Best time of the year....October

teotwawki12

Elite Member
Was sunny and in the 60's and the beans are being harvested...

Went to a farm which has some fields with old homesteads I've hunted before. Stopped in at the grain elevator to ask where they've planted winter wheat. The field I wanted was unplanted and plowed, but they suggested I might like to try an abandoned house they have near the field.

I hunted it for about 45 minutes and decided I wasn't in the mood to fight through the 1970's change to find the older stuff today. Will save that one for another time with some reinforcements. Found a few doo-dads:

KIMG0727.jpg

Moved over to the field I'd intended to search; I've been there once before when it was harvested. It has a huge iron patch that is very noisy, but when I grab a non-ferrous tone it's generally something old. I dug LOTS of mid-tones and took my time. It was recently plowed and I only used my shovel a couple of times; could generally just poke my pinpointer into the dirt and find what I was looking for. Here are a couple of the better buttons and a pretty 1870 nickel:

KIMG0728.jpg KIMG0729.jpg KIMG0731.jpg KIMG0733.jpg KIMG0736.jpg KIMG0737.jpg KIMG0738.jpg KIMG0740.jpg

Didn't hear a high tone for hours other than a few bleeping rivets (which of course sound like silver dimes) and one 1910 wheat penny...which I think I lost.

Then, closer to the road side of the "hill" which I'm guessing the house was on, started getting some higher tones:

KIMG0741.jpg KIMG0742.jpg KIMG0743.jpg KIMG0745.jpg KIMG0747.jpg KIMG0748.jpg
KIMG0749.jpg KIMG0750.jpg

The sun was going down, I was sore, and my detector battery had been on one bar for quite a while. So I detected back to the car. Found a watch winding key...great way to end the day!

But got one more clear high tone, almost back to the car (didn't finish the "front yard" area yet...this trip). Pulled up the dirt with my hand and out popped what was clearly a silver dime. Had to be old, given the other stuff I'd been finding. Sat there and watched the sun set and enjoyed not knowing what it was going to be for a couple minutes...

KIMG0751.jpg KIMG0752.jpg KIMG0753.jpg KIMG0754.jpg

Went home and cleaned things up:
IMG_2147.jpg IMG_2148.jpg IMG_2153.jpgIMG_2150.jpg

One thing that intrigued me was this chunk of what appears to be native copper. It's not magnetic, green, and I scratched a bit of it to reveal shiny copper color.... What is a 3/4 pound chunk of native copper doing in the middle of the lower peninsula of Michigan??? Thing rang up 37 on the Equinox.

IMG_2154.jpg IMG_2155.jpg IMG_2156.jpg IMG_2157.jpg

Now it's time to google that "Free Silver" button...curious about that too....

*edit*. Seems float copper HAS been found this far south… pretty dang cool…. https://museum.mtu.edu/sites/default/files/2019-11/AESMM_Web_Pub_3_Float_ Copper.pdf

Last edited:
One of the best narratives with pics I've read on here. Great hunt.

Yes sir, October is the best time to hunt. Wow T what a hunt, and great write up as well. Congrats on all the great finds. You covered just about all the bases, A seated, a shield, an Ihp., a largie, buttons and relics. And that free silver button is a first, never saw one before. Update us please if you get any info on it. Good luck on the return. Mark

Wow! What a great hunt! So many cool finds. Very nice.

Thanks for the wonderful writeup and excellent photos! We were sitting there watching the sun go down with you!

Yes sir, October is the best time to hunt. Wow T what a hunt, and great write up as well. Congrats on all the great finds. You covered just about all the bases, A seated, a shield, an Ihp., a largie, buttons and relics. And that free silver button is a first, never saw one before. Update us please if you get any info on it. Good luck on the return. Mark

Don't forget 3/4 pound float copper Mark!! :yes:

One of the best narratives with pics I've read on here. Great hunt.

Ditto. All the elements of the hunt. The location objective, the reveals, the final lay-out, the variety and whatzits, the play-by-play, etc...

Wow, that is one great hunt! I especially like the very nice 1870 Shield Nickel, the Free Silver button (William Jennings Bryan 1896 era) and that 1859 Canadian Large Cent!

Holy Cow!! All of the above!! That hunt checks all the boxes. Looks like I should hit some more fields. Congrats!!

Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Wow! What a great hunt! So many cool finds. Very nice.

Thanks for the wonderful writeup and excellent photos! We were sitting there watching the sun go down with you!

Grats! Looks like a very nice hunt. Some great finds.

Man, you really cleaned up. Well done.

Ditto. All the elements of the hunt. The location objective, the reveals, the final lay-out, the variety and whatzits, the play-by-play, etc...

Wow, that is one great hunt! I especially like the very nice 1870 Shield Nickel, the Free Silver button (William Jennings Bryan 1896 era) and that 1859 Canadian Large Cent!

I'll just echo everything already said here. I really enjoyed seeing all the great stuff you found. Super Congrats!

All I’ll say is👍👍👍

Holy Cow!! All of the above!! That hunt checks all the boxes. Looks like I should hit some more fields. Congrats!!

Thanks fellas

Great pictures, thank you for sharing!
This is my favorite time of year for hunting as well.
A couple more weeks and all the mosquitos will be dead!!

Thanks…was one of those great days…. (I want to write like Airmet Tango when I grow up :lol:)

….Didn't hear a high tone for hours other than a few bleeping rivets (which of course sound like silver dimes)…

Fantastic hunt, teotw!! No end to the good stuff there…one great find after another! The Free Silver button is great history though - that’s my favorite of the bunch, for sure. Hard to choose between the Shield, the Canadian Largie, or the Seated after that…heck I even love the clock gears (I keep all the ones I find in their own display jar :cool3:)

I hear ya on those rivets…the cooper roofing “disc rivets” are the bane of my existence in many of my field or former home site hunts…they often ring up either as dimes or IHPs. I’m a sucker for ‘em every time!

And thanks for the minor shout out…I always figure 80% of the folks skip all the words and just look at the pictures, so it’s nice to know all the blah blah is appreciated :cool:

Back
Top Bottom