Oak Island

HiDesertHunter

Anyone else watching the 'The Curse Of Oak Island' on the History Channel, Or have been following the stories all their lives? (like I have) Any ideas or theories?

I saw the 1st episode and set a series recording on my DVR. I cant wait to start watching their progress. I think it will be a hit with the forum members.

I just finished watching episode 2.
I seriously think they have found the Knight Templar treasure. If they could block off Smiths Cove with a coffer dam and pump out the water I think they would be able to get to it.
If any of you haven't seen the show you should find it and watch it.

Odd thing is, seems like fairly advanced technology to booby trap the pit like it is. Coffer dams are one thing but how were the tunnels from the sea put in?

Read about it years ago. Only a 5 part series. Solved or dead?

I watched the first 2 episodes. It annoys me that they aren't even exploring the main tunnel...

What they should do is spread some dye in the water in the main tunnel, then pressurize the tunnel and dive down and find where the dye is escaping into the tunnel to the ocean. Then plug that hole to the ocean and finally pump all the water out of the tunnel.

I could get that treasure in a week if I had all that equipment... :D

I remember the 1965 readers digest article when I read it in a barber shop in the early seventees:lol: If I remember correctly the way the short piece of gold chain came up was when they were using a drilling rig. The way the series is starting out it sounded more like someone just dug down and found all the levels. I also seem to remember the main water boobie trap was blown closed with dynamite. Then they found out water was also coming in from the opposite side. They didn't know if the other side was a natural or man made passage back then that I remember.

I don't buy it, yes it's fun to think about but it's highly unlikely anything is there. People who bury treasure plan to come back for it, so why bury it so deep and spend such a long time building "elaborate" booby traps that it would be almost impossible to come back and easily take. Also why is there a need to bury a treasure well over 200 feet deep on a deserted island with no one around for thousands of miles (considering this is supposed to be pre 18th century treasure), they could have buried it 10 feet and it would never have been found, if anything spending months building and digging such a large hiding place would have given away their location more than anything else. The truth is pirates spent their money as fast as they stole it, which is why they would come to port for a few days, weeks, months and party, then go out to sea to find more money. In instances when they did bury treasure, more than likely someone from the crew came back for it, as for the Knights Templar legend, they never fled to sea with their treasure, this was based on the claim of one man who made many false claims about the order and was known for telling wild stories. The truth is the Templar only had a few ships, all based in the Mediterranean, when they needed more they rented them. In reality the Knights did not disappear, most just joined other orders, while many of the order just changed their name i.e Knights Of Christ. I do love treasure tales and legends but most of them are just that. These guys are wasting their time and money but if they have it to spare, more power to them. :D

I remember reading all about this and being intrigued as young kid. I'm enjoying the series so far, but do wonder why they aren't using more technology at hand. I guess it boils down to funding.

I don't buy it, yes it's fun to think about but it's highly unlikely anything is there. People who bury treasure plan to come back for it, so why bury it so deep and spend such a long time building "elaborate" booby traps that it would be almost impossible to come back and easily take. Also why is there a need to bury a treasure well over 200 feet deep on a deserted island with no one around for thousands of miles (considering this is supposed to be pre 18th century treasure), they could have buried it 10 feet and it would never have been found, if anything spending months building and digging such a large hiding place would have given away their location more than anything else. The truth is pirates spent their money as fast as they stole it, which is why they would come to port for a few days, weeks, months and party, then go out to sea to find more money. In instances when they did bury treasure, more than likely someone from the crew came back for it, as for the Knights Templar legend, they never fled to sea with their treasure, this was based on the claim of one man who made many false claims about the order and was known for telling wild stories. The truth is the Templar only had a few ships, all based in the Mediterranean, when they needed more they rented them. In reality the Knights did not disappear, most just joined other orders, while many of the order just changed their name i.e Knights Of Christ. I do love treasure tales and legends but most of them are just that. These guys are wasting their time and money but if they have it to spare, more power to them. :D

coil-to-soil, your fatal flaw here is: You're using common sense logic! haha And you have to ask yourself, if what you're saying is so common sense, they why the h*ck do so many people believe these silly legends? (and sink tons of money into them)

Here's why: the human mind wants SO hard to believe in treasures, that common sense and skepticism get pushed to the side. Because no one wants to be "left out" and laughed at all the way to the bank, right? So all these silly treasure legends just get taken as gospel fact. This psychology is seen espeically in some 3rd world places, like the phillipines and Mexcio, where ....... people are simply convinced there's a treasure in every cave. Oh ... and of course it's 20 ft. deep. And if they dig 20 ft, and nothing is there, well then that never means there's not a treasure mind you. It merely means it must be 30 ft. deep (and now they need a deeper-seeking detector, of course). And when they go 30 ft. and it's not there, guess what? Well it must be 40 ft. deep. At NO TIME is the treasure simply not there. It's always deeper, or someone else must've dug up it up before you got there, etc.... Simply hilarious!

Yes I am. I have always been intrigued by The Oak Island money pit. I hope they find the treasure that IS down there.

How can you not think there may be something down there? As metal detectorist we all believe in treasure. That is what fuels our passion for this hobby. They are just on a larger scale.

I watched the first 2 episodes. It annoys me that they aren't even exploring the main tunnel...

What they should do is spread some dye in the water in the main tunnel, then pressurize the tunnel and dive down and find where the dye is escaping into the tunnel to the ocean. Then plug that hole to the ocean and finally pump all the water out of the tunnel.

I could get that treasure in a week if I had all that equipment... :D

They have already done that.

Others are mentioning the pirate angle. I really thing the Knights Templar have a different approach than Blackbeard. They have the architectural knowledge, the manpower, and the time to create a treasure spot like Oak Island.

The treasure of the Knights Templar has never been found. It took them centuries to collect it. They left Europe with 12-14 treasure ships at the same time period as the radio carbon dating of the coconut fiber they found in Smiths Cove.

I believe they will find some sort of treasure. I've known about Oak island for around ten years, and have been waiting for someone with a lot of money to solve the Mystery. I'm Intrigued on how well the design and the workmanship on the pit itself. Its really amazing.

coil-to-soil, your fatal flaw here is: You're using common sense logic! haha And you have to ask yourself, if what you're saying is so common sense, they why the h*ck do so many people believe these silly legends? (and sink tons of money into them)

Here's why: the human mind wants SO hard to believe in treasures, that common sense and skepticism get pushed to the side. Because no one wants to be "left out" and laughed at all the way to the bank, right? So all these silly treasure legends just get taken as gospel fact. This psychology is seen espeically in some 3rd world places, like the phillipines and Mexcio, where ....... people are simply convinced there's a treasure in every cave. Oh ... and of course it's 20 ft. deep. And if they dig 20 ft, and nothing is there, well then that never means there's not a treasure mind you. It merely means it must be 30 ft. deep (and now they need a deeper-seeking detector, of course). And when they go 30 ft. and it's not there, guess what? Well it must be 40 ft. deep. At NO TIME is the treasure simply not there. It's always deeper, or someone else must've dug up it up before you got there, etc.... Simply hilarious!

Haha exactly, I wish many of these stories existed but they just don't. Not many people bury large amounts of treasure and just leave it. People rob, steal, and plunder to enjoy the spoils. I've read stories of how some pirates would spend all their loot in a day or two of partying. I've fallen for some of these stories, of course I didn't spend tons of money trying to locate them but upon reading the true history behind the legends I found out most were false. One example is the CSA treasure train, most of the money on the train was paid out to soldiers a long the way, the rest was most likely pocketed or deposited and went on to make some families very wealthy. It's fun to think there is vast amounts of treasure left but unless one man buried it and died before he could dig it up, it was spent. I think we all get into this hobby with vision of treasure, so I guess deep down even though I don't think I'll ever find Captain Kidd's treasure, I still want to believe I will. :D

They have already done that.

Others are mentioning the pirate angle. I really thing the Knights Templar have a different approach than Blackbeard. They have the architectural knowledge, the manpower, and the time to create a treasure spot like Oak Island.

The treasure of the Knights Templar has never been found. It took them centuries to collect it. They left Europe with 12-14 treasure ships at the same time period as the radio carbon dating of the coconut fiber they found in Smiths Cove.

It would be highly unlikely, most stories of the Knights Templar are nothing more than legend. Most knights never left Europe, they simply changed the name of their order to the Knights of Christ, while many more joined and were accepted into the Knight Hospitallers, which also received all the Templars property. The Knights also only owned about 4 ships, all transport ships used to bring Pilgrims across the Mediterranean, they rented more ships if needed but they never had a massive fleet nor did they ever have a fleet that vanished, on top of that the ships would not have survived the Atlantic, they were small shallow draft vessels made for the calm and shallow waters of the Mediterranean. I wish the legend were true but even back then it was seen as just a legend. If anyone wants to know were the treasure went, it mostly likely went into the pockets of the many thousand other Templars who continued to live as noble knights all throughout Europe. :grin:

stop pooing on the treasure!

Why would anyone bother to put all those layers there and dig that pit if not to hide something?

stop pooing on the treasure!

Why would anyone bother to put all those layers there and dig that pit if not to hide something?

No proof of anything man made has ever really surfaced. The tablet with writing and most of the other "finds" all happened to come about just as the companies doing the digs were about to go bankrupt. If it were me, I'd detect the surface of the island. If the Templar or pirates were there doing such an elaborate dig there would almost certainly be signs of lodgings as well as coins, tools, and other items lost and left behind. Now if they start finding coins and tools from the 1200s on the surface then I may change my mind. :grin:

Back
Top Bottom