AT PRO Owners don't do what I did !!! ( Broke my detector )

Garbagepicker

Just a warning to others. I had my upper cam lock become frozen in place for some reason. Attempting to unlock the cam lock and not thinking I used my control box as a point of leverage with the palm of my hand. I was really cranking on the cam when I broke the control box off the handle. I was immediately disgusted and pissed off with myself. I called Garrett today admitting my stupidity and it's going in for a new control box housing which they described as an easy repair. When a cam lock freezes up it can be very frustrating and my frustration and determination to unlock that cam lock got the best of me. Yes, the cam lock unlocked when I broke the control box off the handle go figure. So keep a cool head if you have a cam lock freeze up and don't do what I did

I had a cam lock freeze up on my AT Pro after one beach hunt. At the time I thought it was a major weakness of the AT Pro. I sold that detector. I'm not sure if Garrett ever did a design change or not. If they did not I would cut the cam off and install one of plugger's shaft locks.

Can't remember, but I think Garrett did make a change to the cam locks after the first run of machines. I haven't had the problem, but, if I do I will remember not to push on the housing.

Just a warning to others. I had my upper cam lock become frozen in place for some reason. Attempting to unlock the cam lock and not thinking I used my control box as a point of leverage with the palm of my hand. I was really cranking on the cam when I broke the control box off the handle. I was immediately disgusted and pissed off with myself. I called Garrett today admitting my stupidity and it's going in for a new control box housing which they described as an easy repair. When a cam lock freezes up it can be very frustrating and my frustration and determination to unlock that cam lock got the best of me. Yes, the cam lock unlocked when I broke the control box off the handle go figure. So keep a cool head if you have a cam lock freeze up and don't do what I did

What every detectorist should have in their tool arsenal is a pair of rubber strap pipe wrenches such as these. http://www.harborfreight.com/2-pc-rubber-strap-wrench-set-69373.html

Cheap investment but it can't be beat. Specially if you've ever had the cam locks in a beach detector freeze on you because of sand or corrosion.

I had a cam lock freeze up on my AT Pro after one beach hunt. At the time I thought it was a major weakness of the AT Pro. I sold that detector. I'm not sure if Garrett ever did a design change or not. If they did not I would cut the cam off and install one of plugger's shaft locks.

Would you be able to to direct me to someone I could purchase that style of cam lock from ? These twist tighten cam locks are more trouble then they are worth. I'm suspecting it may have been sand as the area I was in has a very sandy soil.

Hob-e-Lube works wonders on those parts. Make sure you lube them before they get stuck. It's just dry graphite you purchase at any store.

Just a warning to others. I had my upper cam lock become frozen in place for some reason. Attempting to unlock the cam lock and not thinking I used my control box as a point of leverage with the palm of my hand. I was really cranking on the cam when I broke the control box off the handle.....

Last year my hunting buddy had his machine break in that same place. :shock:

The control box mounting is still a weak spot.

I just try to be careful when handling my machine.

Just be aware, you AT Pro users. :shock:

Back
Top Bottom