Sheriff's office mobilized our ERT Team this week

Rudy

Admin
Well, the sheriff's office of an undisclosed nearby county called our Club's Evidence Recovery Team this Monday, asking for help. Seems that they themselves looked for the weapon with their own detectors that weekend, but couldn't find it.

We mobilized 12 hunters from our club and they went with members of the sheriff's department to look for the evidence. Unfortunately, I couldn't go due to this darn headcold I've been fighting now for over 10 days. In any case, it was found by one of our club members!

The sheriffs department has asked the members not to discuss the location, or the weapon, pending trial and so forth, which could take a couple of years. But, this particular Sheriff's department has called upon our club's ERT several times in the past.

Here is a pair of links to another famous case our ERT was involved in. It was featured in one of the Cold Case Files TV show a couple of years ago. Makes for interesting reading. I thought others might be interested in this facet of our hobby too. Enjoy.

http://members.tripod.com/~WaipahuHaole1/EvidenceRecoveryTeam.html

http://members.tripod.com/~WaipahuHaole1/feb2nd2002update.html

That's neat. I would like to be on some kind of volunteer team down here for that.

Great job. I also have offerred my services(and machines) to a couple local police depts if they ever need them. So far no one has called, but nice way to contribute to the community.

Great story Rudy. I am glad to see your club has such a great working relationship with law enforcement. The county I live and work in is quite small but all the agencies in it know that my metal detector is always available for evidence recovery.

Thanks all. Yes, it is great PR with the local sheriffs and Police departments.

We also had been trying to get our county (Santa Clara), to give us a break on their metal detecting permit fees ($45/year). We weren't getting anywhere, until at a meeting with the board of supervisors, we took a display box full of items club members had found at local parks and playgrounds.

There where nails, screws, knives, ....., even a circular saw blade that some sicko had buried, on-edge, at the bottom of a slide.

After a few minutes of deliberation, they granted us a bulk permit that is now included (along with the San Jose city permit), in our clubs annual membership fee ($20).

that is a great story , your club has helped to put a silver star to the side of our community as a hole , and how some people may have seen us im sure has changed . thank you and your club for helping with the greater good , and helping those people put to rest there fathers tragic passing .

Back
Top Bottom