Another Maiden Voyage Equinox Thread (UPDATED)

BlueDog

Elite Member
I've read every thread on several forums on the Equinox, and I've recently read some not too glowing reviews. I don't intend this to be argumentative response, but my experience differed greatly.

My long awaited Equinox 800 finally arrived and in the six months I've been waiting Ive been eagerly planning to take my new machine to my long played out honey hole. This spot is on the north edge of my property, it's along Main Street and at one time the house that was there held our town's telephone switchboard. The lot has been grass in all of my 40 years. This tiny sweet spot is only 5 or 6 feet wide and is 40ish feet long. Here is a pic, (honey hole shaded in green)

picture.php

This spot has been INCREDIBLY good to me, I've found tons of coins, Indian heads, Barber and Mercury dimes, some junk jewelry, even a couple of Canadian large cents (oldest being my profile pic). This is my 'go to' spot, its just across the alley from my house. When I need just to get out and hunt for a few minutes after work, this is where I go. I have hunted it dozens and dozens (and maybe dozens) of times. Slowly, the coins played out and the last coin I found there was over a year ago. But I still hunt it often.

I hunted it very hard with my old ATPro, with the stock coil, the small 5X8 and even the NEL Storm. Then I absolutely pounded it to death with my trusty ETrac, with my growing collection of coils. I hit it in standing water, powder dry in the heat of the summer, I used excruciating slow swing speeds, fast swings, super tight discrimination patterns, open screens, Two Tone Ferrous, high manual sensitivity, every Auto (even the negative options), gridded it north/south, east/west and every angle in between. Honestly, I really enjoyed trying to eke out just one more coin from there.

picture.php

Enter the Equinox. I did a manual ground balance (high 50's), did the obligatory noise cancel, set my mode to Park2, sensitivity at 23. I soon disc'd out everything except 12-13 and 19-35. The 50 tones were not unfamiliar coming from an ETrac. I have stated here and else where that if I found a single coin here in this little sliver of yard, I'd be impressed.

After just a few minutes I had a repeatable high tone, man did it sound good. As an ETrac user I am pretty reliant on those sweet Fe-Co numbers, but these were terrible. Numbers jumped from the low 20's up into the high 20's. I turned 90 degrees, still bad numbers, even some teens in there, but the sound was too good to pass up. I dug down not expecting much, lo' and behold a 1917 wheat penny with a rusty bit in the hole as well. I was still skeptical, maybe I just missed it. Soon another sweet high tone (still with those fluttering numbers). I'll save you the play by play, but all targets had iron in the same hole or in the side wall, except for the V nickel, and it had a pretty solid "13" number. The 1943 Washington had a 5 inch long rusty lag bolt in with it. Ok, I'll admit it, I was officially impressed at this point. At one point I caught myself saying aloud "incredible".

picture.php

Will the Equinox make every old spot new? No, of course not. I took it to the school house where I found my seated dime, I found no additional coins. Will it find stuff other detectors left behind, even the ETrac? Yes. I took it to another spot (also in my huge "yard") where I've found a few coins and I hunt pretty often, the Equinox found a 1897 Indian head, 1944 wheat, and a Missouri Tax Token.

So in closing, don't think people should judge this detector's ability in direct correlation to it's MSRP. I'm not sure how it does it, but clearly there are some magic algorithms at work here. It's not perfect, I wish it had the super stable SmartFind with the double number ID! But, I don't feel inadequate using it. I can't wait to keep learning the machine and rehunting all my spots.

Just my 2 cents, and forgive my long winded-ness.

I don't have a ton of hours on this machine yet, but all experience just solidifies my initial feelings posted above. I have yet to take this machine over any new ground, and all the finds below are from my old spots that I hunted with the ATPro, and the Etrac as explained above.

The Equinox's separation is far and away better for me in the trashy yards I hunt. The last hunt is in a yard that is absolutely loaded with those ring type pull tabs, I did eke out a few Indian heads there and a single Rosie back in the day, but with the Equinox, it was cutting through those trash targets and it truly was like hunting a new spot. I found my now oldest IHP (1874) and lots of other targets. In the picture below, I didn't show the clad, bullets, shell casings, etc.

picture.php

These are from the first half dozen hunts, over heavily hunted ground (by me and others). I don't think I'll use my Etrac nearly as much anymore. The Equinox is meshing well with me and my hunting style, and it continues to amaze me.

Last edited:
Great finds! Thanks for the report. I was skeptical until I saw it with my own eyes and ears as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Congrats on your nice finds! I hear what you are saying...I got my 800 yesterday, and did the same thing as you...hit a favorite spot. And it produced some very deep coins. Although clad, but never-the-less worthy finds.

Today, my second day with the 800, I went to another worked out area and came back with more goodies and a nice silver ring to add to the collection. It is an amazing machine for my type of hunting I do! And so much more I still need to learn about it too.

On a slightly unrelated note Bluedog I have a question. Do you mind giving a little background on that spot? Was it a high traffic area in town for some reason? For instance was there a park or post office there in the past? Or is it just a sidewalk in front of an old residence? The sidewalk and trees look very old that's for sure. I just love the history part of our hobby and gaining more insight on what types of areas and historical factors to look for when determining what may be a good spot to detect.

On a slightly unrelated note Bluedog I have a question. Do you mind giving a little background on that spot? Was it a high traffic area in town for some reason? For instance was there a park or post office there in the past? Or is it just a sidewalk in front of an old residence? The sidewalk and trees look very old that's for sure. I just love the history part of our hobby and gaining more insight on what types of areas and historical factors to look for when determining what may be a good spot to detect.

As I said in my post, that lot had a house on it that also held the town’s telephone switchboard. This “town” is mighty small nowadays, I think we are down to around 30 people or so. My big “yard” is made up of lots of small yards that once had houses on them. It’s been a fantastic experience hunting my hometown. Wouldn’t trade it for anything.

I don’t know what else could have went on here at this spot, maybe they just hung out there? There was a general store in the adjacent lot (it would be directly behind me as I took the picture with the shaded green area. The next block west held the bank, hotel, feed store, and another few houses. Directly across the street (my father’s place) I’ve found very few items, and no real older coins to speak of, but did find a couple 3 Merry Widows containers! Lol.

As I said in my post, that lot had a house on it that also held the town’s telephone switchboard. This “town” is mighty small nowadays, I think we are down to around 30 people or so. My big “yard” is made up of lots of small yards that once had houses on them. It’s been a fantastic experience hunting my hometown. Wouldn’t trade it for anything.

I don’t know what else could have went on here at this spot, maybe they just hung out there? There was a general store in the adjacent lot (it would be directly behind me as I took the picture with the shaded green area. The next block west held the bank, hotel, feed store, and another few houses. Directly across the street (my father’s place) I’ve found very few items, and no real older coins to speak of, but did find a couple 3 Merry Widows containers! Lol.
That is very cool. I have had some pretty good luck next to sidewalks that look just like that one. Just don't get too many opportunities like that. Thanks for sharing!

That is very cool. I have had some pretty good luck next to sidewalks that look just like that one. Just don't get too many opportunities like that. Thanks for sharing!

Just up that same sidewalk, about another 50 feet or so to the East, I found my first silver half, a Barber! I’ve walked that sidewalk my entire life, and it means a lot to find these things where I have so many memories already. I’ve been pretty darned lucky.

Just up that same sidewalk, about another 50 feet or so to the East, I found my first silver half, a Barber! I’ve walked that sidewalk my entire life, and it means a lot to find these things where I have so many memories already. I’ve been pretty darned lucky.
That is very cool! Makes the finds that much more special and memorable for sure. Hope you find many more and hope the Nox helps you do that. Happy hunting!

Thanks for posting that. Exactly what we have been seeing too. Think about this no matter how good the ETRACS or Ctx ID is if it cant see it , it sure cant ID it. I look forward to your reports..HH

I can see you now Blue Dog, hearing that tone and looking up at the sky saying, Really!!.
That was the first one.
And yes you still doubted, but you get another one, and again you look up at the sky and in awe and still questioning,, the coin is there alright.

A great start with your Nox.
I'll be following you to see what else comes to daylight you locate using your new detector.

I did the same thing as I stated above btw.

There are going to be tons of these stories when peeps finally get out with the NOX. I am pulling finds behind all my other machines in very heavily pounded spots. When the dust settles it will obsolete about everything out there, especially for the price! I keep taking my etrac and impact but i never use them when i have the nox battery charged!

There are going to be tons of these stories when peeps finally get out with the NOX. I am pulling finds behind all my other machines in very heavily pounded spots. When the dust settles it will obsolete about everything out there, especially for the price! I keep taking my etrac and impact but i never use them when i have the nox battery charged!

Folks can do this.
Tape a thin pack on real quick plug in and hunt away.
A Velcro experiment using is next.
Tape in hot weather will get messy.
Might look a little cheesy to some.
But this works for me.
A thin 6000mah pack.
Electrical taped to bottom of cuff.
anm2d.jpg

Used the pack today for 5 hours detecting.
Percentage left showing on pack 62%.

Still seeing grand performance out of Nox.
This thing kills buttons- smallest, smaller, medium and large.
Same for lead too.

I can see you now Blue Dog, hearing that tone and looking up at the sky saying, Really!!.
That was the first one.
And yes you still doubted, but you get another one, and again you look up at the sky and in awe and still questioning,, the coin is there alright.

A great start with your Nox.
I'll be following you to see what else comes to daylight you locate using your new detector.

I did the same thing as I stated above btw.

Lol, TNSS. I was hoping this machine would be good, but I had hunted this spot so hard I was very skeptical that it would find ANY additional coins. I was still skeptical until I got the Indian head. Maybe I’m just dense like that, but it was hard to believe. What sold me was the Washington quarter, that super high tone was SO good, and like I said I’ve been over that particular spot (exact spot) 50 times or more. The Equinox could see it, despite being masked by that large lag bolt. I do wish the ID was a bit more stable, but I can live with it if it allows me to renew my old spots. I think the small coil will further unlock those masked targets.

Back
Top Bottom