My Heaviest Gold Find Ever!

Compass

Forum Supporter
Drove 2 hours south to hunt a beach I used to go to when my son was going to college in the San Diego area. I knew I might be on to something when no fewer than 7 other hunters showed up. :shock: All the hunters were very cordial and sociable including Romy from this forum who also made the road trip. :yes:
I had to switch from the Dual Field to the Excal because of the iron and the fact that digging in the exposed rocks was pretty brutal and I wanted to only dig when I got decent signals. As the tide went out I started to find a few wheat pennies and even a mercury dime and a silver ring.
I decided to try a flat area away from the rocks which wound up being a layer of sand on top of soft clay. By this time I was detecting in about a foot of water. Immediately, I got a strange but solid low tone on the Excal. I haven't used it enough to recognize all the different sounds but it was lower than those from nickels but didn't sound like a bottle cap. After a quick scoop and a rinse I couldn't believe what I was looking at. Pressed into the sides of a football sized clump of clay was a thick yellow gold chain.
A gold chain has been on my bucket list for some time now but this one certainly looked worth the wait. I found one end and slowly pulled the chain away from the clay. I could feel the weight of the chain grow as one link after another became liberated and two feet of chain later she was free.
Later in the hunt I added a little 1.5 gram signet ring and called it a day.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I know that chains are often heavier than they appear to be and I was hoping that this would be the case. I was thinking maybe about 20 grams but was blown away with the 31.2 gram total of 14K! The clasp seems fine and no links are damaged. I'm wondering if someone put it in their pocket for safe keeping? :?:
I've often thought that it would be nice to find a gold chain that I would like enough to wear and this is it...
picture.php

...and it fits!
Thanks for looking and happy hunting everyone!

Awesome anchor chain!

Big congrats, maybe it slipped over their head?

<°)))>{

Great play by play. Great pix. I love the description of the gold in the clump in your basket ! :eat3:

Yeah really! Congratulations on that stunner! The guy might of whipped off his shirt and that thing went with it...Sweet!
Mud

Who cares how they lost it George :D Are you going to wear it? Did the tone sound like a small piece of foil? Our detectors do not see the chain.. it see's only the clasp or 1 link at a time... usually gold chains sound junky... congrats on it.

Way to go! Yeah that 30.1 I found bouncing it in my hand scale I guessed 18.5:laughing: You may not notice it where you are? But after seeing the guys showing off for the girls yesterday doing handstands you got an idea of some lost ones. There was 7 guys walking on their hands yesterday where I went and three were wearing gold chains:shock::lol:

:dingding:Congrats and I'm so happy for you that it fits! And if you try on the signet ring you'll see that it fits too!!! ;)

Hey Larry, Karen, Jim and Dick let's get plane tickets out there! :) Nice finds, wish I was not 3000 miles away! FABULOUS CHAIN!!!

Wow! One nice chain can be a game changer for sure!! VN!

Back
Top Bottom