Nokta FORS CoRe money hunt (small coil)

tnsharpshooter

Supporter
Forum Supporter
Took the Nokta FORS CoRe unit with small coil on a hunt this morning. A site/area I've never hunted before. This site has some old history. Starting around 1890 and up until 1950, this area was heavily frequented by tourist. There are sulfur springs in the area, and back then the sulfur water was thought to have miraculous healing abilities. So hotels were built and the area thrived until 1950. There has also been an annual antique car show held here for several years and still goes on today. This area is also by a creek, and this site this morning has at times been under several feet of water due to floods, the worst being in 1969. Also my brother told me there are a couple older gents who come here every year on vacation for a month every year to do nothing but relax and metal detect. They have been doing this for several years. I don't know exactly which detectors the older gent use or have used on the site, but my brother has talked to them and he said they had several units. I'm sure others have detected the area as well. My brother has hunted the site on and off with etrac and White's V3i for the last 3 years. Another gent has hunted on and off for the same period with a fisher F5. Well this morning myself, my brother with his White's V3i with 10dd coil, and the other gent with his fisher F5 hunted this morning for around 2 hours. When the both of them saw my hockey puck coil on the end of my rod they both sniggered. I could see by the looks on their faces, yeah right, what are you going to do with that thing???

Well I commenced hunting in DI3 sens 99 ID mask level 10. Machine was quiet as a mouse even when in close proximity to the other detectors when they were on. And light wires close by in all directions. So after about 15 minutes I get a few good signals solid 83s and a little later a solid 91, all these turned out to be clad quarter, and a few pennies. I kept detecting and notice a good signal, good solid 83. When sweeping the TID stayed solid as a rock, I could hear a slight buzz though when sweeping. It was a tight signal. A signal that would report from all directions but in a very concise spot. Tighter than normal. Well I started digging and about 6 inches out jumps a real thin coin. Turned out to be the 1876 seated dime/heavily worn/super thin. So with coil back on the ground I get another good signal and I could tell the target was surrounded by other small metallic objects. Again a tighter than normal signal with tone coming from an exacting spot with dead on TID 83. Well anyway at about 5 inches out pops a 1905 IH, crusty as could be. By now the other 2 gents are starting to scratch their heads, knowing they had pounded this particular area and never found either of the coins (seated dime and IH). Well with coil back on the ground get another signal this time 85, steady as a rock and again I could tell from between the coil movement over the target and the tones produced something else metallic was close to the target. At about 5 inches out pops a 1957 dime. I also dug a 1920 wheat. A great hunt indeed. My brother even commented on my unit saying it was nothing more than a disguised ACE 250. LOL I ask him how come he was digging all that junk he dug with his White's, when all I had dug for junk was one smashed screw cap,zipper and and old overall button (not junk to me). The gent with the F5 was digging junk too, but to be fair he did dig a 1964 quarter. I listened to it on my CoRe unit. Rock solid 92 no a waiver on the meter. I think some may be surprised at how many silver coins still exist at shallow depths. They are just being hidden enough to either not see or are colocated with other iron/trash it drives the tone and TID into a detectorist thinking junk all the way, when in fact the silver and old IHs are there for the taking. Had I have just found one coin, this may not mean anything, but in a relatively small area, too find 2 old and 1 additional silver dime, something indeed is up. I think this small coil on the CoRe is a "sniffer of a setup". I will be going back to this site. I feel it has other nice coins.

Nice finds and shows you that ppl are fooled often by how trash can hide a good target. Oh and what kind of comment is that about a nokta being a disguised ace 250, I hope your brother recanted.

No he never recanted, he just couldn't understand how he got his behind busted with a much cheaper detector than his own.

Well I have to say that the we got lucky on the price of the Nokta because from my understanding is that the normal price is supposed to be in the neighborhood of $1100-1300 but to gain a foothold in the American market the company has cut the price in half. They're being sold in Europe for the equivalent of the much higher price. Smart thing to do if I lived over there would be buy from Kellyco at $600 and have it shipped and make some money..they probably have something to stop such things from happening.

Back
Top Bottom