headphones a big deal?

hammer3031

I'm still a noob so I was just wondering if good headphones really matter? I just use the ones that came with the AT Pro is it worth it to go buy a more expensive pair? any tips on headphone choices?

With an ATP yes. It's necessary for those deeper hits. Your batteries will last much longer too.

Machine speaker doesn't performe near as well as a nice pair of phones.

I'm still a noob so I was just wondering if good headphones really matter? I just use the ones that came with the AT Pro is it worth it to go buy a more expensive pair? any tips on headphone choices?

While I may not be the worlds most picky. Audio speakers etc in a little more choosy. I have to say the stock land ones are pretty darned impressive.
I'd say swing with it and them for a while and see how it works out.

Running without any though is shockingly loud lol...

I even bought a extra pair of the ones which come with the pro.

The big difference in higher end models such as Gray Ghost are comfort and durability. I use to use cheaper $30 dollar types such as Calrad, the padding was terrible, they hurt my ears, and I would go through about 2 pair a season, sometimes more if I was hunting woods. With higher end models you get a lifetime warranty on most, they sound better, they fit better, and they will last forever. Will you find more? Probably not. You might get that rare deep hit that the higher end audio will let you hear better, but it's more about buying 1 pair of high end vs. buying low end pairs every few months when they wear out. You could always use the pair you have now until they wear out or break and then go with a higher end model. You will notice a big difference in comfort right away when you upgrade.

Cut my headphone cord and wired in an 1/8 jack. Now I can use any ear "buds" and they are great. No more gigantic headphones :D. PS I also wired in volume control.

Yeah, what most everyone else said. I just ordered my first set this week. Some DetectorPro Rattlers (these only cover one ear). I'm a little paranoid about having the whole world blocked out and my attention else where too. I think they're going to be great though.

For comfort I have the Gray Ghost - Garrett's head phones are confortable to but when I started having hearing loss I go with the Gray Ghost and can hear the faint sounds better and when worn right keeps all of the back ground noise out.

Texas ED
S/E Texas Gulf Coast

Hammer, I see you are asking not about the validity of USING headphones, but are the premium headphones worth the cost... My opinion is they are absolutely worth it. I have an ATP and recently upgraded to a set of Killer B's, night and day difference. The audio is better, but comfort/fit wise, way better. The stock Garretts were continually slipping off as I bent over. Not these, I'm very happy with them, and it's been one of my better purchases.

Hope this helps!

Everyone has different preferences. I like the stock Garrett headphones just fine. I thought they were comfortable and stayed on my head well. I bought some Grey Ghost Amphibs so I wouldn't have to worry about soaking the Garretts. For me the GGAs sound different and fit much tighter...almost uncomfortably so, but they certainly are not going to fall off in the water.
Each set has pros and cons, but I'm happy with both. The GGAs stay on most of the time due to the difficulty in changing the connector fitting.

Wearing headphones staring at the ground, congratulations you just turned yourself in to a highly potential victim. Situational awareness, stay cognizant of your surroundings at all times.
With the ATP you can hear everything you’ll ever need know to distinguish targets. Keep in mind that nothing you’ll ever find is worth jeopardizing your safety.

This is primarily an audio based Sport...heck a guy can easily do it blind, and some guys figured out a way to do it deaf even...but the targets accuracy is transcribed into an 'audio signal primary' and a 'visual signal secondary' if you have the TID feature on your rig..

We all have various levels of hearing degradation, as well as head size.

Being a cheap old guy, I hunted for years using junker phones, did ok, but I am really enjoying the crispness and comfort of a quality set of cans...I got a big old head, larger than normal, had to wear a 5 gal bucket for a batting helmet when I was in Little League 40 yrs ago even, like a Pez dispenser or Mr Potato Head if you will....bad ears too...So I recently sprung for a set of GG NDT's...independent dual volume control...I really enjoy them, and it makes detecting less frustrating and and overall better experience....I hunt by tones though...rarely ever look at the TID except for strange tones I've never heard before..

I hunt heads up, using my eyes for approaching danger or finds, and ears for dirt targets...so yeah, for me Phones are a Big Deal!
Mud.

I've been trying to drown the stock headphones for 3.5 seasons now and they are still working for the most part...

I'm going to be looking for another set of stock phones soon enough though..

I don't like most waterproof sets due to the piezo buzzer not having as good of sound as normal speakers..

<°)))>{

I supposed if you only hunted in remote locations with no people, wind, or vehicle noise, you wouldn't need any headphones at all. For me and my hunting, I must have headphones, Hunting yards, parks, and curb strips, there are many times that I can't even hear with the headphones and I have to stop and wait for the particular vehicle to pass by. I couldn't imagine how much stop-time I would have if I didn't have headphones on.

Call me crazy, but unless I'm in an area where it's very noisy, an area where I think I'll bother people, or an area where I know my targets are very deep, I don't use them. I probably miss the soft deep signals that way, but to each his own.
*shrug*
Peace out!

Though I can see some situations and detectors where using headphones is a great benefit, I prefer to not wear headphones. If people are around I always wear them. If it's really loud I wear them. If it is cold and windy I might wear Gray Ghost's to keep my ears warm. If hunting with a Tesoro or any detector with an actual speaker I might wear the Killer B Stinger to preserve battery. With the Deus little digital sounding speaker I have noticed no greater battery loss from not wearing headphones. Sometimes the Deus behind the neck headphones interfere with sunglasses and ears get sore. When I take them off and hunt with speaker I don't notice much difference in signal strength and feel confident I haven't missed much. So I really don't use headphones much these days in the hopes of hitting targets I would have otherwise missed.

thanks for the input everyone and yeah I was asking if a new set of quality headphones are worth it I wouldn't go without headphones

thanks for the input everyone and yeah I was asking if a new set of quality headphones are worth it I wouldn't go without headphones

That's a tough question really... Beware an increase in price might not always translate to better sound.. A glaring example would be waterproof headphones, for land hunting they sound like total junk..

Also, and I'm sure someone will argue with this but.. The best sounding phones out there made for a detector are are not going to sound any better than most middle of the road audio headphones made for modern music.. The sound output from any detector is inherently simple compaired to the high and low frequencies found in most music today...

For land headphones I would look for features that are practical, comfort, outside noise blocking, and volume control preferably independent for each side..

The best thing about headphones and this feature comes with all of them.... You can simply ignore stupid people and their questions, just point to your headphones and shake your head NO...

<°)))>{

Noise pollution in urban and even suburban areas can be really bad, no sense adding to it or trying to compete with it. Good headphones that seal out noise can be crucial for success in some environments, IMO. If situational awareness is critical in your area of operations, then perhaps a hunting buddy or watchdog/guarddog would be appropriate. I would go the single earphone option only if hunting in an area where SA is critical and a buddy or dog were not available.

Back
Top Bottom