Hard Case for Detector

BufordCityDawg

Elite Member
Wondering of anyone uses a gun case to cary your detector. I saw this for 50.00 and thought it might work. This would be for my Nox,

858151%5F29213%2Dt

For the money a Nox costs, yeah why not.. will it fit? I have a 600 arriving next tuesday and was thinking of something similar to store mine in as well..

I use Pelican and Nanuk cases for various things (not a detector though) and some have a choice of inserts or foam that you pluck out in squares to suit the shape of whatever you want to fit in there. Not sure if they come in long, thin versions though.

As I am sitting in California without it I am really sad that I couldn't take it with me. I have a cruise vacation coming up too. Really want a safe way to travel with it.

BCD

As I am sitting in California without it I am really sad that I couldn't take it with me. I have a cruise vacation coming up too. Really want a safe way to travel with it.

BCD

Suite case works fine. The key is to wrap the screen in something that prevents damage. I use a knee pad... and then wrap in a pair of jeans.

I had only one incident with my detector (I've traveled around the world with it), and it's because I didn't protect it. Had it next to the metal scoop, and it cracked the screen. That's when I came up with the knee pad Idea. The velcro straps make it a snap to install.

The rest of the detector is well protected in a large suitcase.

Frankly, it's not worth paying the extra $70-$100 for a bag to ship separately. ($35-$50 each way). With as much as I've traveled, I would have cleared $1000 in baggage fees. Instead, I've cleared about $800 in finds. Yeah, I cracked the screen, but that ended up with me selling it about $100 off the price (worked fine, but I don't know about waterproofing), and I got a new detector. :)

Attachments

• IMG_4718.JPG
    IMG_4718.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_4717.JPG
    IMG_4717.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_4716.JPG
    IMG_4716.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_4719.JPG
    IMG_4719.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 321
Suite case works fine. The key is to wrap the screen in something that prevents damage. I use a knee pad... and then wrap in a pair of jeans.

I had only one incident with my detector (I've traveled around the world with it), and it's because I didn't protect it. Had it next to the metal scoop, and it cracked the screen. That's when I came up with the knee pad Idea. The velcro straps make it a snap to install.

Frankly, it's not worth paying the extra $70-$100 for a bag to ship separately. ($35-$50 each way). With as much as I've traveled, I would have cleared $1000 in baggage fees. Instead, I've cleared about $800 in finds. Yeah, I cracked the screen, but that ended up with me selling it about $100 off the price (worked fine, but I don't know about waterproofing), and I got a new detector. :)
I flew to Arizona in Feb and I took my gear with me. It almost all completely fit into my carry-on. AT Pro with 5x8 with some shirts to keep it tight. The only thing that didn't was my 27" blood red nemesis GD shovel. And I had to check that in my main suitcase anyways, along with my whites dig master, for obvious reasons. Very compact for traveling though.

Oldest coin dug- 1927 wheatie.

I tried that first. My bag isn't tall enough for the lower rod. My next larger bag is huge.

BCD

you might look into bow case or compound bow case (hard sided).I bought a couple from walbarts for I think $20 ea. they worked perfect, I could put two detectors in each case easily. plus the cases were lockable.
jeff

you might look into bow case or compound bow case (hard sided).I bought a couple from walbarts for I think $20 ea. they worked perfect, I could put two detectors in each case easily. plus the cases were lockable.
jeff

Seen those! What a good idea.. even it's just to toss in the back of the car where the missus might throw something on top of my gear, at least it will be protected..

Cheers

I flew to Arizona in Feb and I took my gear with me. It almost all completely fit into my carry-on. AT Pro with 5x8 with some shirts to keep it tight. The only thing that didn't was my 27" blood red nemesis GD shovel. And I had to check that in my main suitcase anyways, along with my whites dig master, for obvious reasons. Very compact for traveling though.

Oldest coin dug- 1927 wheatie.

They didn't give you a problem with the shafts (since they're "club like")?

OP - The potential issue with a gun case is the depth. They're designed to hold something only a couple inches deep at the most.

great idea

take my detectors on trips and once my pro got crushed in the luggage...$300 repair bill. A hard case is a must for those on the go!. was thinking of an electric piano case lined with foam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wondering of anyone uses a gun case to cary your detector. I saw this for 50.00 and thought it might work. This would be for my Nox,

I just thought of something when I reread your post. Im pretty sure the lithium battery in the Equinox is a no-go for putting it in the hold if you're flying so you'll have to either take the control box off and hand carry it or leave it on and hand carry the upper assembly.
Might be a good idea to have a printed copy of the manual as well for those awkward questions at security

Last edited:
I'm not going anywhere that I need to pack a detector. When I first started detecting years ago I had a hard case for my detector. The more I hunted it became a pain to collapse it and replace it everytime I used it. Now I just place it in the trunk where it won't get banged around and it's ready when I get to where I am going to hunt. I have come to the conclusion that they are tougher than I thought.

I use a padded insulated bag.

I recently won a minelab bag from a England couple. It is very good and I can put ice packs in if the heat gets too hot. Very easy to carry and hold a lot. I use it for my back up and to carry accessory's and battery's and such. If I pack in, I put in my extra tall fisher camo back pack. If I flew I would get some hard cases for sure. Back packing in with triple digit temps has no place for a case. I carry a lot of water which I cache on the way in. By the time Im back to the car Im out of water. But keep a pack of water there too. Most folks here place it on the ground in the shade of the vehicle for those who may need water.

I just thought of something when I reread your post. Im pretty sure the lithium battery in the Equinox is a no-go for putting it in the hold if you're flying so you'll have to either take the control box off and hand carry it or leave it on and hand carry the upper assembly.
Might be a good idea to have a printed copy of the manual as well for those awkward questions at security

I would bring it on the plane not check it. I'm not letting those guys handle my detector.

BCD

Back
Top Bottom