My arrowhead collection

longbow62

Forum Supporter
I started arrowhead hunting in the summer of 1990 after thumbing through an Overstreet Guide to projectile points at a big box bookstore. There were many pictured in the book from N.E. Arkansas so I got in my head to start looking for them. I had found a few before this, but it was never something I seriously did as a hobby. After I started finding them regularly I got my father interested in it. We ended up spending more time arrowhead hunting together than we ever had doing anything else together. I really cherish all that time I got to spent with him doing something we both really enjoyed.

He passed away in 2006, and after that I basically quit my serious quest to find arrowheads. The following photos are the best ones we had in a case at my parents house. All pictured were found by either him or I. They represent a lot of gas burnt, and an unbelievable amount of miles walked in about every weather condition imaginable.

Attachments

• Arrowheads 001.jpg
    Arrowheads 001.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 462
  • Arrowheads 002.jpg
    Arrowheads 002.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 448
  • Arrowheads 003.jpg
    Arrowheads 003.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 463
  • Arrowheads 004.jpg
    Arrowheads 004.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 454
  • Arrowheads 006.jpg
    Arrowheads 006.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 459
  • Arrowheads 009.jpg
    Arrowheads 009.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 458
  • Arrowheads 011.jpg
    Arrowheads 011.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 474
What a cool collection. It is interesting I just read a news article the other day about a man in Georgia with a massive collection of arrowheads. Cool finds. Glad you got to spend that time with your Dad. My Dad passed in 2008 Although we hd other interests than arrowheads your story reminds me of those times. Thanks for sharing.

That's a great collection longbow. I have always looked for indian artifacts when I'm in the fields but have never found one.:no: But other in the area people find them all the time

Steve

A great story and a beautiful collection of artifacts! I have a handful of points but you have gathered quite a nice amount. The best part is that every time you look at them, you are reminded of the quality time with your dad. Thanks for sharing!

Wow excellent finds, and great display case! Still waiting for my first native relic. Plenty of native history around here, and I've heard of them being found, so my hope is high. Thanks for posting!

The price of gas and the miles walked are a bargain price paid for all the enjoyment it brought you and your dad. Great collection, something to be proud of.

That is one very nice large collection longbow. And so many different types. Excellent. The time you have invested is quite obvious and to share that with your father is priceless. Thanks for sharing with us. Mark

Awesome!
Many perfect large examples.
A family in our area found so many arrowheads on their property that they built a museum. I can see where it would be an addictive hobby.

What a beautiful collection!

I've found two nice points, and whenever anyone asks me what my best find is from metal detecting, I always refer to those. Sure, old coins, buttons, and whatnot, are fun to find, but to pick up a point or tool that was last touched by someone, maybe thousands of years ago, is a special experience.

Thanks for sharing!

Great collection! Any way of telling how old they are? Any historical facts about them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a fantastic collection! I had a small collection of about 30 as a kid when we just found them when walking across plowed fields. Have no idea where that box went many, many years ago.

question about arrowhead finding.

I guess I have to find them before I collect them.

I live along the Chattahoochee river in North Atlanta. Just across the river was Indian territory and on my side of the river Federal territory (but before that of course Indian territory.

Funny have walked along creeks in this area metal detecting but have never found a single arrowhead. But to be honest I was not looking for them.

Any hints other than just looking down for them? Do you dig for them? Not any farming area around here anymore so I cannot look in plowed fields after a rain storm. Sure would like to find some and there has to be a lot of them.

As a side note, the foremost Indian village is on a hill on the Chattahoochee, but within the boundaries of the large Atlanta water works. After 911 up went 8 foot high chain link fence with no tresspassing signs.

any hints will be appreciated.

Nice assortment!

I find them fairly often. Mano/metates, cordage and other tools as well. But stopped picking any of it up many years ago. I just leave it all where I find it.

- Dave

What's the catalog system you're using? Do the numbers correspond to a location?

The number corresponds to a different official site number assigned by the Arkansas Archeological Survey. Some of my sites already had a site number assigned as they had been recorded by someone else, and some we recorded were unknown.

Back
Top Bottom