Epic golf course day! 2nd gold in 2 weeks

Swing360

curbstrip nut
Forum Supporter
Man... Digging was the last thing on my mind today. Jedediah wanted to go since he didn't work tomorrow, so I said why the heck not.

Man, I couldn't miss, let me tell you. I got a 43 P war nickel piggybacking a 1937 Buffalo, piggybacking a 1942 regular clad nickel.

I then managed a BEAUTIFUL (like XF) 1916 S Merc on live dig and was really hoping for the D, but alas it wasn't to be today, but that's ok.

By this time it was running right around 8:30 and the girls showed up with some food for us which was cool. We watched the sun set for a bit over the course as we all are and the girls took off to go to the store.

We made our way to hole 3 and I said to Jedediah "I feel like we are going to get into it" and not 20 minutes later I did!

5gram 14k ring with an Amber stone with what looks like a bug or something small in the Amber. If it is a bug it will be my oldest find I will probably ever come across!

Nice. You are killing the gold. That is one great spot. The CTX is a killer too. What did the gold ring up at?

Looking forward to more of these posts from the golf course! Congrats on the gold and silver! :wow::wow::wow:

I was just thinking......(no wise cracks! :p ) If that amber is real it would be kinda hard to prove that it's not the oldest find that anyone has found really......not the gold "ring" part but what came up with the gold. From what I see if it's real it could be between 40-50 million years old?! :wow: I copied and pasted from this link http://www.ambertreasure4u.com/ Take that one to your jeweler buddy for sure! :yes: Wonder how they tell if it's real?

AMBER

All amber we sell is Genuine, Authentic, and Natural Baltic Amber. It is not artificial, plastic, and synthetic, reconstituted or substitute for amber.

Amber is the fossilized resin from ancient forests. It was formed as a result of the fossilization of resin that takes millions of years. Although a specific time interval has not been established for this process amber age is considered 40-50 millions of years.

Amber serves many wonderful purposes. For example, amber was first used for medicinal uses. The belief was that the properties when consumed provided relief from croup, asthma, fever, and tonsillitis and also in treating painful ear conditions. Amber quickly became a popular choice for jewelry. Along with its healing powers, amber has radiant color and durability. Therefore, it was quickly designed for rings, earrings, bracelets, necklaces, pendants and even hair jewelry.

Another attraction of amber are inclusions. Inclusions are all the objects that are trapped in amber. It can be both organic and inorganic. Over a thousand species of insects and crustacean have been found in it. Because of this they are interesting to collectors. Scientists are also interested in amber with inclusions because it allows researches on evolution and development of now living flora and fauna.

Great find, but I can see the other side of this today. My Dad called last night to say that he lost his wedding ring of 48 years yesterday on a golf course in Vermont. Bummer.......

But like I said, great find on your part..... ;)

Nice! Just curious....did you find it on the tee box or somewhere else on the hole? Congrats!

Thanks everybody. This was found mid way down hole 3. Right under the tree's in this picture to the right. Rang up from 12-6/12-12-12ish if I remember. I only dug it because the target trace wasn't jumping around. Other than that it wasn't the best signal.

I can honesty say I've never freaked out as much on a piece of gold only because I knew the potential for old gold!

Lord, killer read. That was my thoughts. If it's a bug it's probably millions of years old. Hard to get older than 40-50 million years old. Lol

Thanks everybody. Worth the 300 mosquito bites that laughed at my 3 different kinds of repellent.

Great finding gold!I'm curious ,how did you get permission to dig on a golf course?

Great finding gold!I'm curious ,how did you get permission to dig on a golf course?

I asked :roll:

Sorry, I think I'm funny at times. My buddy ended up taking over the local golf course and it was an easy in. Last season the place gave out probably 100 (+-a few)silvers between two of us. It was ridiculous.
This year the finds are coming at a much much slower pace, but we keep hitting it and every once in awhile we get lucky.

For being a golf course we were expecting a significant more amount of jewelry, but we have only found 3 keeper pieces. Go figure. I have previous threads about how it all came to be and our finds if you search

Thank you and thanks for asking. :grin:

Maybe a dumb question, but why would a golf course give permission to hunt? wouldn't they be afraid of the grass being disturbed? I don't golf (other then mini-putt), but the golfers I have met are pretty meticulous when it comes to the 'greens'. Do you hunt in the 'rough' or other places other then the 'green'? I would really like to know, as I would/could use a strategy to let the local course let me hunt.

Maybe a dumb question, but why would a golf course give permission to hunt? wouldn't they be afraid of the grass being disturbed? I don't golf (other then mini-putt), but the golfers I have met are pretty meticulous when it comes to the 'greens'. Do you hunt in the 'rough' or other places other then the 'green'? I would really like to know, as I would/could use a strategy to let the local course let me hunt.

Pretty valid question, lol. My buddy took over ownership, so it was a pretty easy in. I have more people stop and ask in a worried manner as to "what and why" because it's a golf course. The clubhouse will keep ownership of most all the relics and a few coins. The jewelry and the rest of the coins are mine to split with Jedediah (brother in law) well, I say split... Whatever we find we keep as our own. He would be fighting over this one otherwise. Lol.

The only place we can't disguise our having been is the greens, so we stay off those, but with the right tools (combination of Sampson,lesche and probe) you can't tell we have been cutting plugs. We also use Pam on our tools before we go out to the course so if it's wet (usually is) we don't leave behind rings.

Looks pretty old. Congrats!

I'm thinking so. It doesn't have a makers mark, but passes 14k acid. I didn't even try the 18k, it's just not the right color for it.

Not sure when makers marks were required, but I think it was early 1900's.

VERY COOL! Thanks for posting!
Honestly, i am wonder how you detect such a ring in such unexpected place! ;)
Congrats! Very impressive!

Back
Top Bottom