Summer is Almost at an End UPDATE

ScubaDetective

In Memory Of
Forum Supporter
It has been an ok summer this year. I had a lot of fun and peace playing in the water. The strange part is absolutely no police this year. Four times at Belle Isle they were out but left me completely alone.

I was supposed to go out this week but something happened that made me want to stay close to home.

A few days ago my neighbor died. He was 75 and a hoarder. You can't walk through his house, it is impossible. Well the vultures arrived because they knew he stashed a lot of money around and they started looking for it. They put a huge dumpster outside and wanted help filling it up. They would throw things out the front door and I would put it in the dumpster for them. They tossed out new tools, new colognes, new decks of cards and a lot of other brand new items, just looking for money. They told me anything they tossed in the dumpster I could have.

So yesterday I go scrounging with another neighbor and start filling up a box of things that I could keep or sell. I open one trash bag to find 6.00 in a plastic holder. A bit later in the same bag I come across two 20.00 bills. While playing in the dumpster I come across some bedding. I am tossing it in the back of the dumpster. I pick up a pillow case and it has something inside. Envelopes of money. I stuff them in my box and we finish searching for treasures. I take the box home and we decide to split the money I found.

Inside those envelopes was 9400.00 in cash. My half was 4700.00. Do I feel guilty? Not at all. If I wouldn't have saved it, the landfill or someone else would have got it. Since the grandson that is inheriting the home already has bought a newer truck for him and his mother, I know they are finding tons of cash.

They want me to help this week. I will gladly fill up the dumpster for them. But since they are just greedy and not caring about him (they tossed his high school diploma and many other papers) I will get paid and see what other treasures I can latch onto.

Here is my gold for the year. A tad bit over 213 grams.

Last edited:
It has been an ok summer this year. I had a lot of fun and peace playing in the water. The strange part is absolutely no police this year. Four times at Belle Isle they were out but left me completely alone.

I was supposed to go out this week but something happened that made me want to stay close to home.

A few days ago my neighbor died. He was 75 and a hoarder. You can't walk through his house, it is impossible. Well the vultures arrived because they knew he stashed a lot of money around and they started looking for it. They put a huge dumpster outside and wanted help filling it up. They would throw things out the front door and I would put it in the dumpster for them. They tossed out new tools, new colognes, new decks of cards and a lot of other brand new items, just looking for money. They told me anything they tossed in the dumpster I could have.

So yesterday I go scrounging with another neighbor and start filling up a box of things that I could keep or sell. I open one trash bag to find 6.00 in a plastic holder. A bit later in the same bag I come across two 20.00 bills. While playing in the dumpster I come across some bedding. I am tossing it in the back of the dumpster. I pick up a pillow case and it has something inside. Envelopes of money. I stuff them in my box and we finish searching for treasures. I take the box home and we decide to split the money I found.

Inside those envelopes was 9400.00 in cash. My half was 4700.00. Do I feel guilty? Not at all. If I wouldn't have saved it, the landfill or someone else would have got it. Since the grandson that is inheriting the home already has bought a newer truck for him and his mother, I know they are finding tons of cash.

They want me to help this week. I will gladly fill up the dumpster for them. But since they are just greedy and not caring about him (they tossed his high school diploma and many other papers) I will get paid and see what other treasures I can latch onto.

Here is my gold for the year. A tag bit over 213 grams.

Hope my kid don't turn out like these people..... turns my stomach to think of what would happen to all my relics!!!

holy cow, what idiots. Who knows what else you may have missed. $9400 in a pillow case????

Check the freezer for gold coins stashed inside frozen food boxes. No i'm not kidding. I would also check the undersides of any desks or dressers they may throw out.

Wish you the best of luck with the dumpster diving!
So sad that people care that little about others and are driven by greed.

Great take all around!
Too bad they are just trashing everything, sounds like they could do several months of garage sales with all that stuff.

Love it. What a payday! That's incredible dude. Sounds like next season is basically already paid for ;)

And dude, your gold haul is just amazing. I don't know how you do it!

Love the gold scuba and glad you could save the green from the dump. You deserve it for all you have done for others. :thumbsup:

Here is my gold for the year. A tag bit over 213 grams.

Awesome on both accounts. The cash is a wicked cool bonus, eh? Probably Karma for helping out your daughter. :)

It has been an ok summer this year. ...
A few days ago my neighbor died. He was 75 and a hoarder...

Definately an awesome year and plundering the spoils pile is probably even more fun!

I agree you should keep what you find, after all, they pitched it and YES, it would have been in a landfill. I wouldn't get to wrapped up about sentimentals though. I've gone through this with several family members and found even the most unattached people still take a keepsake that gives them a fond memory. The rest of the memorabilia, well, they have lives of their own. The only way to prevent becoming a hoarder themselves is to make choice decisions on what to keep and what to let go. It's a difficult process.

My grandparents were apartment managers in Detroit and we'd clean out apts after someone passed away or were incarcerated. ... As far as suggestions for finding hiding spots, here's my list of scores:
  • Hidden in tupperware and coffee mugs in the cupboard
  • Taped to cookie sheets
  • Inside the freezer
  • Taped under tables
  • Taped to the underside of drawers
  • Inside suit jacket pockets
  • Inside socks
  • Inside tool boxes
  • In the attic, crawl space, or plumbing access (wall behind a shower or tub)
  • Behind vent covers
  • Inside cassette and VHS tape boxes
  • Inside shoes
  • Inside lamps (look under, many are hollow)
  • Inside pocket size containers (cigarettes, pill containers, Bibles)
Other Ideas:
  • Consider taking linens and asking the local animal shelters if they need them. I used to donate car loads of those. Plus you'll get a tax credit.
  • Look for log books, shipping records, manifests, etc. A few months ago I met a guy that buys those from estate sales and makes a few grand a year selling them back to local / private museums.

A beautiful pile of gold this year Scuba. I'm also glad you got the money and goods from your neighbor. My grand parents used to hide money inside the pages of books. After it's been there a while you have to flip the pages over abd over again to get it to come out. Best to you buddy.

congrats on the finds from being a good neighbor. As to the fellows kids, screw them. Kids are either great or not as you noted in the story. This is why I'm spending all my kids inheritance before I kick off.

Loving the gold and the stories for "dumpster diving" find. You did the right thing by keeping the money. Clearly the "family" of the deceased neighbor did not care enough during his life so their thrash is your treasure.

Good on you, I'd keep helping them too! Nothing to feel guilty over, they did say you could have whatever was in there... :yes:

We had a hoarder in the family years ago, found over 64K in cash, stuffed in a shoebox beside the washing machine of all places, and we found a box of silver coins beneath a dresser that had never apparently been moved when we bought our house last winter. You never know what people will tuck away and where!

Small update.

Yesterday morning found another 235.00 in cash in shirts that were tossed out. Last night found another 1150.00 in envelopes inside brochures and another 120.00 rolled up in a pill bottle. One envelope had 900.00 inside.

This is more fun than diving for gold. Kind of.

Sad how they are going about tossing everything and only looking for money. However they really don't care.

Back
Top Bottom