1930 House on Older Site

Jodo_Kast501

A couple weeks ago, I got a permission I had been wanting for a big house (c. 3,000 sq ft) built in 1930. The house is for sale, so now that I have the permission, I can pretty much go when I want.

The first thing that struck me at this site was the crazy amount of iron – the front yard is incredibly noisy and it was difficult even picking out memorial pennies at 3–4 inches with all the noise from the iron. But the iron coming out of the ground also included square nails and other signs of age, so I was intrigued and wonder if there had been a structure here before the current one. I'm now fairly certain that was the case.

After not having much luck in the front yard, I went around to the side where there is a tree that is easily 130 years old and tried my luck. Paydirt! Over a couple of subsequent hunts there, I got two IHPs, my first V nickel from Kentucky, and three early wheats within a 10 foot radius of the tree. The signet-style silver ring came out near there a couple days ago. It's not marked at all and was so tarnished that I couldn't even tell it was silver at first. I think it's easily 100 years old.

There have also been some very interesting relics coming out of here. Note what appears to be a minie ball still in its brass casing, plus some .41 rimfire casings, along with a pocketwatch case, a lead plumb bob, and a couple of pocketknives. If anyone can help on IDing the button, that would be majorly helpful. It's a one piece flat button with some sort of ancient coin design on the front, but no backmark. Also, is the brass plate in the upper left a heel plate? Thanks for reading and for any help on IDs.

WBqQKRkh.jpg

kdb3aRgh.jpg

zOFxtnPh.jpg

TqTXjBWh.jpg

GClV6TQh.jpg

hn5tDq9h.jpg

Nice permission! I can’t help with id but I doubt thats a plumb bob. It kinda looks like a couple human plumb bobs i worked with though but it’s scrap value is worth more than they were.

Great finds! The item in the bottom left of the top picture reminds me of homemade lead fishing sinkers that I used to pour.

Back
Top Bottom