I got shown up by a newbie today using my Compadre!

Waveoff

Elite Member
My girlfriend just started detecting with me recently using my Compadre. Today, we had a chance to detect some of the yard at her grandparents' old farmhouse that her cousin now owns. The place dates to at least 1900 but may be older. We spent about 2 1/2 hours digging up typical farmhouse trash. I finally started finding some coins in the side yard. Nothing earth shattering...a couple of wheats (1940, 1956) and a couple of pieces of modern clad. Then I hit a large coin sounding target. It turned out to be an old Calvin Coolidge presidential token. Doing a quick Google search I could only find one reference to it on Numista. So if anyone has any extra info on this token I would appreciate it!

My girlfriend had thrown in the towel because she was tired of digging junk. I told her to come detect where I was because I had found some coins and that cool token. She decided to give it another go. After only finding one modern dime in the yard, she decided to move along the chain link fence where I had just detected with my Vaquero. She called me over because she said she was hitting a nice target and wanted me to verify it for her. It sounded better on the Compadre because the fence wasn't interfering with the coil like it was with my coil. Regardless, it still sounded good on the Vaquero. I stuck my shovel into the ground and this spot was the hardest spot in the whole yard! I started telling myself that this would be the last target we dig before calling it a day and it figures she would hit a sweet sounding target in a hard spot to dig in. I dug about 8" down and could hear my TRX going crazy but couldn't see anything down there. I dug in a little deeper and popped out a chunk of dirt and something silvery came popping out. She was like, " What's THAT?!" I grabbed it and here it was a freaking 1938 Walker! Her first silver coin and she bags herself a Walker! I was shaking with excitement for her and she was actually tearing up a bit because she found something so cool. We called it a day after she found that but we will definitely be going back again soon!

RFp4cdp.jpg

DPN9Jpu.jpg

nWrKd8Y.jpg

Nice finds there!
That's kinda like when I've let my little sister borrow my fishing rod :dash2:
I don't like lending or sharing my toys....:dash2:

Great day congrats to you both!

Thank you!

Awesome finds! That Walker is sweet! The token is pretty cool too!

Thanks! Hopefully there's more to be found!

Nice finds there!
That's kinda like when I've let my little sister borrow my fishing rod :dash2:
I don't like lending or sharing my toys....:dash2:

I hear ya! The last time I let my buddy use my Compadre he found a silver Rosie, a war nickel, part of a sterling spoon and a plated 1939 World's Fair Spoon! All in his small yard that I had previously hit with my Compadre and Vaquero.:gaah:

Walking Liberty halves are some of the most beautiful US coinage. What a great first find. Very cool!

Thanks! I agree. It's definitely my favorite obverse design. Now if only I could find more rings like you...:lol:

Awesome coins! Can't imagine unearthing a Walker! Congrats to you both!

Thank you! Seeing a shiny chunk of silver coming out of the ground is definitely a rush!

Congrats on the Walker! Look for a "D" mintmark on the back, if so then you have a key date!

That's the first think I looked for when I saw it was a '38.:lol: It's just a "P" but still a satisfying find.:)

Nice finds indeed!! Way to go!

Thank you!

Never underestimate the power of the Compadre :cool:

Have you joined the Church?
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=87892&highlight=church+compadre

Congrats on the Walker!

I sure have! I joined as soon as I got it.:lol: I've also been reading your posts about modding the Compadre. I've been looking for a cheap used one to do the swappable coil mod and then maybe the ground balance and sensitivity mod. Since they don't make 4-pin sweeper coils anymore, I figured a Compadre that's modded to accept 5-pin coils, and fitted with a sweeper coil, would make for a deadly combo.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom