propane torch for frozen ground?

NMsilver

Elite Member
Has anyone tried to use a propane torch to enable digging in frozen ground?
Most people here seem to wait until the thaw in April to detect.
I'm not talking about digging in city parks, but going relic and nugget hunting in the foothills.
I bought a blowtorch adapter for small propane tanks that I happened to see in a pawn shop for $2 so I can give it a try.
I'm planning to try it soon on a clear day after a few hours of sun have softened the ice up a bit.

Dirt and the ground itself are too good of an insulator for that to work IMO..

Unless you want to spend 45 minutes on every hole.. Be better off with a simple pick axe...

<*)))>{

Flicking a lighter and waving a 2lb. tank over the ground is work?

I'm not going to parks, and where I am is desert, not possible to start a fire, especially with a couple inches of snow on the ground.

Dirt and the ground itself are too good of an insulator for that to work IMO..

Unless you want to spend 45 minutes on every hole.. Be better off with a simple pick axe...

<*)))>{

Thanks for the opinions, guys, but has anyone TRIED it?

I like your name,its perfect for this thread too.
Maybe you could change to Icemelter if it works better than a pickax, or use both in conjuction?

The biggest issue with trying to heat up the ground is heat goes up...

I have see guys build roaring bon fires on the ice and it hardly makes a dent...

<*)))>{

Might leave big burn spots all over the park haha. I generally hunt the woods in the winter, it's rare for wooded ground to freeze, the leaves and tree's seem to keep it nice and soft, the worst I've ever encountered is the leaves being frozen on the top inch or so of ground but thats easy to get through. As far as the torch, I'm not sure how it would work and it would most likely take some time to get the ground warm enough to dig.

I'd rather research new sites for next years hunts than dig frozen grounds with a blow torch for finds that will be there in the Spring when the ground softens...:laughing:

In Michigan, yeah, I understand.
I'm somewhere with a much milder winter and a lot dryer soil.
The ground isn't hard frozen, its pliable, but pretty stiff.
I want to make it easier to use my pick on.

I just get the MDing Jones, man, lol.

:grin:
Might leave big burn spots all over the park haha. I generally hunt the woods in the winter, it's rare for wooded ground to freeze, the leaves and tree's seem to keep it nice and soft, the worst I've ever encountered is the leaves being frozen on the top inch or so of ground but thats easy to get through. As far as the torch, I'm not sure how it would work and it would most likely take some time to get the ground warm enough to dig.

Thanks for the tip on forests :grin:

The biggest issue with trying to heat up the ground is heat goes up...

I have see guys build roaring bon fires on the ice and it hardly makes a dent...

<*)))>{

I know, but a torch has a lot of pressure pushing the flame down and its focused.

I just tried it on a piece of ice on my concrete porch, about 3 by 2 inches and 1 inch thick. It melted in less than 2 minutes. And if I was using a pick on it at the same time it wouldn't have lasted nearly that long.

NMsilver, If it worked and was easy to do that could be all I need to get back out.

Last week weather in here was way to cold.

I like your idea checking the woods under cover that may have some finds.

Take Care HH

I was thinking more of low grade dynamite mixed with a Cen Tech pp since we have fireworks at Christmas
no one would notice the bang, ok just as silly as using a propain torch lol is it April 1st already?

hh thanks for the giggle

I never tried it but I can say that it would take a lot of propane. I dont think it would be cost effective to take the extra time and burn $12 worth of propane for what could turn out to be a couple pennies , pulltabs , or scrap iron. The " law of diminishing returns " kinda rules out the idea unless you could somehow know ahead of time that the find was valuable in some way. Its an interesting idea but Im afraid it wouldnt be very effective. Like has already been said the ground is a good insulator , it dont conduct heat very well so it would take a lot of heat to thaw very much.

X2

Get down to Bolles OHChris...

<*)))>{

Ive been wanting to but I dont know if I would trust the ice right now and that area still looks like it has plenty more rain on the way. Maybe once things get freezing up nice again. I sat out on 5 inches of ice this past tuesday at the local reservoir jigging a spoon and minnow dropper but never seen a fish , that ice is destroyed now.

Back
Top Bottom