Does this count as 5?

LongJohnSilver1

Elite Member
After breaking my nemo and headphones I was pretty grumpy at the ocean, but what she takes away she also can give back!
I bought myself a 2nd hand nemo in new condition and geared back up instead of waiting on repairs as I knew the sand had been moving and goodies would be waiting.

I hit a new spot which I thought showed promise, and the targets came thick and fast, loads of modern coins but also a lot of old silver coins - I pulled 10 for the day plus a swag of silver rings/chains. Clad total was $32.

About 1/2 through the hunt I reached an area that had been freshly exposed, and there was coin after coin. My arms were burning and if I wasn't underwater I'm sure you'd have seen sweat pouring off me.

First came the 9k gold signet you see in the top left. It was super crusty and fell apart in my pouch but I saved all of it.
Then in the space of 5 minutes, out popped the middle 2 rings which are 18k, and the OAHU collage ring (1938) which I believe is 10k and maybe the seal is 18k. The thing is heavy for it's size at 5 grams and the seal wasn't tarnished like the body of the ring was.

And of course the find of the day (probably year) was the 20 corona gold coin, set in 14k. It's near mint condition, not a scratch on it visible to the naked eye.

So the question is, does a gold coin wearing a ring of 14k, count as a ring?!

Attachments

• 20220423_171014_2.jpg
    20220423_171014_2.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 537
Awesome hunt LJ... and no the coin is a pendant :lol:

You can't wear it on your finger... I'll make an exception take drill and drill the coin big enough for your finger to go through then it will count :lol:

Makes you a member of the gold coin club if you didn't already join it. Wonder if Big Poppa still accepts members officially? Of course he preferred if you dug one with a garden weasel :lol:

After breaking my nemo and headphones I was pretty grumpy at the ocean, but what she takes away she also can give back!
I bought myself a 2nd hand nemo in new condition and geared back up instead of waiting on repairs as I knew the sand had been moving and goodies would be waiting.

I hit a new spot which I thought showed promise, and the targets came thick and fast, loads of modern coins but also a lot of old silver coins - I pulled 10 for the day plus a swag of silver rings/chains. Clad total was $32.

About 1/2 through the hunt I reached an area that had been freshly exposed, and there was coin after coin. My arms were burning and if I wasn't underwater I'm sure you'd have seen sweat pouring off me.

First came the 9k gold signet you see in the top left. It was super crusty and fell apart in my pouch but I saved all of it.
Then in the space of 5 minutes, out popped the middle 2 rings which are 18k, and the OAHU collage ring (1938) which I believe is 10k and maybe the seal is 18k. The thing is heavy for it's size at 5 grams and the seal wasn't tarnished like the body of the ring was.

And of course the find of the day (probably year) was the 20 corona gold coin, set in 14k. It's near mint condition, not a scratch on it visible to the naked eye.

Gotta love those new spots!!!Thanks for sharing! Congrats to you!

Makes you a member of the gold coin club if you didn't already join it. Wonder if Big Poppa still accepts members officially? Of course he preferred if you dug one with a garden weasel :lol:

No this is my first!
I forgot to mention I had another first today as well, I found a 1946 half crown which is a silver coin I've never found before. It's really rare these days although numismatic value isn't high

:dingding: OUTSTANDING hunt!
Awesome hunt LJ... and no the coin is a pendant :lol:
You can't wear it on your finger... I'll make an exception take drill and drill the coin big enough for your finger to go through then it will count :lol:
Unlike the brute heathen here having you drill a hole you may separate the coin from the holders and thus turn it into 2 items - a gold coin and a gold "pendant ring". :lol:

Last edited:
after breaking my nemo and headphones i was pretty grumpy at the ocean, but what she takes away she also can give back!
I bought myself a 2nd hand nemo in new condition and geared back up instead of waiting on repairs as i knew the sand had been moving and goodies would be waiting.

I hit a new spot which i thought showed promise, and the targets came thick and fast, loads of modern coins but also a lot of old silver coins - i pulled 10 for the day plus a swag of silver rings/chains. Clad total was $32.

About 1/2 through the hunt i reached an area that had been freshly exposed, and there was coin after coin. My arms were burning and if i wasn't underwater i'm sure you'd have seen sweat pouring off me.

First came the 9k gold signet you see in the top left. It was super crusty and fell apart in my pouch but i saved all of it.
Then in the space of 5 minutes, out popped the middle 2 rings which are 18k, and the oahu collage ring (1938) which i believe is 10k and maybe the seal is 18k. The thing is heavy for it's size at 5 grams and the seal wasn't tarnished like the body of the ring was.

outstanding!!!!

Most md'rs (including myself) do not count gold coins, mounted in jewelry (a bezel, or a ring, etc...) as being a "gold coin". They would count in the jewelry category.

If that's not accurate, then I have 17 gold coins. Not 16 gold coins. Because I found a 1945 Mexican Dos Pesos made into an earring one time (obviously a modern jewelry loss). But have never counted that as a gold coin.

I know a guy who found a $5 gold mounted in a bezel on a Mr. T gold necklace chain. And I know another guy who found a Krugerrand mounted as jewelry. Neither of them counted them as gold coins.

HOLY COW! I dream of doing that in a year, let alone 1 day :laughing:

6 rings and 8 gold :?:
The coins aren't soldering into position, they are pressed. The pendant has two rings ;) Once the center objects are popped out, you have a total of 8 gold pieces.

Its a stretch, but I think you'd win in court. :lol:

Most md'rs (including myself) do not count gold coins, mounted in jewelry (a bezel, or a ring, etc...) as being a "gold coin". They would count in the jewelry category.

If that's not accurate, then I have 17 gold coins. Not 16 gold coins. Because I found a 1945 Mexican Dos Pesos made into an earring one time (obviously a modern jewelry loss). But have never counted that as a gold coin.

I know a guy who found a $5 gold mounted in a bezel on a Mr. T gold necklace chain. And I know another guy who found a Krugerrand mounted as jewelry. Neither of them counted them as gold coins.

I think it counts in my view if the coin is unmodified, and merely held in a mount

I see it does and great finds nonetheless!

I envy you guys who live close to coastal areas and can hunt them frequently.

In what part of the 'world' did you find these items?
Australia, so no mder tax although I'm happy to post my pull tab collection to anyone

HOLY COW! I dream of doing that in a year, let alone 1 day :laughing:

6 rings and 8 gold :?:
The coins aren't soldering into position, they are pressed. The pendant has two rings ;) Once the center objects are popped out, you have a total of 8 gold pieces.

Its a stretch, but I think you'd win in court. :lol:

Not in this court :lol:

I think it counts in my view if the coin is unmodified, and merely held in a mount

From a strategy and history point-of-view, what would feel better to you : A $5 gold piece, that was in a bezel, in a modern sandbox (hence obviously a recent jewelry loss), Or : That same dated $5 gold that you had to hike a mile into the desert, to a ghost town or stage stop or defunct 1800s resort or whatever ?

I think most people would prefer the gold coin that was lost as period fumble-fingers circulated loss, rather than the modern sandbox . EVEN though the coin might be identical.

But in any event, the 1945 Dos Peso earring I found was in a bezel. So can I could that as a gold coin ? If so, then my gold coin count is 17, not 16 :shock:

And how do we categorize Krugerands, Pandas, Maple-leafs, and other such commemoratives, that were never meant to actually circulate as spend-able coins ? Do they count as "gold coins" ? Or as jewelry ? :?:

From a strategy and history point-of-view, what would feel better to you : A $5 gold piece, that was in a bezel, in a modern sandbox (hence obviously a recent jewelry loss), Or : That same dated $5 gold that you had to hike a mile into the desert, to a ghost town or stage stop or defunct 1800s resort or whatever ?

I think most people would prefer the gold coin that was lost as period fumble-fingers circulated loss, rather than the modern sandbox . EVEN though the coin might be identical.

But in any event, the 1945 Dos Peso earring I found was in a bezel. So can I could that as a gold coin ? If so, then my gold coin count is 17, not 16 :shock:

And how do we categorize Krugerands, Pandas, Maple-leafs, and other such commemoratives, that were never meant to actually circulate as spend-able coins ? Do they count as "gold coins" ? Or as jewelry ? :?:

If it could have been spent as a coin and remains intact as a coin, then it's still a coin.
Provided I had a time machine I could pop that Corona out, zap back to 1915 Austria and spend correct?

Back
Top Bottom