Any advices to CRH? Please!

Eugene10

Elite Member
Hi Gals and Guys. Impressed with great finds from other forum members here I decided to try some CRH-ing. So I went to my bank and bought 4 boxes of coins, please look at the pictures - are these right boxes I bought? And what to do with them next? Could you recommend any literature/internet resources? Thank you in advance! Eugene.

Attachments

• crh_01.jpg
    crh_01.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 273
Never did this but since you have gotten no useful help I will post what I believe happens.

You need to look at every coin looking for stamping errors, key dates and whatever else coin collectors look for that makes a penny worth $100. Would guess Very bright light, Very strong magnification, and all the time in the world. Other thing is just looking for silver coins and then reselling them for the silver value.
I know you were looking for help from folks that actually do this sort of thing.. maybe someone will pop by later.

Good luck with the quarters. Rough finding quarters in the wild!

Nickels and dimes should produce something.

Pennies...lots of errors and wheats.

Good luck and post your results!

Guys, thank you for wishes and recommendations! By the way where do other guys get boxes with halves?? I asked in my branch they said they do not have them :(

I do pretty well on quarters. You can't just hunt the edges for silver. I found a bunch of S proof non silver quarters, Apparently some kid dumped their dads QVC hoard.:lol:

Your bank may not carry halves in their inventory but they can order a box for you. Iordered a box and did not find a single 40 or 90 in the whole box.

Guys, thank you for wishes and recommendations! By the way where do other guys get boxes with halves?? I asked in my branch they said they do not have them :(
I've roll hunted since the late 1970's, and have held accounts with over a half-dozen banks at a time to keep my supplied with coin. You should be able to find a bank that will order boxes of coin for you. When finished searching, always dump your leftovers at a different bank than where you've bought, that's a courtesy that will keep the tellers happy!

I normally edge-hunt, and I like to have about $1k-$3k at a time to search.
I like dimes, because I can consistently find silver roosevelts, mercury, barbers and canadians. I pick up bags from coin counters, and have banks hold all the rolls that customers bring in.

The one key to successful roll hunting is to search VOLUMES of coin.
I was searching $30k-$50k per year for awhile, which may not be considered much to some, but it's all I had time for due to work, etc...

With current low silver prices, people are dumping collections for the simple reason that money is tight; and the local jeweler/coin dealer isn't paying much at all for silver...not all crh'ers sell their finds though, matter of fact I've sold only a few coins that I've found over the years.

Good luck in the hunt.

AMC RULZ is correct, some CRHers never sell a coin....but you got to be a diehard horder to take that attitude. Have sold a couple non-silver unique finds like magic coins to DirtyRob but they were really trades for more silver for the King's Treasure Chest. It helps if you set up a commercial checking account with the bank you want to buy from as they can understand a business needing boxed coins. And his comment about hunting lots of coins is also correct. The more coins, the more chance you have of finding some goodies! Patience and perserverance is the key. Also educate yourself on what you are hunting, be it any coin denomination. KT never edge hunts and finds many overlooked items, from proofs to British LCs.

Get a book like the Red Book, the values for the coins in there are a bit inflated but it does have a list of key dates and pictures of error coins so you know what to look for.

Slow and steady wins the race. The key is to NOT give up after long streaks of not finding anything good. Remember peaks and valleys!

So on this topic I have a question. I do crh'ing as well. Up to this point I've only done mostly halves from various banks I use and a few dimes a well. I have only been searching for silver to this point and have had some pretty good luck as well. Found 4 90s and twelve 40s in the past month in about 40 rolls. So my question is: what else should I be looking for specifically besides just silver? Whether in halves quarters dimes nickels or pennies. I know you guys can't list every valuable coin here but the most common things I should be looking for so I can broaden my search some. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom