MineLab X-Terra 705

Tuco

Found this awesome instructional video on YouTube that helps explain the setup and workings of the X-Terra 705.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPJ7uMulip0

So far, I am pleased with the performance. Found some older coins from the 30's in my front yard. The house was built in the early 50's so I am puzzled how they got there.

Best Regards,

Tuco...

My Xterra is a stud...you will be amazed at the smallest piece, and how deep you will find them. I found a piece, probably off an old toy that was an inch by 1/4 in......plus places you find things will always puzzle you. If the house was built in the 50's, those that were working on it mya have dropped it, or who knows what was there b4 the house was built. Think of it this way, look at the dates you get in your pocket changes, sometims 30 yr + in the date difference.

Have a Noob question here...

I was wondering if it would be worth getting the 10 1/2 inch Double D coil (7.5Khz)?

I'm getting hits with the stock coil but I find that it is really weak when it comes to gold. Does anyone think a DD 7.5 Khz would increase my chances or should I go to a DD 18.75 Khz and would it still be good for coins.

Thanks....Tuco

I got my Minelab in April, just use the stock coil, so using the other sized coil, the opinion of those that have would be more valuable. I have read that each coil, no matter what the brand of detector is does something better in it's own, depending on what type of hunting you are going to do, and what types of areas you are hunting in, trash, soil type, etc. I have yet to find any gold either, so the areas that I detect in, could not tell you if its is because the standard is not gold friendly, or just the fact that there is none.

Thanks for the advice. Just got off the phone with Kellyco. and the gentleman was saying what you said. For better depth and coverage use a DD coil but if your interested in any kind of Gold go for the High Frequency (18.75 khz) DD coil.

Thanks again.

Tuco...

Interesting thread thanks
I just bought my x705 in Mar. I am happy with most of the features and have found 1 piece of gold. A good size gold case watch (ladies) about 3 inches deep. I didn't really want to buy another coil other than the stock but the opinions that they are weak on gold kinda scares me. I was looking for a well rounded machine for everything and don't have the cash to get seperate coils etc. I agree that they go deep and find good small hits. I do think though, it is slower in signal than some machines I tried. If I am waisting my time searching for general jewelry including gold rings (which I haven't found) I will sell and get another unit. Any gold ring finders with a stock coil chiming in? Would make me feel better.:)
Doc

Hi DigginDoc,

It is my understanding that no matter what brand of machine you are using, to find delicate gold items you have to be in the higher frequencies (18 +). So lets say you have a Garret or Whites with a coil somewhere around 7.5 Khz, you would need a higher freq coil for those units also.

I don't know if this will make sense to anyone but the pattern difference between concentric and Double D is below.

Concentric
- -
- -
=

DD
-----
-----
-----
-----

As you can see the DD has better coverage and requires less overlay when sweeping.

Think I am going to go with the 10.5 inch 7.5 Khz round DD coil. For $149.00 with free shipping, no so bad. Already have a 18.75 Khz Oval coil for the small and delicate gold hunting.

Please chime in if I'm wrong here.

Best Regards....Tuco

Last edited:
Your stock coil will find most all gold jewelery except fine gold chains and the smallest of small gold items. I found 12 gold rings in the grass last year with the stock coil. It is a great all around machine.

Dave

all of the minelab xterra coils are waterpproof. I would want the concentric high freq coil because it is lighter than the dd coil for the beach.

I have the elliptical 18.75 DD for my 705 and my wife has the stock. I've used them both and the DD is far better and worth the $$. I don't know why you say it cant' pinpoint accurately. Just pinpoint from one direction then go 90 degrees and it is dead on accurate.
Next time I'm in town I'm buying my wife a DD for hers also.

I have the elliptical 18.75 DD for my 705 and my wife has the stock. I've used them both and the DD is far better and worth the $$. I don't know why you say it cant' pinpoint accurately. Just pinpoint from one direction then go 90 degrees and it is dead on accurate.
Next time I'm in town I'm buying my wife a DD for hers also.

you misquoted me. I didn't say iy wasn't accurate, I said it is harder and it is. I have owned and used both. With a concentric you don't have to go in two directions and that makes it easier to use.

all of the minelab xterra coils are waterpproof. I would want the concentric high freq coil because it is lighter than the dd coil for the beach.

The Elliptical DD coil is another good coil because it's llight also. I wasn't thinking about until the gentleman above brought it to my attention.

705 vs AT Pro

I've narrowed my choices down to the two detectors.

I like the stock DD on the AT Pro but I can't find any meaningful reviews on it. Lots of positive reviews on the ML 705 but its a bit pricey. I did find a great air test on You Tube between the Garrett 350 w/ DD and the 705 stock concentric. The 705 detected silver, gold ring and quarter at 11.5 -12 inches (quarter was weak) and the Garrett 350 barely detected anything at that distance.

Has anyone ever compared or owend the AT Pro to the Minelab Xterra 705?
Thanks in advance. I appreciate all of our preceeding posts. Great info and opinions.

Back
Top Bottom