Boats and Knives of the Philippines

dirtykneese

Forum Supporter
I heard that Mud-puppy likes boats and can make knifes, We have boats in the Philippines caled Banka boats. Almost like an over sized canoe with side arme to keep them from turning over.
The knifes here are called BOLO knifes. Most all of the are hand made from the leafsprings off your vehical. I just don't have a good picture of one of the knifes. The ones you see me and my brother-in-law wearing were given to us as a gift from an old man in a little village.
Just some more Philippine pictures. Hope you enjoy...

The one boat is my wife and some kids in a tiny banka boat. They are taking her for a ride..
KEN

Attachments

• Cora, Nida, Ed, Ken 2003 (22).jpg
    Cora, Nida, Ed, Ken 2003 (22).jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 562
  • Cora, Nida, ED, Ken Dec. 2003 (28).jpg
    Cora, Nida, ED, Ken Dec. 2003 (28).jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 392
  • CALOCO 2015 (15).JPG
    CALOCO 2015 (15).JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 393
  • CALOCO 2015 (227).JPG
    CALOCO 2015 (227).JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 452
I am VERY interested in those Boats! Look at that little propeller and rudder assembly there...They must have some sort of small gasoline inboard like a 5hp horizontal shaft motor? I wonder how they do the transfer of power from the motor to the prop? straight with a spider coupling, or some sort of belt slip pulley system so they can start the motor with no prop drag?? Those props are pretty shallow pitch, so it might be straight rigged...

Yeah...now I will be thinking!...built right there on the beach out of what is at hand! GREAT pics Ken! Thank you! Theres gotta be some old guys there that specialize in building those boats...You might be able to find them by asking around and get to see some work done..
Mud

Pictures

Always enjoy the pictures from over there Ken , waking up to snow on the ground, tempatures below freezing, reports of car accidents due to the snow. Pictures from the Tropices are a welcome relief from what a lot of us are getting here right now. Looking forward to getting back over there at the end of May for 3 weeks of down time.

So after seeing the 15 foot walls with jagged glass and the swords you guys have to carry, I think I'd sooner take my chances in downtown Chicago LOL.

cool boats though, thanks for sharing!

Cool pictures Ken. Thanks for the culture lesson.....:yes: (That looks like a scary boat ride. Hope your wife knows how to swim.)

Bolo

Many of the men wear them all the time. It is a part of their life stile here. The bolo is their main tool. They even chop down trees with them... KEN

The Bolo is used by every one over there even kids. I saw a young kid over there draging a big snake home that he killed with one. My wife killed a cobera with one when she was around 12 it was in their bathroom which was outside. Now to be fair the snake had a rat in its mouth at the time she killed it. They make the bolos out of the leafspring from old cars so they have some weight to them and are sharp. After using them for over 25 years i prefer them to a axe or hatchet. They are great for taking down a small tree or chopping up branches.

Thanks for looking everyone. I found another picture I think you might like. We see this a lot. After a while you don't think a thing about the crazy things you see over here... KEN

Attachments

• 096_96.jpg
    096_96.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 297
picture of cart being pulled

Thanks for looking everyone. I found another picture I think you might like. We see this a lot. After a while you don't think a thing about the crazy things you see over here... KEN

The funny thing about that picture is that you could have taken exactly the same picture 100 years ago. The Philippines is a wonderful mix of the new and old side by side.:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom