MXT Gain...A Few "Tips".

Lowjiber

Forum Supporter
There are quite a few new MXT users on the forum, so I thought I'd ramble a minute about the Gain Control.

Most new users start with the Gain Control at the recommended setting (about 9.5) and soon discover that the ability to quickly reduce the gain in trashy and/or high EMI areas is a very handy feature of the machine. For example: In a tot lot depth is rarely an issue, so a gain of 6-7 will work well; and turning it down to about 3 allows you to get very close to, and even under, the metalic equipment.

I hunt most parks with a small DD coil that is great, but doesn't have the depth of the 9.5" standard coil, or the 12" hubcap, that are usually in my Jeep about a mile away when I need added depth.

I was hunting an old, small park today and got into an open area that was relatively free of trash and EMI, but I wasn't finding much of anything. Then I got one of those famous "whispers" that we all love. My first move was to crank the gain to the max (+3), and the "whisper" became a VDI in the 80's. (I'm thinking "Silver Ring".) Pinpoint depth was accurate at 9" (with a DD coil, now mind you)...target turned out to be a clad quarter circa 1979.:roll:

However, this alerted me to the fact that the coins in this area were perhaps too deep for my DD coil with Gain turned to "normal" (9.5). So, I left the Gain on max and found 33 coins (14 quarters) and a token...all of which were deeper than 7". I likely would have found none if it were not for increasing the Gain to increase the depth of my small DD coil.

I know I could have gone back and installed the 12" hubcap, but understanding the benefits of kicking the Gain up kept me hunting!

There are chapters of books dedicated to MXT Gain...pre-amp and second stage gain, etc. The tip and story here is to encourage new users to be creative with the Gain control beyond the "little arrow" between 9 & 10.

When you hear whispers, or suspect that there's much more deeper (regardless of coil selected), don't be timid...crank up the gain control (that's why it's there). The worse that can happen is your ears will hurt because the audio is also increased...that's why our headphones have volume controls. The best, and most common, thing that can happen is that you'll discover treasures that either remain hidden, or merely "whisper".

Happy Hunting with your new MXT...it can be your "best friend".:tumble:

Respectfully,

John (Lowjiber)

John, do you think you misidentified the target as a silver ring because you increased the gain? I haven't got an MXT at the moment but have found that boosting the gain apart from the welcome improvement in depth on some not to busy sites widened the electromagnetic field causing fringe targets away from the area under the coil to influence the target I.D.

Last edited:
I, too, wonder if it would create some falsing. I do old foundations and fields, mostly, and I've only been out with my MXT twice so I haven't experimented with it much at all. Still getting used to a different machine ~ I'm so used to the Fisher CZ-3D.

John, do you think you misidentified the target as a silver ring because you increased the gain? I haven't got an MXT at the moment but have found that boosting the gain apart from the welcome improvement in depth on some not to busy sites widened the electromagnetic field causing fringe targets away from the area under the coil to influence the target I.D.
No, the target was not misidentified. I have found several silver rings with the MXT, all of which have had a VDI in the 80's...thus my initial suspicion (hope) that it was a silver ring. I really pay no attention to the "labels" anyway. I hunt exclusively in Relic mode, only depending on VDI and the "music" in the headphones.

The soil was not highly mineralized, there was very little trash or EMI, and the ground balance was good. In other words, the machine remained stable...allowing the Disc function to operate properly. Had the MD become unstable, I would have backed off the Gain a little (perhaps to +2) to regain stability.

Thanks for your comment.

The soil was not highly mineralized, there was very little trash or EMI, and the ground balance was good. In other words, the machine remained stable...allowing the Disc function to operate properly. Had the MD become unstable, I would have backed off the Gain a little (perhaps to +2) to regain stability.

I use the relic mode ( trigger centered) a lot when hunting coins. I also use higher gain most of the time. If you use the + gains you will not have whispers.

The C&J and Relic Alternate search mode are identical in terms of mixed mode audio operation. The odd mode is Relic Primary search mode. The all-metal portion of the signal here uses a slower internally fixed S.A.T. speed. This S.A.T. speed tends to interact with EMI a bit less and therefore allows a higher GAIN setting to be used with stability and allows a slightly slower sweep speed.
The most noticeable all-metal portion of the audio’s mixed-mode “whispers” occur with the “Threshold” adjusted very low and headphone gain turned up – at higher “Threshold” setting some of the weak signal modulation is lost.

I've gotten this information talking to Jeff Foster. Rob

I use the relic mode ( trigger centered) a lot when hunting coins. I also use higher gain most of the time. If you use the + gains you will not have whispers.

The C&J and Relic Alternate search mode are identical in terms of mixed mode audio operation. The odd mode is Relic Primary search mode. The all-metal portion of the signal here uses a slower internally fixed S.A.T. speed. This S.A.T. speed tends to interact with EMI a bit less and therefore allows a higher GAIN setting to be used with stability and allows a slightly slower sweep speed.
The most noticeable all-metal portion of the audio’s mixed-mode “whispers” occur with the “Threshold” adjusted very low and headphone gain turned up – at higher “Threshold” setting some of the weak signal modulation is lost.

I've gotten this information talking to Jeff Foster. Rob
Rob,
I totally agree. I forgot to mention that I hunt with the trigger in the middle position. I'm darn near deaf and hunt with the Threshold set just to a low hum and the headphone audio to MAX.

That is like the deepest clad ever... I'd go nuts if i had to dig a trench that deep for a quarter!
Believe me...I was tired after two hours!!!! However, the DD coil pinpoints coins like a dream. I only cut plugs about 4" in diameter and use a handheld pinpointer and the Lesche to go deeper.

Our contest team REALLY needs some silver coins, and the dates of the quarters (all clad) lead me to believe that there has to be some pre-65 stuff in the area. I'll admit that the ground was pretty soft due to the automatic sprinklers in this small park...not like digging really hard, dry dirt.

MXT gain....A few tips

Believe me...I was tired after two hours!!!! However, the DD coil pinpoints coins like a dream. I only cut plugs about 4" in diameter and use a handheld pinpointer and the Lesche to go deeper.

Our contest team REALLY needs some silver coins, and the dates of the quarters (all clad) lead me to believe that there has to be some pre-65 stuff in the area. I'll admit that the ground was pretty soft due to the automatic sprinklers in this small park...not like digging really hard, dry dirt.

Hi John, I know how you feel about the 2 hour thing. I too have to slow down. Don't know about you but I'm 74 YOA and even had to build myself an aid in getting up. The only difference I have in using the relic mode is that I tried using the trigger switch in the forward position and it seems to help me in location and depth. Slso thanks for the tip on turning the Gain down in tot lots as ours has a lot of steel in it too. Also sure enjoy being on here and all the helpful hints I get on this forum. I have experienced a lot of the good and bad as you guys have W/my MXT and am getting a Super 12 coil ASAP. HH Be safe. GB Teehunter2, MXT/Bullseye II

Being a

"seat of the pants " hunter I would rather go with what works for me, than to try to fully understand the technical aspects of my detector. In the south where I am we have little mineralization. I hunt with the gain high on places that are hit hard, or where I have detected before. The really deep targets seldom respond with reliable VDIs. The numbers are skewed higher, as well as lower, and into negatives. The depths always seem to be beyond what the indicator settles in as. In other words when you push the detector beyond it's ability to give you accuracy, don't expect it. If it is coin sized, and deep, it gets extricated. Digging a 10 inch deep hole for a clad quarter may seem a waste of time for some, but when it turns out to be a highly detailed Barber, SLQ, or large cent, it suddenly became worthy of getting your hands dirty...Gil

...THANKS JOHN,..I have been using Relic mode since I talked to you last BUT was in the alternate mode ( forward trigger). Reckon I best change that too! Thanks for sharing here on the Forum!. Be well..... Jan

I will have to start hunting in relic mode and see how that works for me. I have played with the gain but just didn't get your results. Tim

mxt gain

Good reading for us newbe's. Lots of good angles to consider as i read everyones post.It's good to know the mxt can go so deep, and i dont mind digging that deep to recover silver (clad or not)..Might have been a collectors dream in that hole. Wish i wasnt out of ink...lol Not so good at making mental notes, but ill be re-reading all this in hopes to retain this info in the field...Thanks all for the good reading... I know it'll help me do better.

Relic or Coin Mode?

So.... being new at the MXT, is the verdict out that it`s better to hunt in Relic mode for coin and jewelry or Have I misunderstood?
:shock:

So.... being new at the MXT, is the verdict out that it`s better to hunt in Relic mode for coin and jewelry or Have I misunderstood?
:shock:

No. Relic mode is a little quieter because is has a slower SAT speed, but C&J goes a little bit deeper (in my judgment), though it tends to be a little noisier.

If you want maximum depth from the MXT though, Prospecting mode is the one. I don't recommend it for urban areas as it has no discrimination.

You might want to search the forum for the "official MXT" thread. :D

Back
Top Bottom