Ames / True Temper diggers

TorqueMaster

Elite Member
Hey I just noticed there are TWO low priced Ames diggers out there. They look really similar and I just figured one was a slightly altered version of the same model -- different colors and slight blade and handle differences -- maybe one to appeal to gardeners, and one to appeal to macho tool users. That's mostly true, but...

The "Height" listed may be wrong, but I believe the text is correct -- the Pal is 11" overall, and the Buddy is 12" overall.

The biggest difference is the Pal has a chromed steel blade, the Buddy is stainless steel. The Pal seems to run about $10, the Buddy about $15. 10 year warranty on Pal, (limited) Lifetime on Buddy.

Not knowing the exact type of steel in each, it's hard to say which should be stronger.

Feedback from other users would be appreciated. Which one do you have? How long have you used it? Has it ever broken? How/where did it break?

I tried out the Pal yesterday, and it was good in damp soil, though mud stuck to it more than I'd have liked. The saw edge went through roots very quickly. It cleaned up like new afterwards.

Attachments

• planters_pal.jpg
    planters_pal.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 327
  • planters_buddy.jpg
    planters_buddy.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 302
The buddy looks better to me since the "Neck" is in the handle from the photo shown. Plus I would rather have stainless. The pal, if the chrome chips will rust faster I believe.

I use the pal, im on my second one, the first one i quit using as the blade became loose after 1.5 years of heavy digging, but for $10 at home depot, i cant complain, it cuts through the grass nice and leaves a nice clean plug for when your hunting yards/parks.

I've used the "buddy" for the last couple years and it's served me well. It's sturdy and will take on moderate sized roots with no problem. I also like the flat top of the handle that allows me to hammer with my fist on it when need be. The blunt tip is not to helpful in dry hard packed soil or gravel, but for most general sod/plug cutting and digging conditions, it's a good tool. I got mine at Lowe's for $10. For an economical digger, I highly recommend it.
FWIW.

I have the pal and i really like it and the price. got it at HD for 9. Probably is Chrome because it does rust but i dont care since im digging in the dirt lol.

well worth the money but i kinda wanna try the raven 31 by predator tools yeah 60 bucks is alot of money but im 32 and comes with a lifetime guarantee. wonder how many i will have LOL

Back
Top Bottom