Do all machine give false good signals around iron?

Utahoutdoors

We have a coin master, F2, and a delta 4000 and all of them give repeatable false high tone quarter, $.50 or silver like numbers or signals when you swing by iron. Happens when you hunt in all metal and when discriminating out iron.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but do At pros, e tracs and other higher end machines have this same problem? My family has been hunting hard this summer and have yet to find a single silver coin. We are getting a bit discouraged by these false signals.

Thanks for any help!

I hardly ever, ever, dig iron with my ATP...

The only times I have was a really deep target that every ten swings would give a coin type nickel signal, and I was not smart enough to believe what the machine was trying to tell me...

<*)))>{

I think that's an issue with ALL machines. There are ways to determine if it is a big target. Some machines have a few extra tricks to figure it out. Like the ATP has the iron audio button.

I have found lifting the detector off the ground a good way after you find a target like that will be a good clue. Big iron will pick up a lot higher than say a silver dime. If I am 8-10 inch off the ground then I have a good idea it's big iron. Also determining the size while pinpointing is key. Now there are always the chance of missing big silver caches this way I guess but how rare is that?

I am wanting an Etrac because it has two numbers used to determine the target. I am sure it can be off to but it has me interested. I haven't used one yet so I can't comment on it. I think all machines are more about learning them. I like my ATP but I wouldn't buy it to be a magic fix for this problem because its not.... I just learned how to pick out the bad targets. The other school of thought is you may be passing on that civil war rifle or sword by not digging those targets.

I like my ATP but I wouldn't buy it to be a magic fix for this problem because its not..

Really? I run mine in pro zero, iron audio off and no disc, and almost all iron gives that low grind sound... At least wrenches, barbed wire, nails, and such, not a pole off a swing set or my truck, but most of the digging type of iron...

<*)))>{

All machines can false on iron. The trick is to learn what ur machine is telling u because they can tell u if it is a nail if u learn it.

Really? I run mine in pro zero, iron audio off and no disc, and almost all iron gives that low grind sound... At least wrenches, barbed wire, nails, and such, not a pole off a swing set or my truck, but most of the digging type of iron...

<*)))>{

Mine gives high tones on big flat iron like 1800s era horse shoes ect just like a coin. The only time I pick up the grunt is usually when I turn iron audio on.

I have a V3i and CZ21, and both of them give random high tones on rusty iron, but always hit as a low tone more often than any other tone as I sweep over the target multiple times. Most good targets are solid mid/high tones, but very corroded coins, coins on edge, or coins at the edge of your depth will jump around between low, high, and mid tones, but will hit in the mid or high more often than iron.

Metal detectors ID targets best when the coil is centered over the target to get the strongest response. As you are walking and sweeping you will often sweep the edge of the coil over iron the first sweep, and it will incorrectly ring as a high tone, but when you center the coil over the target it will be more accurate and ID as iron the majority of the time.

My delta 4000 gives high signals with BIG iron, the trick is to learn your machine and realize that when its hitting high over a large area, its large iron.

Same deal with beer cans, if the area I get the signal from his a somewhat huge large, i know its a can, and not the dime it says it is.

The lifting the coil trick will weed out the iron overload targets for you with a AT Pro.

I don't care how much $$$ you spend on a detector. They will all false on iron. Some more than others, but fact of the matter is they will false on iron.

And the more powerful the detectors seem to be made the more they false on iron.

My CZ7a-pro and etrac will both false. The etrac gives a bit more info to choose from but it still falses. I dug a hatchet head the other day because the etrac falsed getting me to look closer. I knew it was not a coin because it was a large size object when I pin pointed but it was a large clear signal so I dug it. Bent nails, anything round, all seem to false. That said you can usually learn to tell a coin over a false by how the detector acts. Your best bet is bury a coin and swing over it and see how it acts different. A coin is usually a solid clear small target that reads the same from all directions PROVIDED that there is not iron next to it. Often it's a judgment call on whether to dig those good coin signals with an iron signal mixed in. Is it a false or a coin and a nail? No way to tell but to dig.

A round piece of metal siding will ding a perfect coin signal all directions sometimes but when you pinpoint the depth is often erratic or not accurate. I would still dig it.

I got the etrac because I was frustrated just like you. While I love it and it provides a bit more info than my Fisher it reacts in much the same way as the Fisher.

Let me ad to my above thoughts... consider turning down the sensitivity. It makes a huge difference in trashy areas. The adjustment is there for a reason. Turning it way down will stop a lot of falsing. You lose some depth but going slow with a stable machine will find more than a machine dinging away at iron 6 inches away because you are on full power.

Also consider turning off discrimination. It may make a lot of noise but it will usually tell you it's iron. I find discrimination often causes the detector to false a coin on big iron because it doesn't give you the tell tale iron signal mixed with the coin sound due to it being discriminated out.

Lastly go SLOW over a suspect target. A fast swing with both my machines will ding a coin sound on big or bent iron every time but if I then do a slow pass it says iron with every swing.

I hope this helps.

Also consider turning off discrimination. It may make a lot of noise but it will usually tell you it's iron. I find discrimination often causes the detector to false a coin on big iron because it doesn't give you the tell tale iron signal mixed with the coin sound due to it being discriminated out..

This^

Is why, I think I hardly ever, ever, dig a nail....

People think I am full of BS when I say that, but I don't dig nails unless they are in a hole with a coin.. Not counting the ones mixed in with good targets maybe one nail, for every 400 targets...

<*)))>{

Nature of the beast...especially when you're digging deep or in extremely dry ground. Iron targets are mostly hard to pinpoint in the same spot twice, and the number and tone jump is also a giveaway. We all get fooled at times, but in older ground, digging the off sounding targets can pay big...when in doubt, dig.

This^

Is why, I think I hardly ever, ever, dig a nail....

People think I am full of BS when I say that, but I don't dig nails unless they are in a hole with a coin.. Not counting the ones mixed in with good targets maybe one nail, for every 400 targets...

<*)))>{

Lol yep! I have posted run your machine wide open and listen to everything and some folks act like I have no idea what I'm doing.

It's all good they leave more behind for me! :D

Back
Top Bottom