Buried Treasure?

GunDog

Normally I'm reading stories about people digging up buried treasure -- today I buried some?!

I saved up my zincolns, costume jewelry, trinkets, curios and other bits & pieces I found while metal detecting this year. I finally filled up a mason jar. It's full of pennies from 1982 - 2010, along with a few older ones. These things aren't worth much today, but maybe they will be when somebody digs them up in 100 years or so. I've always been curious about who lost the things I've found, so I included a note in the jar. It's only laminated paper, so it won't last too long. Next time I'm going to include an engraved note.

Attachments

• buried treasure.JPG
    buried treasure.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 741
Very cool. I bet whoever finds it will wonder why someone in 2010 buried a jar full of pennies. So what did it ring up as after you buried it? Overload or junk? And did you bury it in a public place or on a private lot?

Whoever digs that up will think they hit the motherload when they pull it out a year from now and discover a bunch of zincolns!

Great idea !

I've got a 4lb honey jar nearly full of change and was thinking of doing the same thing. Probably $25 worth of coins.
Marty

That's a clever idea and sure would get any MD'ers heart going, zincolns or not.

That's what I call giving back to the hobby.

I am also curious as to what the warning sticker says on your digger....

So what did it ring up as after you buried it? Overload or junk? And did you bury it in a public place or on a private lot?

Well, since I discriminate zinc pennies out...it sounds like junk on MY detector. It amazes me how zinc pennies can "read" all over the scale?! Once they start corroding the VDI could be in the 50's or in the 80's. That's how I end up digging zincolns at all!

I'll give no clues as to where I burried it, other than underground! ;) :D

With Christmas approaching there are always an abundance of those gold covered chocolate coins around... I think I would have a heart attack if I dug a jar of those! :shock: Might have to at least put a Merc in the mix with a note. Thanks for the reminder!

I am also curious as to what the warning sticker says on your digger....

Hmmm...can't find a picture of one that I can read?! It's a standard Lesche "legality" sticker, so they don't get sued if you do something stupid.

UPDATE: I zoomed in on the original picture. Now you can read it...

Attachments

• warning.jpg
    warning.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 545
Back
Top Bottom