Down and dirty Specific Gravity

fdutra

Here you go Kapidr,

I've tried to keep this simple and while it may well horrify those of the scientific community, it will work just fine for us mere earthy types that just want to know what type and/or karat metal that recently rescued jewelry is made of. If you own a gram scale that can handle 50 grams and will read at least one decimal place (.1 g), you have everything you need to get going. While an acid test will do a lot of what we need, Specific Gravity (SG) can be used to identify just about any elemental metal and reveal gold filled or plated jewelry, as well as other imposters. If the word "Math" doesn't make you swoon, you can also determine weights and types of mounted gemstones (1+ carat) and two part alloys where one metal is known.

Ingredients:

SG_1.jpg

One digital scale
One small plastic cup (cut down plastic spice jar)
Water (tap is fine)
Dental floss, or just plain old thread
Ring or other jewelry item
Pen and paper or calculator

Step 1

SG_2.jpg

Turn on scale and weigh ring, recording wt on paper or calculator.

Step 2

SG_3.jpg

Fill cup with enough water to cover ring vertically, place on scale and tare.
(record weight if your scale doesn't have the tare option)

Step 3

SG_4.jpg

Dangle ring from string lowering into cup until the ring is completely submerged, being careful not to hit the sides or bottom of the cup or splash water around, record weight of ring in water. This is the hardest part,,, your almost done!

Step 4

Divide the weight of the ring (step 1) by the weight of the ring in water (Step 3), the answer is your experimentally derived Specific Gravity for that ring. Thats all she wrote, your now a fledgling scientist with your very own data set and unique specific gravity value. All thats left is to compare your numbers with ones on the internet for your suspected (hopeful?) metal. You should be able to at least get within shouting distance (+ or minus 1) with a one decimal place scale and some care in step 3. A two decimal place scale usually gets me a little closer to the given values (+ or minus .5), spend a fortune on 5 decimal place scales and weighing devices and your still only going to be out to 2 decimal point accuracy. If you test a ring and it comes in at 10 its roughly 90% silver, could be sterling. If it's 10.3 it's definitely 925 sterling silver, What about 10.36 ? Still 925 sterling silver. The silvery ring (marked 14 k) in step 2 and 3 came in at 12.56 (2 decimal place scale), the listed value for 14 k white gold is 12.61,,, nailed it out to 2 places.

http://www.hauserandmiller.com/reference/melting.html

SG_5.jpg

Thanks for looking and feel free to ask questions. There's a lot more you can do with SG and ways to be a little more accurate, but this should get you going. For fun I did up a dozen different rings in about a half hour. If anyones interested I can post them up to show how amazingly accurate and useful this method is in real life, but to supper I must go,,, took me about a half day just to get the pictures posted in the right orientation! Still blowing a gale and maybe I won't be able to go scalloping again tomorrow, but I just might be able to get out to some newly eroded beaches on the lee side and shovel my thesis!

Happy Hunting All!

Last edited:
This is awesome! Thank you for sharing! I'm going to try this after Valentines day when Larry is here. Should be fun!

mass

i believe this is telling you the mass, not the specific gravity!?! i thought specific gravity was how much substance was dissolved in pure water!?!

I'm no expert but the way I understand SG, is that it actually represents the ratio of the density of a given material to the density of pure water which is why it is a dimensionless quantity. You could use something other than the density of water (1 gram per ml) or different mass dimension, but things would get real ugly converting back and forth. I think of it like the SG of silver is 10.36, or silver is 10.36 times heavier than that of an equal volume of water. The same volume of platinum(SG=22) would be 22 times heavier than water or roughly twice as dense as silver which is why you can tell a platinum ring just by the heft of it in your hand. We are not dissolving anything in water as you would be if you were making beer, the weight of the ring in water (step 4 above) is actually the weight of the water displaced by the volume of the ring. Mass and density are two completely different things. I don't have my head completely wrapped around the physics of the whole thing but I don't need to in order to find SG determinations very useful, accurate, and easy.

Great info, thank you. I'll try it .
On the chart it has green gold listed, what is that mixed with?

"Green gold: Unless one is familiar with the appearance of green gold, the term can be quite misleading. The green color, like rose gold, is very subtle. Green gold is best described as yellow gold with a slightly greenish hint (not a definite green like this background). Green gold is most noticeable when it is used in a piece of jewelry next to areas of yellow, white, and pink gold. The classic mixture that produces green gold is an alloy of pure yellow gold and pure silver -- though, for rings, harder metals such as nickel or zinc are sometimes added to make the gold more durable. 14K green gold would contain fourteen parts yellow gold and ten parts silver. 18K green gold would contain eighteen parts yellow gold and six parts silver.

Whitfield Jack"

Great info, thanks. Have a question. In the first pic you showed what we would need and the ring has a stone in it and the actual ring you use looks like a crest or signet signet ring. How would the stone have effected the outcome of finding the SG? Thanks for your time!

Itsaring and I tried this this morning and we kept coming up with .99. Then we rechecked your notes and it says divide step 2 by step 3 but actually I think you meant divide step 1 by step 3. :) Once we divided step 1 by step 3 the numbers came out right. VERY COOL!

You said you could tell the karat weight with more math. Could you also tell if a stone is a true Tsavorite with this method. I believe I have a ring with a 2.96 karat Tsavorite and if I'm correct that could make it a 10,000 to 15,000 dollar stone as Tsavorite is rare over 2 karats.

Would you share how to tell total Karat weight of diamonds in a ring as well as if it's possible to determine if a gemstone is real?

Thanks!

I am really confused. When you hold the ring with the thread in the water, you are not weighing the ring. That seems like it would be impossible since the weight is held by your hand.

All it seems you are doing is weighing the water displacement of the ring. So if you have a silver ring and a gold ring EXACTLY the same size, wouldn't they give the exact same reading on the scale?

I am no scientist at all but I have actually been puzzled over this since reading it last night.

If you have a square inch of gold and a square inch of silver wouldn't they displace the exact same amount of water and give the same reading? The weight is all held by the thread you are holding it seems.

PLEASE ACCEPT MY CONFUSION!!!

I am really confused. When you hold the ring with the thread in the water, you are not weighing the ring. That seems like it would be impossible since the weight is held by your hand.

That confused me for a while too! Your absolutely right about not weighing the ring but actually weighing the water that is displaced by the volume of the ring.

All it seems you are doing is weighing the water displacement of the ring. So if you have a silver ring and a gold ring EXACTLY the same size, wouldn't they give the exact same reading on the scale?

Yes! but,,, The weight of the ring holds the key within it! When you divide it by the weight of the water displaced you are actually calculating it's density in relation (the ratio) to the density of water. Two identical rings (volumes) of different metals will have the same wt of ring in water, but different weight of ring, dividing the two gives two different SG, or densities.

I am no scientist at all but I have actually been puzzled over this since reading it last night.

If you have a square inch of gold and a square inch of silver wouldn't they displace the exact same amount of water and give the same reading? The weight is all held by the thread you are holding it seems.

PLEASE ACCEPT MY CONFUSION!!!
Confusion accepted and reflected at times! It's a little hard wrapping your head around it.

Great info, thanks. Have a question. In the first pic you showed what we would need and the ring has a stone in it and the actual ring you use looks like a crest or signet signet ring. How would the stone have effected the outcome of finding the SG? Thanks for your time!

Very perceptive, that's exactly why I changed the ring in the following pictures.

A stone in a ring will usually lower the SG in relation to the same ring without a stone, which would be the SG of the pure metal. All gemstones have a SG lower than most metals. Diamond is around 3.52. For the ring in the first picture marked 950 PLAT, the SG should be around 21.5 without a stone. The value I came up with is 16.45. I was able to use that information along with the formulas given on the Hauser & Miller list, to tentatively eliminate the possibility that the stone was Moissanite SG= 3.22. I later verified my results when testing with a moissanite tester. After adding in a little algebra to the Hauser formula, I was able to estimate the carat weight of the diamond, which later agreed closely with a Jodi diamond gauge. That's what got me started down this perilous SG path!

Back
Top Bottom