Finding small gold with Minelab Explorer SE

BountyHunter

Elite Member
In another thread it was talked about the Explorers' lack of sensitivity to small gold. People were curious as to how come such a matter could be with the multitude of frequencies put out by the detector as this quote puts it:

SNIPP

Both the FBS and White's multi-frequency systems have advantages. The one thing that has always confused me with the FBS is that it is killer on deep silver, but lacks in the gold area. One would think using up to 100khz would kill on gold, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Oh well, the right detector for the right job.

SNIPP

I have gold samples in the sizes of 1 grain, 2 grain and 3 grain.

I always figured that my Minelab Explorer SE wasn't using the 100KHz frequency all the time; this depending on wich channel it was when we noise cancel automatically or manually.

I have therefore made some tests playing with the channels and looking at the most sensitive one.
I also established that Ferrous rejection could only be set at 31 at most to obtain a reading of my small samples, Conductivity readings were in the 00 to 05 range.

It was mandatory that I set the DEEP option to ON for any detection sensitivity and consistency

UPDATE: I forgot to mention that I have tested with the default 10.5 inches SlimLine coil and it was not as good as my 4.5" x 7" DD Excelerator coil. All tests below and their results are reflecting the use of this small DD Excelerator coil

1- I started with my 3 grain sample and sensitivity at default of 22 and channel default #5.
--> Result: the sample was not detected

2- I then changed channel to #1 and kept same sentivity of 22
-->Result: 3 grain gold sample was Detected with some intermittence

3- I set sensitivity to 23, nothing else changed.
--> Result: The sample was detected with consistency

4- I tried now with channel #2, 3 grain sample, sensitivity 23.
-->Result: the sample was detected with some loss of consistency

5- I tried now with channel #3, 3 grain sample, sensitivity 23.
-->Result: the sample was detected with intermittence.

6- I tried now with channel #4, 3 grain sample, sensitivity 23.
-->Result: the sample was not detected

7- I reverted to channel #1, used the 2 grain sample, sensitivity 23.
--> Result: the 2 grain sample was not detected

8- Still on channel #1, 2 grain sample, sensitivity now at 25.
--> Result: the 2 grain sample was detected

Conclusions:

-Any channel above #3(three) wasn't sensitive to small gold.
-Sensitivity needs to be at minimum set at 23 on most sensitive channel.
-You need to be in "All Metal" with "Iron Mask" set at 32. At 31 it will detect also but less consistently.
-Deep option(in Recovery sub-menu) needs to be set to ON
-Detection of the sample is most sensitive within 2 inches of ends of the DD coils' center blade.
-these findings are also verifiable with the Sunray inline probe fitted on my Explorer SE

So it appears we are using these gold sensitive high frequencies only on channel #1 to #3.

-Also, I will need to obtain small gold ear pins to verify their coordinates as to the Fer-Cond numbers, to see if one can set more Ferrous rejection than 31 with these targets
UPDATE: I obtained small gold ear pins and they were reading often at 31 of Ferrous content! So do not discriminate out 31 if you want every bit of small gold.

I hope this thread will catch on with current users and others. I'm hoping this will have people report that they have found something golden that they know they wouldn't have in the past :p

Lets say you find a medal and before this knowledge, it was almost assured an Explorer user wouldn't find the small chain. But now with this new knowledge, the person succeeds in finding the small chain to the medal, this would now be awesome!:shock:

Enjoy!

There is one post at other forum that has a guy using an Explorer II and he also tells of using DEEP option set to ON and no Iron Masking. But he doesn't talk about wich channel his detector was on.

See here:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=27565.0

Enjoy!

UPDATE: I want to add that when selecting the DEEP option, you have to swing more slowly (like the Explorer wasn't a slow to swing detector already). The circuitry seems to be checking more characteristic of the signal and it is taking longer to be ready to analyze a subsequent signal.

At the limit of detectability

I have experimented further and have discovered that using the SMOOTH response sound was giving me a MUCH better signal to listen to.

I have tried the other sound response choices but, to me, the SMOOTH sound response was best.

Enjoy!

Good info.

I'm not a gold nugget hunter so I'm not sure just how big a 1, 2 or 3 grain is. I always felt the FBS should do better on gold, but my SE, GT and X-Tara 70 just didn't seem to do well with small gold. I had also noticed you don't see much gold jewelry being found on the forums with them.

Perhaps this information will bring more golden finds to the forums.

Very nice info!! I don't think those settings would work very good at a local park or old home-site because of nails/foil, But would be great for somewhere that produces gold nuggets with few other targets around..

@Lightningjack

you are right, but so would a dedicated gold detector be not practical looking where we mostly hunt, at a local park or old home-site.
My findings for the Minelab Explorer do not turn it into a Gold Magnet ;) It and a dedicated gold detector, remain both, detectors, not magnets.:p

I have done this research to help me in the context of times when finding a golden medal, pendant and knowing how to and what to change settings-wise to have a go at trying to locate the golden chain to this medal/pendant. Then, the settings would make sense for detecting the limited surface one would re-check around the location of the first find.

curious how the F75 would perform in je on these test;)

Shhhhhh! don't tell but....

...the F75 hits small gold better than the Explorer.

But double-Shhhhhhh! my Bounty Hunter Time Ranger with the 4inch coil hits small gold also hard,
not as much as the F75 in JE mode/process but still,
it's a machine that costs one third the price of each of the other two models (Explorer, F75)

Yes indeed the F75 is actually designed also for gold nugget hunting. It is better than the FBS Minelab's.

John Tomlinson,CET
John's Detectors

For coins and relics, the F75 is as deep.

For small silver, the Explorer, on the right noise cancel channel, is deepest, or should I say, is the easiest to discern small silver with.

For coins and relics, the F75 is as deep.

For small silver, the Explorer, on the right noise cancel channel, is deepest, or should I say, is the easiest to discern small silver with.

Thanks! I was just curious. I see in your sig that you own both machines. Did you do a side-by-side comparison to see if the f75 could hit the same deep targets the Explorer hit?

Dave

Back
Top Bottom