Nice old token...

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
This is cool.
A Wyatt Johnson $1.00 off of a $20.00 cash purchase token.
It's huge and aluminum and I can't find any other like it on any token sites or anywhere else on the web so who knows...it might be a rare one.

Wyatt Johnson is a large automobile dealership group now, I suspect they have been around selling tires, auto parts and who knows what else since the early 1900's.

The Gates Corporation is one of the largest privately held companies in the U.S. with sales of about 1.5 billion...It is the world's largest non-tire rubber company...now.
It had a rocky start but the owner was smart so it grew big.
Interesting history here...
http://www.referenceforbusiness.com/history2/40/The-Gates-Corporation.html

See the words "half sole" in the middle of the words Gates Tires and Tubes?
This was a rubber and fabric cover they invented in 1914 that could be cemented on a worn tire and extend its life...the first retreads.
Through WW1 the govt. still allowed him to by and use rubber because his half sole was classified a priority product because it preserved rubber.
By the end of the war the price of rubber dropped from $1.25 lb to fifteen cents a pound so it immediately rendered this product obsolete and he went full on into making regular tires instead and eventually way more rubber based products.

Because of this history I gotta believe this token is from between 1914 and 1918 or not too much longer after that.

I am going to call this a great and way cool find.

Attachments

• user10659_pic72946_1478463704_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    user10659_pic72946_1478463704_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 271
  • user10659_pic72945_1478463704_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    user10659_pic72945_1478463704_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 249
  • user10659_pic72947_1478463704_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    user10659_pic72947_1478463704_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 251
  • th (2).jpg
    th (2).jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 247
Well, I just got a trade offer for this thing from a collector in Ga.that I believe specializes in "Good For" tokens.
He saw the pics, he knows the condition.
He is offering me a Fine-V Fine Morgan from 1904 back.
If we agree he sends me the coin along with an addressed and stamped mailer that I put my token into and then just give to the mailman.
Can't get any safer or easier than that.

Don't have a clue on the actual worth of mine but I assume probably not as much as just the silver content of that dollar.
Aluminum for silver, probably be dumb not to.

It would be almost like I dug up another silver dollar.
The thrill and excitement is not quite the same but the end result would be...I get a big ol' chunk of silver for my collection.

Love this hobby.

Well, I just got a trade offer for this thing from a collector in Ga.that I believe specializes in "Good For" tokens.
If we agree he sends me the coin along with an addressed and stamped mailer that I put my token into and then just give to the mailman.

Don't have a clue on the actual worth of mine but I assume probably not as much as just the silver content of that dollar.

The thrill and excitement is not quite the same but the end result would be...I get a big ol' chunk of silver for my collection.

Love this hobby.

I love that deal! Now I need to score some of them tokens too!

WOW!!! Ultra Cool,, working in a restoration shop half my adult life, I have used a ton of Gates parts, lots of belts, N.O.S rubber boots even old clutch pedal rubber. Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed seeing it Congrats!!

WOW!!! Ultra Cool,, working in a restoration shop half my adult life, I have used a ton of Gates parts, lots of belts, N.O.S rubber boots even old clutch pedal rubber. Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed seeing it Congrats!!

Love looking up the history of my finds, a great part of the hobby.
If it is made out of rubber, not just car parts but door mats and most everything else, this company might have made it.

It started out weird...in 1911 Gates bought a mail order company in Colorado for $3500 that made leather tire covers but was way more in debt then the scam artist that sold it to him said it was.
He kept going though, through intensive mail order campaigns in the east after 18 months he eventually worked through that and made a $200 profit.
He had to target bigger cities because at the time there were only 5000 cars in the entire state of Colorado.
He got an idea to use some of the left over leather pieces to make leather halters for horses and got Buffalo Bill Cody to endorse them and that made him the biggest supplier in the west.
In 1914 they came up with this half sole rubber tire cover and that really put him on the map.
From that beginning they became what they are today, the biggest in the world at what they do.

Love this hobby.

be careful, there are still many counterfeit silver dollars. Do your due diligence before sending out your token

http://coinauctionshelp.com/Identify_Fake_Morgan_Dollars_Trade_Dollars.html#.WCONQ3qDsUY

be careful, there are still many counterfeit silver dollars. Do your due diligence before sending out your token

http://coinauctionshelp.com/Identify_Fake_Morgan_Dollars_Trade_Dollars.html#.WCONQ3qDsUY

Magnet and scale ready and at hand.
I have a piece of tissue paper around here also.

I checked the guy out, he has his name, phone number and email posted on several MD related things all over the net, plus he is a friend of a hunter on another site that sent the info to him about the token in the first place.

I think he just wants my token because he doesn't have one.

It is not listed in the definitive Alabama token guide by Roy Wood so a little rare I would think.

Back
Top Bottom