1940 popular mechanics article

Bounder

I recently got a popular mechanics from may 1940 that has a 5 page article on metal detectors. The writer refers to them as "doodlebugs" and goes on to make some rather incredible claims as to what they can do. Those things were immense and consisted of a framework that you stood inside of with a pole on either side and a suitcase sized box on each end. One was horizontal , the other vertical. There are no technical drawings or explanations on how they worked but at the end of the article he states someone with one may have located the treasure of Maxmillian, the selfproclaimed emperor of mexico. The hoard was supposedly smuggled out of Mexico before his execution and hidden in California. The problem is the detector has pinpointed it beneath the parking lot of the Hollywood bowl. lol

Neat info, thanks for sharing !

I just did a search and you can read it online for free, it has some neat pics too !

Go to this web page -

https://books.google.com/books?id=etkDAAAAMBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

The article starts on page 722, click on the drop down box and choose page 722 -
pm722.jpg

Thanx bounder, and thanx GKL for finding the actual link.

That is an early 2-box they're talking about there . Although some other stuff .... is totally strange. They're also talking about some supposed device that can hear a passing car from 4 blocks away ? A ticking watch from a block away ? I think some author was just having an over-active imagination.

But the stuff about the 2-box , in 1940, is no secret. Fisher had already been making them for several years by then. They couldn't find an object smaller than a soda can or toaster sized object (metal pipes, etc...).

As for the treasure underneath the Hollywood bowl : That just goes to show that superstition, ghost stories, and lore, have never changed in the human psyche. You hear a campfire legend. You get a signal from under a parking lot or stage of an auditorium, and ... presto ! You've *most certainly* found the legendary treasure. Now it's just silly details of getting permission to dig it up, taxes, govt. clearances, etc..... Eh ? Where have we heard these type stories before ? :roll: :laughing:

As for the treasure underneath the Hollywood bowl : That just goes to show that superstition, ghost stories, and lore, have never changed in the human psyche. You hear a campfire legend. You get a signal from under a parking lot or stage of an auditorium, and ... presto ! You've *most certainly* found the legendary treasure. Now it's just silly details of getting permission to dig it up, taxes, govt. clearances, etc..... Eh ? Where have we heard these type stories before ? :roll: :laughing:

Just hit it at night :D

Popular mechanics was a good magazine - not now

I used to love reading that magazine in the past. got my son a subscription 2 years ago for Christmas and he gave them to me after he finished.

it pretty much sucks now. no "mechanics" in the popular mechanics magazine today. Trying to be more like wired or a consumer review magazine. don't waste your money.

Back
Top Bottom