15th Hunt Of 2015 - They missed a few things..

Dsm_mechva

Forum Supporter
Not too long ago I posted about helping someone fill in holes in her yard.

( In this post if you want to read it.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=203325 )

Anyway I saw her today and asked about detecting her front yard and she said someone had already done it a long time ago but I could certainly try (previously she gave me permission to a small section on the side of her driveway)

Anyway, I made it about 1/2 way and will go back another day and check the rest...but they missed a few things. :grin:

One of the flat buttons is back marked and I found this info below about it from someone else that found one a few years ago.

"Leavenworths & Kendrick

Actually, this is one of those rare times when you can really nail down the time period of a flat button to a tight set of dates. This backmark was only used from 1829 to circa-1834... about 5 years. In 1835, Mark Leavenworth partnered with Willard Spencer and C.S. Sperry to form the Leavenworth, Spencer & Sperry company. His original company was ultimately sold to Ives & Kendrick in 1837, but due to his partnership formed in 1835, it's unlikely that any buttons were manufactured with your backmark much after 1834. Leavenworth originally started out as a clock maker in Waterbury, CT."

73426FAC-B06A-46E8-9419-C198236F5CC5_zpsorwdwfit.jpg

C43C215C-627E-4F7C-B733-908982E2B8F2_zpsggnnwmgd.jpg

Those are some very nice finds , the people before sure missed some goodies , and I would bet their is even more to be found .

Nice finds!! I think you nailed the time period. Leavenworths & Kendrick did make a 1 piece military (Navy) button with the backmark *L & Kendrick* Extra Rich.(NA-86A2,1-pc.) page 99 Alberts book. HH 401K

Nice finds!! I think you nailed the time period. Leavenworths & Kendrick did make a 1 piece military (Navy) button with the backmark *L & Kendrick* Extra Rich.(NA-86A2,1-pc.) page 99 Alberts book. HH 401K

Thanks 401k. It's a civilian button I know but it's a neat find.

It's pretty thick too I thought it was a coin at first when it was dirty but that lasted about 2 seconds when I noticed the spot where the shank would have been.

Way neat! Not common like scovill. I found the backmark *L & Kendrick* Extra Rich, in the American military button makers book that only has military button makers and the backmarks that were used, that backmark is not in that book but *L & Kendrick* Extra Rich is and Leavenworths & Kendrick only made a military Navy button for the military any others made by them must be civilian with a different backmark. I also think civilian but made by the same company-partnership. Still a awesome backmark find!! HH 401K

Nice finds buddy. Can't get them all is right. I could take you to some spots that if I told you there were relics there at one time you'd say I was nuts. :p

I've heard stories of your questionable sanity :lol:

Kidding !

Thanks buddy I hope to get back there next week and see what else they missed then go over it again and see what I missed :)

Awesome dude! They missed a few because they didn't have a Deus!!!! :waytogo:

Isn't that an epaulett key? I think I've seen them before, but have no idea how they were used.

Awesome dude! They missed a few because they didn't have a Deus!!!! :waytogo:

Isn't that an epaulett key? I think I've seen them before, but have no idea how they were used.

Thanks Bud , yep it sure enough is, this picture shows them in position as part of the locking device.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 186
Back
Top Bottom