG Hunt Multi View.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 6,394
  • 10k Blue Stone PSCO Ring Mark.JPG
    10k Blue Stone PSCO Ring Mark.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 6,374
  • Ring Gold Class Finders 1.JPG
    Ring Gold Class Finders 1.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 6,424
  • Ring Gold Class Cleaned and Mark.JPG
    Ring Gold Class Cleaned and Mark.JPG