New White's TRX vs Garrett vs Minelab

Azmodeus

Diggin In Illinois
Forum Supporter
My dealer got his shipment in a few days late so there might already be some comparison videos out there, but decided to do mine anyhow. The new TRX is pretty impressive. I'll be using it in the field for awhile testing it out. Here's a video comparing the 3 pointers...

I can see it both here and on Youtube. Better on Youtube as you can full screen it. Gots Me a thinkin'.. :)

Thanks for the vid.

Waiting for a local dealer here to get them in, thanks for the video, Earl

Earl, even more impressive in the ground. Was deeper than my pistol probe which is deeper than the propointer and profind. I still have a profind. Sold the propointers. But had tested both against my pistol probe. Buried a nickel at 4" and it was hitting it at 5". Coolest thing about it is the ratchet feature.

Earl, even more impressive in the ground. Was deeper than my pistol probe which is deeper than the propointer and profind. I still have a profind. Sold the propointers. But had tested both against my pistol probe. Buried a nickel at 4" and it was hitting it at 5". Coolest thing about it is the ratchet feature.

Just wondering if the LED on mind is bad.. it works as a "hey I am on" light but is useless to see anything even in total darkness.. Looks like maybe they put to big of a current limiting resistor in the LED circuit.. or had to because with it functional as a light it reduced battery live to much.. or mine is bad..

Just wondering if the LED on mind is bad.. it works as a "hey I am on" light but is useless to see anything even in total darkness.. Looks like maybe they put to big of a current limiting resistor in the LED circuit.. or had to because with it functional as a light it reduced battery live to much.. or mine is bad..

Light is a lot dimmer than the pro find. No idea if they had to reduce current to the bulb for better performance or what? Still finding it hard to believe it goes deeper than my pistol probe with two 9 volts and I haven't even adjusted the sens up to a max of 4 yet:lol:

Great video! But a request...

Hey Azmodeus--
Thanks for posting that video. Looks really good. Can I make a request for a sequel? Same set up, but can you put the pinpointers on the ruler PERPINDICULAR to the target and show if/where they start sounding off radially?

I ask because the propointer will do that, and there are times where that has been helpful and times where it has brought me to tears. :) As I understand it, the TRX does not do that, correct? Would be great to see that demonstrated, or at least see how much less/same/more it does that relative to the GPP.

I'm guessing others would be interested in that, too. Thanks!
Rich

Hey Azmodeus--
Thanks for posting that video. Looks really good. Can I make a request for a sequel? Same set up, but can you put the pinpointers on the ruler PERPINDICULAR to the target and show if/where they start sounding off radially?

I ask because the propointer will do that, and there are times where that has been helpful and times where it has brought me to tears. :) As I understand it, the TRX does not do that, correct? Would be great to see that demonstrated, or at least see how much less/same/more it does that relative to the GPP.

Rich

it does and its about half the tip depth which makes more sense than the pro pointer.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

is the "ratchet" feature the same as doing a "detune" on the garrett? also how strong is the vibration on the TRX with the volume turned off? is it about the same as the garrett or pro-find?
thanks for your review!!

is the "ratchet" feature the same as doing a "detune" on the garrett? also how strong is the vibration on the TRX with the volume turned off? is it about the same as the garrett or pro-find?
thanks for your review!!

yes ratchet is same as detune/ground grab. difference is you don't have to turn it off and on to do it. just quick press of the button. can do it to detune and retune. haven't tested vibrate only.

Hey Azmodeus--

Rich
From the tip down about 2 inches the PP will pick up nothing, then another 2 inches it will with about a 2" range .. will post a quick video shortly.

Quick video of Side sensitivity of TRX

yes ratchet is same as detune/ground grab. difference is you don't have to turn it off and on to do it. just quick press of the button. can do it to detune and retune. haven't tested vibrate only.

Yep that's what's awesome about the ratchet is you can do it while it's on, where-as with the garrett you have to stick it next to the metal then turn it back on. The vibration is pretty close to the garrett, maybe just a hair not as strong but that may be because of the slightly larger housing of the TRX.

Hey Azmodeus--

Rich

I may do another video showing that, but we are under snow and ice right now and by the time it thaws then it will be muddy for another week and I imagine by then others will have done videos on it already. :lol: But just did some quick testing and the garrett would pick things up on the side about 1" - 1.25" all the way down the tip. The TRX does also and deeper at about 2" but on mine there seems to be a deadzone in there. The first 1" of the tip will pick up targets on the side no problem, then for about the next 1.5" up the shaft there's no pick-up, then the last inch or so of the shaft it picks the targets up on the side again. The shaft of the TRX is a bit longer than the PP though, maybe that's why. Here's a pic of what I mean...

Attachments

• trxpic2.jpg
    trxpic2.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 484
I didn't test it enough to realize the dead zone but it really a non-factor. according to the FCC filing it uses at least one .5 x 3" coil!

I didn't test it enough to realize the dead zone but it really a non-factor. according to the FCC filing it uses at least one .5 x 3" coil!

Yeah I don't think the small non-detection zone in the middle there is gonna matter at all. It picks up 2" away on the sides where it does pick-up and when you're swirling it around the plug hole you'll pick-up whatever you're looking for.

From the tip down about 2 inches the PP will pick up nothing, then another 2 inches it will with about a 2" range .. will post a quick video shortly.

Perfect! Thanks. I prefer the less sensitivity from the sides, and seeing it near the tip with a dead zone above that seems ideal to me. Just need to find another 400 quarters and I'm placing my order! ;)

Thx,
Rich

Back
Top Bottom