Brown Barber Dime - Can it be cleaned?

Romeo7

Forum Supporter
Hey everybody, I just found this 1898 Barber Dime this afternoon at a park that I have been consistently finding silver at. All silver coins I find are usually as shiny as the day they were dropped, that is until I found this 1898 Barber Dime. It is mostly brown like when today's clad silver tarnishes when in the ground for a couple of weeks. Any ideas on how to clean it? I tried the Baking Soda and Aluminum, then Lemon Juice. Nothing works.

Thanks in Advance.

-Mark

Attachments

• P0003628.jpg
    P0003628.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 1,228
  • P0003629.jpg
    P0003629.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 1,163
I wouldnt do anything more to it , it appears to be in extremely nice condition details wise.Let it soak longer maybe at the most in the baking powder/foil..i found one that stays black , figure it might have been in a fire.

I suggest the aluminum foil method.

Get a glass bowl and put some aluminum foil on the bottom shiny side up. Microwave enough water to cover the foil and coin for 45 seconds to 1 minute and then add some baking soda to the water. Put the dime on top of the foil and add the water. The tarnish should disappear.

I suggest the aluminum foil method.

Get a glass bowl and put some aluminum foil on the bottom shiny side up. Microwave enough water to cover the foil and coin for 45 seconds to 1 minute and then add some baking soda to the water. Put the dime on top of the foil and add the water. The tarnish should disappear.

Thanks Detector.
So, I tried this and let it soak for 30 minutes with no change. Any other ideas?

After Pictures

Here are the after pictures:

This barber is not a key date, in fact they minted millions of them. I new there was going to be some pitting that usually accompanies corrosion. I decided to leave it in for about 30 more minutes. When I checked back, it was really fizzing. The tarnish was dropping off in little clumps. I then made a Baking Soda paste and rubbed it with my fingers. It really shined up. Thanks for the advice.

Attachments

• P0003638.jpg
    P0003638.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,125
  • P0003639.jpg
    P0003639.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 1,109
Mark,please don't take this the wrong way,but I think that one may have been better off left alone.

Of course,if I ever get lucky enough to find one,I may have a different opinion.:):(

Mark,please don't take this the wrong way,but I think that one may have been better off left alone.

Of course,if I ever get lucky enough to find one,I may have a different opinion.:):(

I clean all mine too, but i wished i hadnt.. if i ever find silver again, it will keep its old look:yes:

Oh Romeo7, nice coin:cool:

Thanks. Trust me, I have about 40 silver coins now, and I never cleaned any of them more than just soap, water or a thumb rubbing. As I said before, this Barber was not a key date and not worth much as a coin. I think it's only worth its weight in silver. Anyway, I found the electrolysis cleaning method with the foils and the Baking Soda so intriguing, I wanted to try it. I'm not sorry I did it. In fact, it now looks good with the rest of my silver dimes in my collection. The coin was already visually pitted from corrosion, now it's just shiny.

Good luck on finding your own Barber Dime. It's out there...

HH.

-Mark

I agree, you may have hurt the value of it.

I agree, you may have hurt the value of it.

Nope. Did no such thing. It will always be priceless to me.

BTW, to be real about it, they minted 16 Million of these. It's with about $3 in good condition, which is about what it's worth in melt value.

The Saga Continues

After considering that I obviously offended a few of the members of this board by cleaning my Barber Dime, I decided to make things right. I took my Dremel with the carbon steel wire brush wheel to the areas of the dime that had the corrosion pitting. Turns out that it was on the surface so it came off easily to reveal the true surface of the coin. Then, I had to make the coin old again, so I tried the old egg yolk trick. I placed the coin in a mason jar with a cooked egg yolk and let it sit overnight. It came out looking like it was in the ground for 100 years! I rubbed my finger on it like I usually do to all my silver find and wallah!!!! The coin is old again!!!! It looks just like the 1903 Barber dime I dug up last year that was naturally aged.

Thanks for following this little experiment of mine and HH.

-Mark

Attachments

• P0003656.jpg
    P0003656.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 752
  • P0003667.jpg
    P0003667.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 719
  • P0003668.jpg
    P0003668.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 740
I like it! I'll take my Barber dime overeasy, wait scrambled, no wait, silver side up! Nice work. Still just a dream for me.

Joe

Romeo7,glad to see you have a sense of humor with your coin.Being a coin collector first,the thought of cleaning a coin is taboo.You are right though,the only real value is the silver,and the excitement of digging it out of the ground.

PS,I hope you got all the egg washed off it,you might have a strange smell coming from it if not:lol:

Back
Top Bottom