Land Hunting best single hunt: 4 golds 2 silvers, and 12 rings total!!

Skippy SH13

Forum Supporter
I absolutely KILLED IT, last night. I hunted for just over 2.5 hours, and managed FOUR golds, TWO silvers and TWELVE total rings!

$4.62 was a consolation prize... I took that out, too.

It all began with me searching on Google Maps for a school to hunt at. I always just pull up my phone and type "Schools" and then see what pops up. I've learned that if you center your map over different areas, and then re-search the term, it'll pop up different schools.

For whatever reason, this particular school is hard to get to pop up on the maps. It's kind of in an out-of-the-way location. So much so, that I've only ever hunted it ONCE, and that was 3 years ago, when I first started with the ACE350. I remembered it, when I showed up to the school and remembered that it was a well hunted area (hardly any change), and lots of trash.

But that was with the ACE350. I'm running the AT Max. Trash? No problem.

I got started on the tot lot, and found exactly nothing. Got two strips into the field (it's a big rectangle), and had managed a 3 dime coin spill and a single penny. On the 3rd strip into the field, I ran across some solid but bouncy signals in the 50's on the AT Max. Dug up the plug and found a silver ring. I thought it was odd to have silver ring up so low, so I waved the pin pointer back into the hole. BINGO! First gold ring pops out.

The next thing that happened is in this video:
https://youtu.be/B3wVur3r-fE

Then I finish checking the hole, and finding nothing else, I stand up and make the next sweep... What's this? More signals right next to the hole?

https://youtu.be/I1gboe_g9Q8

After that, I knew no matter what happened, the hunt was already AWESOME. A double double! Definitely spikes the gold ring counts..

I worked the rest of the field (one strip at a time), and pulled another ring about every 2-3 strips. Ended up with 12 rings total. Change started showing up about 8 strips into the field. Clearly someone else has been here, and had pulled all the dimes and quarters out, but hadn't searched the whole field. Likely every other person that came by, just found trash, and gave up.

About 3/4 of the way through the hunt, I ran across a SOLID 69 signal, and popped the plug Just about pooped my pants when I saw the gold rim showing!

https://youtu.be/Ot5PLLsRzFU

What a hoot. I laughed about that for about 10 minutes, at which time I pulled another silver ring:

https://youtu.be/qlk0JIh7hXE

I finished the day with a puzzle ring (too bad it wasn't gold!), at smiled all the way back to the truck at my TWELVE RING HUNT. My previous best was 9, and they were all junkers.

This was a killer hunt, and one I hope to beat someday. On land, though, anytime you can get TWO golds is a brilliant day. But a double double? That's just amazing.

The flattened gold ring was 18K (1.4 grams), and the others were all 10K. Total weight was 4.37 grams. Value of all rings' gold is about $90.

Thanks for reading!

EDIT: Just acid tested everything, it all checks out. 18K for the one, and 10K for the rest.

Skippy

Attachments

• IMG_1204.jpg
    IMG_1204.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 697
  • IMG_1205.jpg
    IMG_1205.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 700
  • RenderedImage.jpg
    RenderedImage.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 688
  • IMG_1209.jpg
    IMG_1209.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 675
  • IMG_1223.jpg
    IMG_1223.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 674
  • IMG_1221.jpg
    IMG_1221.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 648
  • IMG_1220.jpg
    IMG_1220.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 682
  • IMG_1213.jpg
    IMG_1213.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 660
  • IMG_1215.jpg
    IMG_1215.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 673
  • IMG_1216.jpg
    IMG_1216.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 688
  • IMG_1217.jpg
    IMG_1217.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 657
Last edited:
Congrats!

You've written in the past about the importance of location, but give yourself some credit. You have to be methodical, persistent, efficient, and experienced to recover that many rings (or even coins) in a couple of hours. Those who wander aimlessly around fields fretting over whether to dig a signal, and then take several minutes to do so, can hope to occasionally stumble upon a ring.

Thanks for the videos. Really enjoy seeing gold come out of the dirt. Outstanding hunt! That stainless steel honker is a serious Heartbreaker! My son said you and I have identical wheezy laughs. Haha.

Congrats!

You've written in the past about the importance of location, but give yourself some credit. You have to be methodical, persistent, efficient, and experienced to recover that many rings (or even coins) in a couple of hours. Those who wander aimlessly around fields fretting over whether to dig a signal, and then take several minutes to do so, can hope to occasionally stumble upon a ring.

BOLD: You forgot trash.. I also dug a LOT of trash. LOL

Oh yeah. I totally agree. Location is only part of the equation. I typically Grid-search everything I do, because I want to know I've found 90%+ of what's in the field (I miss stuff, like everyone). I don't mind encountering fields where there are only a few coins... but ots of solid trash that sounds like rings... To me that's an indicator that the people before me were cherry picking coins out... and gives me hope that rings are out there! That's why I stuck with this field. Lots of pop tabs, and solid aluminums. I'd found one ring before the gold one (after the dimes and penny), so I was hopeful, already.

When I hit the middle of the field and coins started popping up every couple of swings, and they're actually 2-3" down, I know the field hasn't been back-end searched. I'm looking forward to getting back and doing the 2nd half (hopefully tonight). I ran out of daylight, yesterday! At the very least, I'll pull some more cash out. Possibly more silver, but gold is unlikely on the back-side. Doesn't mean it's not there, but I find more on the parking lot side of elementary schools, where parents put them down.

Skippy

Thanks for the videos. Really enjoy seeing gold come out of the dirt. Outstanding hunt! That stainless steel honker is a serious Heartbreaker! My son said you and I have identical wheezy laughs. Haha.

We're probably related!

My geneology is pretty darn detailed... I was able to discover I'm related to my wife. She's my 10th Cousin. Sounds horrible, until you figure out, that puts our single common ancestor in the early 1600's. (one grandparent out of person out of roughly 8000 great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandparents). LOL

I've also learned that we're all pretty much "Connected." At 570 ago, at one generation for every 30 years, you have 1,000,000 different grandparents (or some the same!). Go back another 1000 years, and there's a good chance, we're all pretty much related.
GENERATION: # OF GRANDPARENTS
Generation 01: 2
Generation 02: 4
Generation 03: 8
Generation 04: 16
Generation 05: 32
Generation 06: 64
Generation 07: 128
Generation 08: 256
Generation 09: 512
Generation 10: 1024
Generation 11: 2048
Generation 12: 4096
Generation 13: 8192
Generation 14: 16,384
Generation 15: 32,768
Generation 16: 65,536
Generation 17: 131,072
Generation 18: 262,144
Generation 19: 524,288
Generation 20: 1,048,576

A 12 ring day is phenomenal. In 2-1/2 hours!!!!! Congratulations.
You said:
I don't mind encountering fields where there are only a few coins... but lots of solid trash that sounds like rings... To me that's an indicator that the people before me were cherry picking coins out... and gives me hope that rings are out there!

Now I get it! I find a few silver, but very few gold. I've haven't been thinking right! Looks like I've got to dig more trash signals. Thanks!

A 12 ring day is phenomenal. In 2-1/2 hours!!!!! Congratulations.
You said:
I don't mind encountering fields where there are only a few coins... but lots of solid trash that sounds like rings... To me that's an indicator that the people before me were cherry picking coins out... and gives me hope that rings are out there!

Now I get it! I find a few silver, but very few gold. I've haven't been thinking right! Looks like I've got to dig more trash signals. Thanks!

I will tell you, it helps to dig more ring signals that end up being trash, than it does trash signals. LOL

And there definitely IS a difference. I can pick out a gum wrapper or aluminum shard quite easily. They sound different than a ring. However, some wrappers (like those folded into little squares) will sound like rings, and some aluminum shards (especially those vertical in the ground) will sound like rings, too.

Pretty much any solid signal I cannot rule out, I'm digging it. I find lots of pendants and rings that are in the penny range, but don't have that typical high-low bleep that pennies do. You can pick them out as "different". Of course, I dig a lot more trash, that way, too.

Tom in CA will often say "You absolutely cannot tell the difference between a ring and trash" and he's absolutely right. But you absolutely CAN tell the difference between trash and a ring. Lots of trash signals sound just like TRASH. Skip those. :)

Wow that is absolutely incredible. Congrats on all those rings. I would not hesitate going back and hunt the other way.
Never would guess having a 12 ring land hunt, simply awesome. Well done.

Wow that is absolutely incredible. Congrats on all those rings. I would not hesitate going back and hunt the other way.
Never would guess having a 12 ring land hunt, simply awesome. Well done.

Thanks... the problem with my methods, though is that they're starting to catch up to me. It's getting harder and harder to find a field I've not gridded several times. It's probably why this one was so exciting!

Skippy

Back
Top Bottom