The relics were biting today, and mercury helped me take them home

TommyJay

Forum Supporter
I went over to the second townsite today to see if I could find where the hotel had stood. The map I have was drawn by someone who had lived there, but the accuracy, though not bad, is still not exact. In the pic, Im guessing that the hotel, and a group of buildings that formed an L shape, were on the left side middle and over the other side of the fence.

IMG_20220527_114836707_HDR.jpg

I used this bridge, and the only building left standing as a guide to give me a better estimate to where the buildings stood.

IMG_20220527_153252268_HDR.jpg

The bridge is blocked off, and led to where some of the coal mines were, but it still looks sturdy enough for cars to go across.

I started out in Field 2 and all metal to see if I could pick up the trashy areas that might show where a building once stood, but it was almost overwhelming so I went back to my silver program and used my gut instinct. As I got closer to the river, I started to pick up high tones to dig. This first pic is all of the nicer junk I dug, and Im glad that the large brass valve connector was close to my truck.

IMG_20220527_155547855_HDR (2).jpg

These better finds were found in the area where I thought the buildings would be. The fork and tool tags were a good indication that I was in the right area.

IMG_20220527_155606855 (2).jpg

I started to do an expanding circle grid, and found the Turner Mch & Mfg Co tag, and the best find: a 1920 merc in nice condition!

IMG_20220527_155640574 (2).jpg

IMG_20220527_155656789 (2).jpg

IMG_20220527_175137504 (2).jpg

The dresser pull, hose sprinkler, and pen cap could have been from the hotel. I first thought that the disc with the square hole was a Chinese coin, but there is no writing on it. The tag with the embossed 147 on it is like no other tags we have found at these townsites. Hotel key fob, or fancier miners tag?

Thanks for looking, and HH!

Very nice finds, and historic too! Just wondering if you or anyone you know of has probed for and found and dug any of the old privy pits for old bottles, coins and tokens?

Thanks for telling a great story and congrats on the finds.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Very cool finds. I love the photo of the bridge. I'm sure I'm wrong, but the item at the top of your one photo, almost looks like part of a telegraph unit.

Very nice finds, and historic too! Just wondering if you or anyone you know of has probed for and found and dug any of the old privy pits for old bottles, coins and tokens?

Thank you! As far as I know, no. I did glance along the rivers edge to see if I could see any bottles sticking out, but I found none. The river is running high from spring runoff in the mountains, but I would like to check the banks out more in the future.

Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Thanks, RJ!

Great pictures !

Thanks Tom!

Thanks for telling a great story and congrats on the finds.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Thanks Indy!

Very cool finds. I love the photo of the bridge. I'm sure I'm wrong, but the item at the top of your one photo, almost looks like part of a telegraph unit.

Thanks Boones! I thought so too. Its off of some type of switch so Ill have to look at it again, and look at pics of telegraph keys.

Good stuff and a really nice Merc . A beautiful area to hunt , Congrats .Nice photos as well .

Thanks SS!

Back
Top Bottom